How do you people stay at 1200 a day??

Options
crzyone
crzyone Posts: 872 Member
I have been doing this for a long time and I can not stay under calories, no matter how hard I try. How do you people do it??? I looked at some of your diaries and that ones I looked at.....one ate one meal a day and some vitamins, one ate protein shakes twice a day and a salad for the other, the others complain about not being able to get to 1200 a day, one eats pizza and goes over and still says he/she loses two lbs a week.

Don't you people get hungry??? How do you do it?????? I know, yes, my exercise is not where it should be and I"m working on it (majorly obese here so I'm working at it) but the diaries I was referring to didn't have any exercise calories listed in at the bottom....

Don't you get hungry?????? I'm beginning to think all these numbers maybe too complicated for this brain to figure out, too (like another post said).

:(

Replies

• Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think that everyone is different and that the quality of the calories counts as much as the numbers. Focus on your healthy habits and you will find the right amount of calories for your needs.
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to stick at 1200 - it would be too few calories for me and I know I would give up. So I exercise and eat back my exercise cals, which typically will give me at least an extra 400-500 cals a day. Also, as you famliarise yourself with cals, you do make better choices. One person likened it to money - what foods will you choose to 'spend' your cals on, a tiny piece of chocolate which will make you hungry again in ten minutes, or an omelette or some soup whch will keep you full for a couple of hours? I know there are loads of arguments surrounding this topic but that's what I do :) And I'm not a gym bunny - my main exercise is walking my dogs. But I walk a lot :smile:

Many people who know more than me say that the MFP starting point of 1200 is too low anyway - there are other threads which explain how to find your goal intake using your BMR. Make sure your activity level is set correctly on here, and get a heart rate monitor to gauge your 'cals used' more accurately. Measure/ weigh your food as well and you may find you can have more - people often find they have been having 70g of something and list it as 100g as they guessed the amount/ weight.
  • lbatkins
    lbatkins Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to find it exceptionally hard to stay under 1200 as well. I struggle with hypoglycemia, so when my sugar drops I have to eat! What works for me is eating about six small meals per day, although it varies how often I need to eat depending on my symptoms. I try to keep snacks at about 100 calories and carry things that I know make me feel full, such as almonds (I buy Emerald's 100 cal packs so I don't over do it) or string cheese. Find any way possible to substitute less healthy ingredients in your recipes; for example use wheat flour instead of white, splenda or agave syrup for sweetener, etc, you can save many calories if you're creative about it. Just watch your portions and pay careful attention to packaging when you're grocery shopping. Drinking club soda with snacks or meals also helps me feel fuller and eat less; there are some really good flavors of sparkling water if you don't like straight club soda. Keeping hydrated helps you feel less hungry. Maximizing calories burned during workouts is also important; if you like to take walks move your mid section and arms and vary your pace. The elliptical burns a lot of calories. Some of your basic household chores can burn a lot of calories as well, though some people don't like to count that on MFP.
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was netting under 1200 for the past 2 weeks or so. Needless to say, yesterday and today, my body has been starving! So I ate and ate. I was losing at 1200 anymore, just the inital water weight pounds, so am hopefully upping my cal's and netting at least 1400 a day will help my body lose. The more I exercise, the more I can eat :D At first I wasn't eating back my exercise calories, now I am all the way!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am like you. When I eat 1200 calories a day I am hungry, angry, I feel weak and lose my hairs. Now I eat 1700 calories and will never go back to 1200
  • 00fat2fit00
    00fat2fit00 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There's no way I'd be able to just do 1200 cals. When I first joined MFP I also bought a Fitbit, which is an electronic pedometer that automatically syncs with MFP and adds calories everyday. And the only thing I did was start walking. That's it. I walked my dog for longer time periods more frequently and because I weigh so much it burned a lot of calories!! No need to jump straight into hard core workouts to start getting some killer rewards. But I find that little Fitbit is so helpful for me. If I am out of calories and want to eat something I go out and walk for an hour, when I get home... BAM hundreds of calories. So I would strongly recommend that.
  • momof4ts
    momof4ts Posts: 118
    Options
    Yesterday was the first day i blew it!! Olive garden salad was deceiving!!! Then i had homemade icecream before i knew i was too high!!

I eat hard boiled eggs, yogurt, all the veggies i can, fruit , turkey, tuna, chicken and salads! Very rarely am i hungry. When my family starts snacking i grab the broccilli or cauliflaur!

Feel free to look at my diary! Good luck!! You can do it, but you do need your exercise calories to eat back.
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 1200 cals a day for the most part since January when I actually started MFP. I've been able to stick with it by eating lots of fruits, vegetables, almonds, greek yogurt, eggs, lean meats and fish. I try to eat low carb, high protein. If I eat carb/starchy food, I limit to 1-2 servings a day and then I only have things that are whole grain like oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat bread, etc. I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks each day. Meals are about 300 cals each and snacks are below 200. Some days, depending on how many cals I burn during workouts, I eat back some of my cals. Also I have a "cheat" meal once every 2 weeks or so. I also try to cook things using fresh ingredients as much as possible rather than using pre-packaged items to help cut down on sodium. So far, that's what has worked for me. This is the longest time I've stuck with losing weight and I think it is because I've found something that I can do without being hungry all the time.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Don't lose heart :flowerforyou: . You aren't the only one! I have a huge appetite and I cannot stay under 1200 either. I get headaches and acidity if I eat under 1200. Its wayyyyy too low for me. Since I need to eat more, I work out so I can have more food and still net under 1200 cals. Up your calories to 1400 or 1500 and begin working out slowly, little by little every day. Soon you'll be able to work out more and keep your net calorie intake near 1200.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/491231-a-1200-calorie-diet-for-a-woman/

You choose foods with high nutrition value but lower calories.

"Staples for a 1,200-calorie plan might include skinless chicken breast, shrimp, egg whites, canned beans, dark leafy greens, cut-up raw vegetables, melon, berries, apples, brown rice, oatmeal and whole-grain bread."

OP, I suppose you will be doctor supervised if on 1200?
  • upperroomgigi
    upperroomgigi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started and this is my third day, but I have been eating about 90% clean foods, staying around the 1200 cal mark and have not felt hungry. Maybe it is your food choices. You can add me as a friend and see my diary. Hang in there. Like others have said, I eat 100 cal. snacks like almonds or walnuts to stave off cravings.
  • taylor_lynn
    Options
    I try and stay at 1300/day (NOT net) and don't typically and eat back my burned calories. I just leave those extra calories there in case I underestimated on something, or there's a special occasion and I want to eat more than normal. 1200, is quite low especially if you're burning a lot of calories during the day. If you're really struggling staying under 1200 and you're eating CLEAN (not a bunch or processed or fast foods) then up your calories a bit and see what works for you. As long as you're seeing results then there shouldn't be anything wrong with upping your calories!
  • kdom316
    kdom316 Posts: 10
    Options
    I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. You just have to eat low calorie foods and watch your portions PLUS exercise. I would go over 1200 every single day if I did not exercise, I probably actually eat around 1500 and then exercise anywhere from 300-600 calories a day off.
  • crzyone
    Options
    Actually, I guess I mispoke..MY goal is 1700, set by this site, but I see lots of people who say that they stay at 1200 so I guess I was just lashing out at THAT particular number. I can't seem to stay under 1700. I eat A LOT of healthy food........but apparently not low cal enough......because I struggle with the numbers....and the scales have gone no where.....I guess exercise is the key and I have not built up to that hour of mad crazy exercise yet.....ugh......I just am doing a MILLION times better than I was BEFORE I started this and I still can't get the lbs to go anywhere....I don't know why I didn't weigh four tons when I think about how I ate before and how I ate now....if eating the way I eat now gains lbs then I truly don't know why I wasn't dead from my weight before....honestly....
  • halliedoll
    halliedoll Posts: 171
    Options
    I have been doing this for a long time and I can not stay under calories, no matter how hard I try. How do you people do it??? I looked at some of your diaries and that ones I looked at.....one ate one meal a day and some vitamins, one ate protein shakes twice a day and a salad for the other, the others complain about not being able to get to 1200 a day, one eats pizza and goes over and still says he/she loses two lbs a week.

Don't you people get hungry??? How do you do it?????? I know, yes, my exercise is not where it should be and I"m working on it (majorly obese here so I'm working at it) but the diaries I was referring to didn't have any exercise calories listed in at the bottom....

Don't you get hungry?????? I'm beginning to think all these numbers maybe too complicated for this brain to figure out, too (like another post said).

Hello there, I am on a 1200 calorie a day limit as well and it is actually fairly easy for me. I do not by any means eat nothing but protein shakes and vitamins, or only have one meal a day. I actually tend to eat a lot. What helps me most is exercsing off excess calories. I do a workout video every morning 5 times a week, You are more than welcome to take a look at my diary and friend me. Its a whole lot easier to stick to it and do well when you have great and encouraging accountaility partners here on the site. The 1200 calorie a day goal is very attainable. Dont give up! Whatever you do. DO NOT GIVE UP!! You can do it. 1200 calories a day is easy if you're eating the right things :smile:
  • mesee619
    mesee619 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    awh--1200 is hard to stick to--especially when you are a eater. Well you are in the right place!.We all love to eat. However you have to trick your mind. For example let's look at breakfast. 2 eggs and bacon is roughly 150 cal for each egg and 75-100 for each slice of bacon--wow about 400 cals. But egg beaters--or even egg whites are about 30 cals per serving. 1/2 cup seem like nothing wet but cooked you have a plate full! add turkey bacon 35 cal a piece and you got a meal under 200 cals. There are a lot of tricks that could turn 1200 to tons of food. Keep in mind the "cheap foods" and you will be munching all day. Cheap food lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers. 1 med roma tomato is just 35 cal. Eat two and some tuna and you full. Add water to all the above and you are stuffed!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Not ever hungry...if I get hungry, I eat. It's pretty simple. AND when I do get hungry, I don't go seeking junk food. I only workout on the weekends (going to start walking during the week again since the weather is calming down a bit)
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you have a large amount of weight to lose, you should be given more than 1200 calories in the system. Generally, it's not wise to eat below your BMR (basal metabolic rate) as this is the amount of calories your body needs if it were in coma. For me, at 230 lbs, that amount is around 1750. Eating this amount, I still easily lose 2 lbs a week as I ensure my total daily burn exceeds 2800. I have a Body Media Fit, which shows how many calories you burn in a day.
  • Asbcandoit
    Asbcandoit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi --- today is my first day counting calories and this is how I stayed within 1200. (just hope I do not snack too much before bed)

Breakfast: High fiber cereal + skim milk (I mixed 2 types of cereal -- about 1.5 servings and 1/2 cup milk); also had coffee
    Snack: handful of almonds and 2 apricots
    Lunch: I made a salad with some romaine lettuce, can of tuna, tomato, cucumber, feta cheese, salt, peper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I also had a small chocolate biscotti (110 calories).
    Snack: 1 cup of cherries
    Dinner: I made whole wheat quesadilla filled with lots of sauteed veggies (peppers, broccoli, tomato) and a bit of cheddar cheese. I had a peach for dessert.
    I also drank 8 glasses of water.
    Generally if you make your own food using fresh ingredients, incorporate a lot of vegetables, eat whole wheat (I eat everything whole wheat --- breads, pasta, etc.), snack on nuts, veggies and fruit and watch portion size, it is manageable. I imagine doing this daily is challenging but if you exercise, you should be able to eat more.
    Good luck!
  • crzyone
    Options
    I drink water, I eat lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, lots fruit, spinach, lean chicken breast......but somewhere, oh somewhere I throw in a potato or some ranch or something that adds up..... :( I also tend to get up at night and snack because I can't sleep...THAT is what usually throws me wayyyyyyyyyyyyy over..... :(

Thank you all for responding....I just feel whiney today and am not seeing any progress and it gets frustrating....

Thank you though for your thoughts....I will take them to heart and keep them in mind and get to moving more.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!