Low Carb diet

Options
13»

Replies

• bethbournias
    bethbournias Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been one of those people who did great with Adkins and I could take it off quick. I think the longest I stayed on was about 3 months, eating 20g or less a day. My sister is a physician, and she told me that on a diet that has so much protein, you have to be careful with your kidneys because it could cause problems later on. I never had any problems. Right now I'm just trying to lose about 15 pounds, but have found that since I have gotten a little older, it doesn't come off as quickly as it used to (or like I would like it too!!)
  • HerbieSue
    HerbieSue Posts: 288
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for you opinions, It seems to be working right now for me to stay at 20 a day, still have another week and the rest of this one to go then add a few more carbs so I will see. Been walking 3 miles a day plus aerobic exercise and feel good so I will go from there. Thanks again

You look great, keep up the good work!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    What kind of carbs do you eat and stay under 20 and keep cholestrol down

cholesterol and food don't really have much to do with each other apparently, but i am not an expert in this.

for carbs, i eat vegetables, nuts and some dairy, like cream, cheese, sour cream. no milk.
  • ravenraquel83
    Options
    Clinical chemist here...

In the body carbs are broken down into simple sugars in order to enter the Kreb's cycle and make energy for your cells. BUT after you eat more than you need for energy, the alternative pathways are to form fat AND cholesterol. Yes sugar and carbs can turn to cholesterol in the body. Fat and protein are also broken down and also enter the Kreb's cycle but at a different entry point.

Carbs you eat should be plant source. Mostly eat green leaves because you need the fiber and the leaves of plants hold the least sugar; followed by the flowers of plants which have only slightly more sugar (flowers include things like caulifower); followed by fruit which is anything with SEEDS because these have the most sugars that are needed to feed the new plants made by the fruits (banana, tomato, apple).

The reason to eat plant based and complex carbs instead of simple sugars is because of insulin. Insulin is the only hormone in the body that causes glucose to be taken into cells. If you drink down a can of soda, that sugar is ready to go as soon as it is absorbed, and your body releases large amounts of insulin to deal with that large amount of stuff that needs to immediately be taken into cells. Plant based and complex carbs require an enzyme to break them apart first (so they can fit into the cell through the cell wall) thus you don't have the insulin surge because there is no sudden influx of many sugar molecules.

Meh to the kidney problems... that result only happens in people who are diabetic or have other exisiting health issues and go into acidosis. Normal people have enough acid-base balancers to buffer the acidic change caused by acetone and other acid products of fat metabolism. Just make sure you drink enough water to keep all your waste products moving smoothly through the kidney, but that advice isn't because of this diet that is just a good healthy practice.

I did atkins 10 years ago and lost 100 lbs and didn't put any of it back on and didn't have any adverse health affects.

As far as cholesterol, it is by far (90%) a hereditary thing and the only way to make your body change what it is doing as far as making LDL and HDL cholesterol is to exercise daily ...regardless of what you eat.

Good luck!
  • kodakdigitalcamera
    Options
    Low carb is the only way. Carbohydrates can be evil.
  • ravenraquel83
    Options
    By the way, I speak from my own education as a chemist and my own experience on a low carb way of life. I didn't look any of this up on livestrong or any other internet site, nor did i hear it from a doctor (by the way doctors get about 1/10th the education chemists do about metabolism, they learn mainly symptomology and treatment and efficiency)
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I just cut way back on things with white flour and I have had a steady weight loss. I still
    eat my sweet treats in moderation. I pretty much just cut back on bread, pasta and
    rice and stay under my calorie goal. I have lost 56lbs in 5 months.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Clinical chemist here...

In the body carbs are broken down into simple sugars in order to enter the Kreb's cycle and make energy for your cells. BUT after you eat more than you need for energy, the alternative pathways are to form fat AND cholesterol. Yes sugar and carbs can turn to cholesterol in the body. Fat and protein are also broken down and also enter the Kreb's cycle but at a different entry point.

Carbs you eat should be plant source. Mostly eat green leaves because you need the fiber and the leaves of plants hold the least sugar; followed by the flowers of plants which have only slightly more sugar (flowers include things like caulifower); followed by fruit which is anything with SEEDS because these have the most sugars that are needed to feed the new plants made by the fruits (banana, tomato, apple).

The reason to eat plant based and complex carbs instead of simple sugars is because of insulin. Insulin is the only hormone in the body that causes glucose to be taken into cells. If you drink down a can of soda, that sugar is ready to go as soon as it is absorbed, and your body releases large amounts of insulin to deal with that large amount of stuff that needs to immediately be taken into cells. Plant based and complex carbs require an enzyme to break them apart first (so they can fit into the cell through the cell wall) thus you don't have the insulin surge because there is no sudden influx of many sugar molecules.

Meh to the kidney problems... that result only happens in people who are diabetic or have other exisiting health issues and go into acidosis. Normal people have enough acid-base balancers to buffer the acidic change caused by acetone and other acid products of fat metabolism. Just make sure you drink enough water to keep all your waste products moving smoothly through the kidney, but that advice isn't because of this diet that is just a good healthy practice.

I did atkins 10 years ago and lost 100 lbs and didn't put any of it back on and didn't have any adverse health affects.

As far as cholesterol, it is by far (90%) a hereditary thing and the only way to make your body change what it is doing as far as making LDL and HDL cholesterol is to exercise daily ...regardless of what you eat.

Good luck!

evHW2.jpg

Great post!
  • pichild
    pichild Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have done the Atkins diet and lost a ton of weight... however having grown up in an Italian household I find I miss the pasta. I always end up gaining back... I do know a lot of people who were more successful than I long term. Bottom line find what works for your body and your lifestyle. There is no 1 diet that works for every person. It is a matter of finding your balance...gpositive luck to you in your weight management.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i do low carb. feel free to add me!
  • Rhodium1976
    Rhodium1976 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Do you think low carb is bad. I mean I did it a couple years ago and lost 33 pounds. I've only gained 10 of them back, but keep losing them again. RIght now I am staying under 20 carbs a day or at least trying to. for two weeks then I will start bringing certain foods back in slowly, but is it bad to make yourself stay under a certain amount for too long. Thanks for input

There is no advantage of a low carb diet over any other diet, but some people prefer it and I don't think it is "bad" just another way of doing it. Keep in mind there is no low carb/keto hocus pocus, the First Law Thermodynamics still applies and you still have to track kcal. If it works for you and you enjoy it, go for. If not, maintain a kcal deficit and you will lose weight. Personally, I get brain fog doing it and I have a cerebral job that requires brain function, I lift weights, and I live in the real world with carbs, so for me eating at a deficit and getting my macros in at about 40/40/20 works best.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Could you post a more full list of good carbs to eat please?
  • sjwinter
    sjwinter Posts: 2
    Options
    Ah, that is very interesting. I also tried Atkins for about 2 weeks. I just can't eat like that. Also, my sugar actually went up instead of down....I don't get it.