Jerk at the Gym

Options
GLJezebel
GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
Okay, I need opinions. I was at the gym tonight and I wanted to do some shoulder exercises with the hand weights. They have these stools at the gym and sometimes the weight lifting guys use them so the stools are moved around all over the gym. I did 3 sets of 15 on the hip abduction and the hip adduction while keeping my eye on a lone stool over by one of the big weight lifting bars and there was no one using it. So after I finished I went over and got the stool and moved it to the front of the gym and started doing my shoulder exercises. After a few minutes this guy comes over to me and points at the stool and asks if he can use it. I said that I was using it. So he walks away but then stands about 15 feet away from me and just stares at me. Then he starts pacing around, then stops and stares. This goes on for a few minutes and when I am getting ready to start my last 12 reps he comes back over to me and tells me that he will bring a CHAIR over for me so he can use the stool. I told him I was almost finished and he said "You took it away from me". I told him that it was not in use when I took it, that it hadn't been in use for at least 5 minutes before I took it, and that I was using it.

He then tells me that he is a "nice guy" and I said "No, you are not being a nice guy. You were standing there staring at me, trying to intimidate me, and that is rude". Then he calls me a bi***. I was so mad and I should have stood my ground but I walked away and told him he was a jerk and a jacka$$.

One of the regular guys who I see at the gym all the time asked me what happened and I told him. He said I should have reported the guy to the front desk. I know I should have but I didn't because I don't want problems. I have never seen this guy there before and I am there every day.

Why do people have to act that way? Was I wrong to move the stool when no one was using it? Just because I was using a little 4 lb hand weight and he was lifting heavy weights, does that give him more right to use than me?

Replies

• couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    No, you waited and checked to see if anyone was using it first. Either he left to pee, which frankly removes his rights to the bench unless he had his towel on it, or he was trying to strike up a conversation with you (but did it poorly) or he's a douche-nozzle. In any case, you were perfectly in your rights. :flowerforyou:
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    OMG - that was you? I'm so sorry. Had I known you were on MFP, I wouldn't have stared at you. However, I am a nice guy.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • GoalByFifty
    GoalByFifty Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    some people think they own the gym...it sounds like you stood your ground. these are the types of people i cannot stand at the gym. Total *kitten*....
  • GLJezebel
    Options
    No, you waited and checked to see if anyone was using it first. Either he left to pee, which frankly removes his rights to the bench unless he had his towel on it, or he was trying to strike up a conversation with you (but did it poorly) or he's a douche-nozzle. In any case, you were perfectly in your rights. :flowerforyou:

Thank you.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I would have reported him, or called a trainer over to help the situation.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    No you weren't wrong and this is why I don't go to gyms...I'm such a B word sometimes I woulda gotten all up in dude's face lol
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I would have done the same thing...what a jerk! Maybe he should lay off the roids and do some cardio for the endorphins! ;P I have never seen a rude person at my gym. In fact, one woman was kind of hogging the weights, but she stepped away so I asked her if I could use the 8lb hand weights for a few minutes. She of course said yes and thanked me for being so polite about it. You were fully in your rights and then some!
  • GLJezebel
    Options
    OMG - that was you? I'm so sorry. Had I known you were on MFP, I wouldn't have stared at you. However, I am a nice guy.

Dude, I KNOW you wouldn't have called me a bi***!
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    What an *kitten*.
  • amphion
    amphion Posts: 48
    Options
    Dudes like that give the rest of us a bad name. I am sorry you had to deal with a douche.
  • coachblt
    Options
    No you weren't wrong and this is why I don't go to gyms...I'm such a B word sometimes I woulda gotten all up in dude's face lol

If you were at the gym, I'd do whatever I could to get you all up in my face. Would you spank me too?

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • coachblt
    Options

Dude, I KNOW you wouldn't have called me a bi***!

Yeah, you're right. I don't call anybody a name like that, nor would I. Well, that's not entirely true, but nobody else is my ex-wife...LMAO!

Actually, I would have gone to another station and returned when you were finished, quietly of course.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Most people that start a dispute with "I'm a nice guy..." aren't, in fact, very nice at all. Report him if it happens in future.
  • GLJezebel
    Options

If you were at the gym, I'd do whatever I could to get you all up in my face. Would you spank me too?

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

HAHA Watch out, buddy! You're in Humble and I'm in Dallas. I KNOW where you are!
  • mliny0204
    mliny0204 Posts: 1
    Options
    WOW!!! You got that right, jerk at the gym!! No, if it is not in use I say it's fair game. It doesn't matter how much weights you are using if you need to use it then use it. There was NO REASON for him to verbally abuse you like that! Someone needs a lesson on how to play in the sandbox for sure! I do think you need to report him though. Imagine how he treats the women in his life if he treats a complete stranger like that. WAY TO GO on the 70 pound weight loss!!! That is wonderful!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    "gym protocol" sez leave a personal item on a bench/stool that you're using so others know it's in use~
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    what a jerkface.

i agree that if it happens again you should report him.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    before i read all of that, is "jerks at the gym" a euphamism?
  • RNGirl72
    RNGirl72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good for you for not giving into his intimidation tactics---and for pointing that out to him. He was very much in the wrong there. Unless the dude was sitting on that stool or had his name engraved on it, it is free game. In fact, in the time he was taking gawking at you and pacing like a gorilla, HE could have grabbed the CHAIR and used it himself.
  • JeffJohnson26
    JeffJohnson26 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You're as entitled to any piece of equipment as the next member. Most people can be civil and work into one another's sets. But every now and then, you just gotta take what's yours!

You should have told that meathead to eff off! haha And should you see him again, let the front desk know you had a prior encounter with him and don't wish to have a second one. Puts him on their radar and he'll be dealt with one way or another.