The New Rules of Lifting for Women

Options
crafty30
crafty30 Posts: 132 Member
Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody has got this book and if its any good? I'm tempted to buy it but just wondered peoples views on it please, thanks :-)

Replies

• lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this, as well!
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    There is a group here on MFP :) You should check it out!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

I joined it because I would like to learn more, but have yet to read it. But these ladies have and are very helpful!
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I bought it, read it, liked it, and started it last week. I highly suggest reading thru the stickies on the link navydental posted because the way the workouts are listed are a bit confusing. Once you figure it out, though, its great. Also, you will need to have access to a gym or equipment, or buy a few things. At least a set of dumbells and a barbell with adjustable weights, a swiss ball, a step of some sort, and you really should have a squat rack or something you can use for one. I'm only in stage one so I'm not sure what else might be needed.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    I just posted a thread in reference to this same book. I started yesterday actually doing the work yesterday :) I feel it today but a good soreness not terrible pain.

5'2
    124lbs.
  • crafty30
    Options
    Ah thats great, thanks! and thank you for the link!

I'm not a member of a gym (Cant afford to be either at the moment!) and have only got hand weights...Hmm, Not sure if this would work for me then...Unless I can get some cheap equipment!!

Thanks all
    x
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Check Craigslist or freecycle.org (if you have a group in your area you can get some great stuff for nothing).
  • crafty30
    Options
    Check Craigslist or freecycle.org (if you have a group in your area you can get some great stuff for nothing).

Thank You, I will do! x
  • mercury8826
    Options
    I can't access the link you've provided, and I'd like to look at the group, if that's ok. I haven't quite started the first stage, but I'm confused about the workouts and was looking for a bit of clarification.

Would you be will to help? =o
  • Sk8rG
    Sk8rG Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've just started Stage 4 - you can see the results thus far in my pictures. Honestly, I didn't bother reading all the verbiage about the why and the studies and the blah blah...there are a billion opinions out there....I just went straight to the program and started lifting.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    got it out of the library...i like it! i feel like a BADA$$!
  • tishad58
    tishad58 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I bought the book and I am still reading through it, but like it so far; I feel it was worth the price I paid for it. One of my friends on MFP (and RL) recommends the book. I plan to ask my trainer about it on Monday since I am curious to get her opinion.
  • mrsmerrithew
    mrsmerrithew Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i like it! i feel like a BADA$$!

This^ Times a hundred!

I played with weights a little before getting the book, but really didn't follow a plan. I love this book and I think it explains everything fairly well.

With that said. If you just have hand weights, I don't think it'd be a great investment. You need heavier weights. The idea of this book is to get women off the barbie dumbbells and onto the big heavy stuff - at least that's how I interpret it.
  • CoCoBean14
    CoCoBean14 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I haven't read that book in particular, but I love the NROL for Abs. I definitely recommend the author, it's a really good read!
  • CoCoBean14
    CoCoBean14 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i like it! i feel like a BADA$$!

This^ Times a hundred!

I played with weights a little before getting the book, but really didn't follow a plan. I love this book and I think it explains everything fairly well.

With that said. If you just have hand weights, I don't think it'd be a great investment. You need heavier weights. The idea of this book is to get women off the barbie dumbbells and onto the big heavy stuff - at least that's how I interpret it.

That's exactly what it is. Because your body gets bored lifting 5 lbs, you gotta wake it up and lift heavier!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I can't access the link you've provided, and I'd like to look at the group, if that's ok. I haven't quite started the first stage, but I'm confused about the workouts and was looking for a bit of clarification.

Would you be will to help? =o

You can search for it in the groups if the link doesn't work. What are you confused about?

OP - You will definitely need more than just light dumbbells. I absolutely recommend the book and second searching on craigslist for the equipment you need.
  • mercury8826
    Options
    Well, on the Workout chart it lists the Exercises like this:

A. Squat (page 157)

B1. Push-up (Page 191)

ETC.

My problem is I have an e-book so the "pages" are skewed and don't line up like that. My question is, he wants us to do just the one he's listed? or do we have the freedom to pick a variation of it as long as the variation has the word of the exercise in it... For example, the chart says "Squat" for all 8-10 weeks, in the book he has "Barbell Squats", "Partial Single-leg Squat", etc. So do I only do basic Squats for 8-10 weeks? or do I get to choose the type of squats I feel like doing each workout?

I'm sorry if that's a confusing question, but I'm just not sure.
  • Sk8rG
    Sk8rG Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    For the first stage it's just Squats. As you progress through the stages you will see the more difficult variations. The first stage is about doing the basic move and continually increasing the weight with which you can do it.

I also have the e-book and regret purchasing it that way - it is the WORST e-book I have ever purchased. No links for page references - plus the workout charts are pictures so you can't increase the size of your text for those and you can't just flip through the exercises. I have had moderate success with doing text searches when looking for something.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    got it out of the library...i like it! i feel like a BADA$$!

I just checked it out of the library as well and may buy it...I'm only a couple chapters in but so far what he writes makes sense to me...
  • winninga
    winninga Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mercury8826
    Options
    For the first stage it's just Squats. As you progress through the stages you will see the more difficult variations. The first stage is about doing the basic move and continually increasing the weight with which you can do it.

I also have the e-book and regret purchasing it that way - it is the WORST e-book I have ever purchased. No links for page references - plus the workout charts are pictures so you can't increase the size of your text for those and you can't just flip through the exercises. I have had moderate success with doing text searches when looking for something.

But how am I supposed to make normal squats more difficult as the weeks go on?