How do you people stay at 1200 a day??

Options

Replies

• gpotosnak
    gpotosnak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    See http://www.amazon.com/Lose-Weight-Hate-Ritchie-Shoemaker/dp/0966553527
    You should not be hungry - it will just make your body go into starvation mode and store fat rather then passing it through...

Simply put eat more protein, good fats (like in nuts) and eat lots of complex carbs only. Also avoid all foods that grow underground(Potato's, carrots, peanuts etc) All fruits are OK except bananas. And no grains except Corn.

The book has recipes and details why some people can eat anything and why others are basically unable to process some things which causes them to store everything as fat rather then burn it. Its in our genes - well worth reading. best of Luck.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    MFP told me to be at 1200. When I sat down and did the actual correct calculations my actual intake was 1550, and after trying to stay at 1200.. I can do 1550 no problem!!! :)
  • chicanita91
    chicanita91 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Drinking two cups of water before every meal really helps fill you up!
  • 1newcat
    1newcat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    For me, I think a lot of my frustration came from not knowing the difference in myself between feeling unsatisfied with my meals versus hungry. I could fill myself up all i want on grilled chicken salads, but they weren't enjoyable after a while or incredibly satisfying... i translated that into hunger. And by sheer stubborness i could keep at it for a while, but sooner or later i would give in little by little. I have put a lot of effort into cooking for myself this time around and it's making a big difference in how i feel after i eat. I am not disappointed or let down... so there are quite a few days i do struggle with getting my calories up. Anyway, don't know if that could be a contributing factor, but thought i'd offer my two cents :)
  • mauswood
    mauswood Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You might want to bump your calories up a little. Just the act of carrying around the extra weight means that you're burning a lot of calories. Try 16 to 1700 to start with and then as you get more used to that it's a little easier to bump it down. The trick is to find low calorie foods that fill your stomach up. I ate a LOT of baby carrots and hummus, veggies, fish, lean meats, and drank tons of water. If you fill up on low calorie things that take awhile to eat it gives your body time to realize that it's full. A little trick that I use - I use mini silverware - tiny forks and small spoons. Takes me way longer to get through my meals and makes me feel like I've been eating a way bigger portion than I actually was. When I use full size silverware the same "large" meal might take just a few bites haha. Good luck though, and just remember that when you're first starting out you shouldn't try to stick to a calorie level that's going to discourage you and make you want to give up. Every baby step counts :)
  • lbyman38
    lbyman38 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 a day, I don't always have time for the gym with my job. I find 3 meals a day and 3 snacks keeps me full. My meals are usually 300 calories each and then I have an additional 300 for snacks. Sure I get hungry, but I can get hungry on 2000 cal too. I just find eatting smaller amounts more frequently is what helps me. Right now I'm starving, but supper is in the oven so I'm just holding out.
    Also know where empty calories are.. pop? yeah 150 calories for nothing.. not happening. An example of what I eat in a day

breakfast - 1 egg & eggwhite omlette with veggies and 1 slice of multigrain toast.
    snack - greek yogurt
    lunch - salad, nuts and cottage cheese or leftover meat and usually some salad.
    snack - veggies and light dip or cottage cheese (sometimes both...)
    supper - typically meat and either potato, sprouted rice blend or pasta. or sometimes we eat vegetarian. I use recipes on skinnytaste.com very frequently
    snack - I love homemade popcorn in the evening ( not everyday, but often enough)

and yeah thats usually about 1200 calories give or take... I find I way exceed protein and am way under in carbs, but thats okay.
    If you want more calories you need to exercise so if you are going to splurge on a meal go for a walk. All diet and weight loss is calories in - calories out. Good luck.. you need to find what works for you!
  • Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's not hard. I eat mostly fruit, veggies, granola, chicken, and fish. I try to only go over 1200 a little on days I work out.
  • valleemic
    valleemic Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The only way I can stick to 1200 cals/day and not be hungry is to add lots of fruit and veggies (low in cals)... If one doesn't like fruit and veggies, it could be hard!
  • redneckcaseysgirl88
    Options
    Plan the night before for your next day & read calories on food packages. I stay at 1200 or 1300 a day and I eat 3x's a day and drink plenty of water & I don't get hungry.
  • mylifesjourney
    mylifesjourney Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Are you saying you need to eat all of your calories in order to lose the weight? Because usually I have a few hundered calories left at the end of the day because I am not hungry enough to eat more.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    OP, if you are over 300 pounds, you can probably eat more like 1800 - 2000 calories per day. I started out eating 2000 (I was 357) and dropped to 1870 just recently (I'm 312 now).
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I try to be around 1200 calories (my dr. said 1200 - 1300).
    Breakfast is bagel thin with laughing cow strawberry cream cheese, 2 pc Kraft fat free cheese slice
    and banana

Snack is 100 calorie pack of chex mix

Lunch is sandwich thins with turkey, frozen peas, salad w/ fat free itialian, snack size no sugar added mandarain oranges

Dinner varies - suggestions are
    baked chicken breast with frozen vegies and a little ice cream cup
    smart ones frozen dinner
    progresso light soups
    chinese carryout - white rice with hot and sour soup or won ton soup
    Popeyes jambalaya and 1 or 2 chicken strips

If I still have extra calories I will eat some peanut butter, nuts, popcorn, glass of milk or vanilla silk soy milk.

I only eat back about half of my exercise calories because i think the MFP counts are a lot higher than actual.

If I am still under calories i will eat a little peanut butter or some nuts. Maybe some light popcorn.
  • KOlmert
    KOlmert Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    portion control! When I first started, I physically measured everything I ate! Now, I can visually tell how much most things are!
  • jess393
    jess393 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Years ago I lost a lot of weight very quickly by only eating 1200. NOW, there's no way. I follow the tdee, and it is working wayyy better for me :) I'm never starving, I have a decent amount of energy, and I'm not as crabby (win-win for everyone, haha). I like it this way... don't think I could eat 1200 if I tried, now!
  • justwannadance
    Options
    Maybe, I am doing this wrong.
    I have a Special K protein shake in the morning at 8:00am. It sustains me until about 10 where I eat and orange and water. At 12:00pm I have been eating chicken breast and 2 slices of whole wheat bread. At 2:00 or so I have another orange and then for dinner (tonight) I had 1/2 cup of mac and cheese and a grilled lightly seasoned pork chop. Before I eat anything I consume one whole bottle of water. This way I have my daily water serving and I also stay full longer. I haven;t been working out recently but I don't over do myself either! Hope this helps some.
  • SCsexy1
    SCsexy1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I agree that losing the soda is a major plus and will make you feel better in general. Walking, dancing, and even cleaning (yes, cleaning, and you will get something else accomplished in the meantime) are great ways to exercise without even feeling like you are exercising and getting burnt out when you are starting out.
  • DanielleHinkle24
    DanielleHinkle24 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Actually, I guess I mispoke..MY goal is 1700, set by this site, but I see lots of people who say that they stay at 1200 so I guess I was just lashing out at THAT particular number. I can't seem to stay under 1700. I eat A LOT of healthy food........but apparently not low cal enough......because I struggle with the numbers....and the scales have gone no where.....I guess exercise is the key and I have not built up to that hour of mad crazy exercise yet.....ugh......I just am doing a MILLION times better than I was BEFORE I started this and I still can't get the lbs to go anywhere....I don't know why I didn't weigh four tons when I think about how I ate before and how I ate now....if eating the way I eat now gains lbs then I truly don't know why I wasn't dead from my weight before....honestly....

I know exactly where you are coming from when you say "I just am doing a MILLION times better that I was BEFORE I started this and I still can't ge the lbs to go anywhere". Before I started with MFP (again), I was probably consuming at least 3,000 calories a day of junk (chips, sweets, candy, processed food, and a ton of diet soda). I felt terrible - sluggish, tired, and bloated. For me, I had to start "hard core" meaning that I eliminated all processed foods, all sugar, dairy, grains, alcohol, and diet soda. The first few days were VERY HARD but I kept telling myself that it would be worth it in the end and that I could do anything for a few days. I noticed that once I stopped eating all the crap (that I had been eating up until that point), I didn't crave it. HOWEVER, even though I had dramatically changed what I was eating and my calories were about a third less, the scale was not moving - AT ALL. I tried to tell myself that I didn't put all this weight on overnight and that it was going to take a long time to lose it. Slowly, I began to see a pound here and there. Hang in there!! This way of eating has it's challenges in that there you need to plan ahead. I work full time so I have to know in advance what I am having for lunch (typically leftovers from the previous night's dinner).
    There are often times when I am not even hungry which is hard to believe from a life long "big girl" who loves to eat. So, as other writers have mentioned, it's the kind of calories we consume that often do us in. I highly recommend the book, "It Starts With Food" by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig. If you decide to read it, do so with an open mind. I was highly skeptical and kept saying "there is no way I can eat like this" but I have and am now on day 20. I plan to proceed this way for as long as I can. Although, I am very strict with myself right now, after 30 days, if I go out to dinner or have a bite of something sweet for a celebration I'm not going to stress about it. Think about it..."It Starts With Food". Best of Luck to you!!
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Oh sure, I can stay at 1200 a day...for about three days after the inevitable 2,000 - 3,000 calorie binge. LOL.

When I first started losing weight, I stayed at around 1200 and got used to it - probably because I wasn't exercising too much. I would have a 1300 calorie day every few days though sheer mismanagement though.

I now eat between 1200 - 1500 per day.(I grunt and bear with those 1200 calorie rest days) and exercise very intensely on the others.

I am losing more weight on higher calories than on 1200 per day because I am not very tempted to binge.Mu hunger is manageable or minor now.

If you want to try 1200 calories a day, here are a few hints that I found vital to doing it:

Eat small meals often, not large meals a few times a day that will trigger appetite later.

Avoid stuff heavy in added sugar, go for low calorie substantial high fiber foods like a sweet potato half or a 100 calorie popcorn bag.

Try to eat foods high in volume.

Avoid added fats (nothing wrong with fat, but it is dense so your food will be higher in overall calories)

Take vitamins. Learn to love fruit & veg.

Practice overestimating your calories every now and then, since people are prone to underestimate. Assume that piece of pie is just a bit larger than you remember it. Add vegetables to your rice mixes so the overall calories are lower per cup than just the rice mix alone. If you try this you will likely be more accurate in calorie counting since as human beings we are prone to underestimate what we eat.
  • icandoanything2
    icandoanything2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    when i first started losing weight, i could not eat at or under 1200. i found it really hard. i focused on the foods i ate and made healthier choices. weight loss doesn't happen overnight, so if you need to, take it slow.
  • amills1152
    amills1152 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Simple: Do a forum search for "In Place of a Road Map" - it's likely you aren't meant to be @ 1200 calories a day!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!