Unhealthy sponsors for the 2012 Olympics - thoughts?

Options

Replies

• Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    "Everything is healthy in moderation".

What a complete and utter nonsense statement.

Only because something doesn't harm you as a one off, that doesn't mean it's 'healthy'.
    Urm whatever! It's my opinion thanks! I eat McDs from time to time, im not over weight or have any health problems ect there fore its not unhealthy!
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why is it ironic that McD's is sponsoring the Olympics. They know it will draw a huge audience that they can market to. We, as that market have the choice to go to McD's or not. Just as if Whole Foods was advertising, we could choose to go there or not. You can get decent food at McD's and really anything in moderation is ok.

The bottom line is it takes a ton of money to put on something like the Olympics and if there were no corporate sponsors, then they would not happen. So many people like to blame the advertiser instead of the weakness of the consumer. We, as consumers, have the ability to say "no". If we don't, is that McD's fault or ours? My kids have asked about going to a restaurant after seeing an ad and my wife and I were able to tell them "no". It is really not that hard.
  • Rockontoothpicks
    Options
    When I was growing up Nascar was sponsored by Winston and many cigarette companies but it didn't make me smoke. I didn't have any illusion that Dale Earnhardt was smoking a pack of cigs as he was speeding the race track.
    When I see as an adult that Kia is the sponsor of the NBA I do not believe for a second that Kobe and Lebron James are driving Kia coupes around in their spare time.
    Marketers and big companies put their name on huge sporting events because their are millions of eyes on them not because the sport mirrors their target audience to a T. If Tampons put forth enough money the NFL would have Eli Manning doing Tampon commercials tomorrow.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've thought the same things! I even see pizza and burger ads on health websites. Just saying.

I'm healthy and I eat pizza and burgers. I don't see a problem.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options

Only because something doesn't harm you as a one off, that doesn't mean it's 'healthy'.
    Urm whatever! It's my opinion thanks! I eat McDs from time to time, im not over weight or have any health problems ect there fore its not unhealthy!

It's nothing to do with "opinion"...

What you're trying to express is that certain foods if consumed in moderation won't cause one any harm. There is a big difference in that and claiming they're "healthy".
  • Charloo1990
    Options
    Yeah, I've thought the same things! I even see pizza and burger ads on health websites. Just saying.

I'm healthy and I eat pizza and burgers. I don't see a problem.
    Thankyou!!! I could not agree more. I eat pizza near enough every Saturday atm and im not unhealthy. I work hard through the week to be able to have these treats. Its part of a healthy balanced diet how i see it.
  • supermoo2
    supermoo2 Posts: 77
    Options
    It is a fact of life with most sporting events - try to encourage fitness, but the sponsorship is almost always from companies that provide unhealthy eating and or other habits (eg smoking when they were able to advertise cigarettes).
  • Charloo1990
    Options

It's nothing to do with "opinion"...

What you're trying to express is that certain foods if consumed in moderation won't cause one any harm. There is a big difference in that and claiming they're "healthy".
    Its unhealthy if i went to McDonalds every day and had burgers every day. I have it once a month, if that and the rest of the time i eat very healthily therefore the odd McD's isnt gunna touch me cause i can stop at one now and again. Nothing unhealthy about that. Sheeeshe!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Its just sponsorship...has to come from somewhere or there would be no Olympics...
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    IOC wants there to be as much money for sponsors as possible so that their bribes are as high as possible when they are choosing host countries. :)
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    *smacks head against a brick wall*

But there is a difference between "not harmful" and "healthy"...

I'm sorry if you don't get it. I couldn't put it any simpler.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    This topic is kind of funny. It's all about the money- not sure why some of you have a problem with it. McDonalds and Coke are 2 major companies and sponsor lots of events. McDonald's sponsors the Ronald McDonald house which helps families of injured and seriously ill children- many with cancer. Does that mean they shouldn't b/c they aren't necessarily promoting a healthy lifestyle?

Well said!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Still, what's wrong with a child enjoying a Happy Meal every few weeks or so after a morning of Saturday sport? I'd rather children learned to approach fast food responsibly and associated it with something positive, like the achievements of their favourite Olympians than view it as immoral and not to be gone near at any cost. That just sets the stage for disordered eating later in life.

Hear hear. And no doubt that's what the research shows: kids are only eating at McDonalds once every few weeks or so. It's not like poor families are eating a significant number of their meals from fast food outlets, is it?

Sure, McDonald's food is unhealthy for kids, a big driver of obesity, diabetes, heart disease. But let's teach responsibility!

It's like with smoking. Kids need to learn at an early age one cigarette with friends after a good meal is acceptable, but smoking an entire pack a day is just too much.

Free choice, I say. I'm glad the Olympics will help drive that message home to more and more young kids.

--P
  • aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    Options
    I find it a bit ironic/humorous because there is no way these Olympic athletes are sucking down Coke and doubtful that they have recently, if ever, touched a McDonalds "food" item. However, at least there is money going to a great event, so the people ignorant enough to eat at McDonalds are giving their money to athletics.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    This topic is kind of funny. It's all about the money- not sure why some of you have a problem with it. McDonalds and Coke are 2 major companies and sponsor lots of events. McDonald's sponsors the Ronald McDonald house which helps families of injured and seriously ill children- many with cancer. Does that mean they shouldn't b/c they aren't necessarily promoting a healthy lifestyle?

Well said!

I'm sure cigarette manufacturers also help kids with cancer.

--P
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    it's stupid personaly but it's the same with football sponsers MARS.....please.. :noway:
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    Free choice, I say.

As stated before... 800 food retail outlets in the Olympics vicinity are prevented from trading foods MacD sell. There will be bag searches and you're not permitted to bring your own food.

Where is the choice?
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It's funny when people assume that Olympians don't ever eat fast food or drink soda or beer. The sponsors aren't necessarily representative of anything anyway. They just have a lot of money.

I've never really looked as sponsers as examples of the way the olympians ate or drank...but I'm like the few others on here, I assume they probably do eat and drink fast foods and beers on occasion, and I do too!!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Meh... McDonald's and Coke have been huge sponsers for as long as I can remember.... I'm not too concerned about it... because seriously, I doubt someone like Kashi or Whole Foods is going to have the capital to sponsor olympic athletes like McDonald's and Coke....
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why this is a problem? Think about it.....we all eat bad once in a while and lets face it fast food companies have been making healthier choices. Its not just fast food that gives people bad choices but we are the ones who make the choices. There are many healthy choices at McDonalds now. Coke is just another drink that people want to drink. It does not mean that people drink it all day. If you are bored drinking water all the time its ok to have a coke once in awhile. I think its cool that these companies are helping fund an awesome competition. I don't know why people always have to bash the fast food companies. Just because its not healthy for you. Stop blaming other people for your bad choices, that is how I see it. We all know it is bad for us just like smokers know its bad for you to smoke but people still do it. End Rant