Unhealthy sponsors for the 2012 Olympics - thoughts?

Options

Replies

• kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Did someone just say that nobody watches the Olympics?
    NBC loses money hand over fist when they air the Olympics. Not enough viewers = less advertising revenue.
    Maybe it's a US thing but 4billion people watched at least part of the Athens Olympics on TV.
    That's probably true. It may be very popular in other countries. I just know in the U.S., it's a big loss to air it and most broadcasters don't even bid for it because it's such a drain. I only know of one friend that even watches it. Everyone else I'm familiar with hates the Olympics. I myself MIGHT watch the finals in Hockey if Team Canada makes it, but that would be it.

Thai is sooooo bizarre given how many times the US actively bids to host the Olympic Games.

Going back to the OP.... McDonald's and Coca-Cola are probably the two biggest sponsors of any event and while I have certain moral objections to Ronald and his bunch of corproate numpties, I drink Diet Coke and Dr Pepper Zero (which is produced and distributed by Coca-Cola in the UK).

The only time that so-called unhealthy products were banned from sponsorship was with the ban on cigarette companies and that lost $/£millions for motor racing, snooker and the like, but they certainly didn't lose out and new sponsorship deals were signed.

Sponsorship is big business and certainly at the Olympic and FIFA level, sponsorship also comes with certain rights, such as McDonald's attempt to ban fries. They also once tried to ban a Scots woman from calling her small sandwich shop in the Highlands, "McMunchies" claiming they owned the terms Mc and Mac - you can guess that was not a smart move in a nation where half the population have a McSomeone-or-other in their lineage. :laugh:

Actually, looking at the list of official partners, supporters and supplies it's strange that none of the big sporting brands are involved; you'd have thought Nike or Adidas would want to get a look in, but maybe they keep their sponsorship to national teams ???
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I think it shows that the companies that make all the money are the ones the make unhealthy things for us to consume.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    on a side note (of course) I've always been impressed with what Virginia Slims did for women's tennis and women's sports in general......just sayin
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've mentioned it before on here... what an eye-opening occasion it was for me when I attended an event put on by a local running club, with post a post run spread that included brownies, pizza, candy bars, donuts, soda and beer. These were all very athletic runners, low body fat, great shape... and they were eating and enjoying all of the above. I didn't hear the word "calorie" mentioned once.

The "OMG! I can't eat THAT!!!!!!!" mentality seems to mostly belong to "dieters," and not necessarily to healthy, athletic people. My fitness role models are those that understand that anything can be consumed... in moderation. Soda, fast food and beer can have a place in your life.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Promoting unhealthy food to children is a non issue. They don't go out and buy on their own. Doesn't matter at all who promotes the Olympics. McDonald's and Coke have been doing it for years and years. Olympics would be dumb to turn down the money. I see no issue with them sponsoring.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the products the sponsors make, don't buy them.
    There, problem solved.

If you want the Olympics to suck (even more than they already do), ban "unhealthy" sponsors.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It's capitalism at it's best. It's what we want, what we fight to keep.

But, at the same time, if I were advertising for McD's, I would try to make this an opportunity to launch a campaign for a healthy alternative. You know how they have those ribs for a limited time. It would be a good time to launch a new salad, a new veggie burger or something.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't care because from the fiscal perspective it makes perfect sense.

Money drives everything.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    There is a bridge that spans the front of Stratford station and the shopping centre which has clear glass sides. As I was crossing the bridge this morning, all the glass on the bridge was being covered with coke advertisements. The underpasses from the station to the shopping centre are plastered with McDonalds advertising, and as you have to go through Westfield shopping centre to get to the Olympic stadium, there is no way to avoid Coke or McDonalds advertising en route. I suppose we have to just accept that this is how such events are funded.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    It's just about the money. Who has the money to sponsor? Big companies. Does it make it right? No, but you know those athletes aren't loading up on McD's and beer before the games!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    It pretty much disgusts me.
    Hi,

I'm just watching Newsnight and there's been a section on the sponsors of the London 2012 Olympics.

Basically the sponsors include Macdonalds, Coca Cola and Heineken. In fact, I've just looked on the website and there are no healthy sponsors at all!

I was just wondering if you thought this was wrong and that it's promoting the wrong things to the public, especially children? Or that it's just sponsorship and it doesn't matter?

Personally I think such an event that promotes fitness and health should have the sponsors to match!

Just thought it would be interesting to see what people thought :)
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've thought the same things! I even see pizza and burger ads on health websites. Just saying.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Money is money.
  • jewels68
    jewels68 Posts: 89
    Options
    Funny you started this topic. My 19 year old daughter brought this up the other day on her Face Book. Just doesn't make sence. But a burger at McDonalds is cheaper than a salad. And they wonder why the US is over weight.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    McDonalds has been sponsoring the Olympics since 1976....at least they're giving their money to a good cause.

Aside from that, it would be nice if the 'healthy' sponsors were more in the forefront, but as everyone else said...big companies = big dollars!
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    You can still eat McDonalds now and then, have a Coke or a Heineken, and be fit and healthy.....Besides, organic carrot companies won't sell a lot of carrots at the olympics.....
    Agree! I love McDonalds but rarely eat it. Everythings healthy in moderation. I have McDonalds about once a month if that but i have some form of "unhealthy/junk food" at least once a week and i still consider myself a healthy person cause i work hard enough to be able to eat those foods. On the other hand though, there should be at least one healthy sponser in there and not just fast food places or high calorie drinks.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Did someone just say that nobody watches the Olympics?

That was my reaction as well.

I'm an American and I love the Olympics. My whole house watches every event we can religiously. Hell, we were like that just for the trials.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    "Everything is healthy in moderation".

What a complete and utter nonsense statement.

Only because something doesn't harm you as a one off, that doesn't mean it's 'healthy'.
  • eaddyphd
    eaddyphd Posts: 6
    Options
    As a former marketing executive I totally get it. Mileage! (audience, reach, timing). health wise, if any of these companies have anything healthy, natural or even enhancing - if they were smart this would be the place to change their image because of the nature of the audience. 62% of the audience are people who are in some way competitive, present or former athletic, exercising, and health conscience people. Now that's a market they should go after because we pay more for good products because we value our health. VERSUS- the person who lives off the dollar menu or drinks five cokes a day.

:happy:
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    This topic is kind of funny. It's all about the money- not sure why some of you have a problem with it. McDonalds and Coke are 2 major companies and sponsor lots of events. McDonald's sponsors the Ronald McDonald house which helps families of injured and seriously ill children- many with cancer. Does that mean they shouldn't b/c they aren't necessarily promoting a healthy lifestyle?