being skinny is more unhealthy than being fat?

Options

Replies

• airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would rather be skinny my whole life and love myself and die a BIT sooner than be fat and hate myself and live longer. Why would anyone want to live extra while they hate what they see in the mirror?
    Who said everyone overweight hates themselves and everyone underweight loves themselves?

Its Called an OPINION. I guess I should rephrase:
    Why would I want to live extra while I hate what I see in the mirror?

Better?

And yes it is physcological, just as people that think they don't need to lose weight when they do have phsycological issues. The only difference is the fat people are coddled, and the skinny people are victimized all because there are way more fatties than skinnies.

And I fall right in perfectly healthy BMI so this was just a pondering of mine, I don't ACTUALLY have phsycological issues with myself. I'm healthy and happy.

The thing is you don't get to determine who needs to lose weight, or who has psychological issues.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I think you're missing the point entirely -- there is are too much emphasis on healthy as it related to weight.

So, no quite frankly, I don't think it's worth talking about. What I can tell you for certain is this the standard by which we determine "overweight" is irrevocably jacked. I wouldn't find it shocking in the least that somebody 15 pounds overweight suffered no negative impact health-wise. If anything, that just tells you the standard by which we're measuring healthy weights needs adjusted to capture more accurate pictures of health and not higher insurance premiums. If that's what you want to talk about -- dandy, there is a discussion to be had -- but this thread seems to be about weight and health as it relates to the BMI. I don't find that discussion to be helpful at all.

I'm not missing the point. I understand the point of the study. I agree that one of the standards for health, weight, is misunderstood and unreliable as a sole indicator of health. What you are failing to understand is that the PURPOSE OF THE STUDY is to investigate whether our current standard for weight as an indicator of health (and weight IS an indicator of health, just not the only one) needs to be adjusted.

You don't want to believe it because you didn't read the study, but it's illustrating your exact feelings on weight.

Ugh. Nope, you're missing my point. What is going on in this forum is that people are talking about how they'd rather die sooner and be thin than live longer and be fat . That's why this thread needed to end with unhealthy is unhealthy.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

Ugh. Nope, you're missing my point. What is going on in this forum is that people are talking about how they'd rather die sooner and be thin than live longer and be fat . That's why this thread needed to end with unhealthy is unhealthy.

Oh this is fun, a game of "who is missing the point"

It's called intelligent debate/discussion. If it doesn't interest you, you can always go back to posting on Facebook.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Being unhealthy is unhealthy. Doesn't matter which side of the spectrum you fall on.

And that's pretty much it.

I've known plenty of "normal"-weight folks who were very unhealthy and I know a person or two who are obese but very healthy. While being obese can (and often does) correlate to health risks and issues it's not always the case.

And someone may have had bad health haibts to become obese but have since taken up good habits and are perfectly healthy.

I was once obese, now overweight. I eat better than most people I know and exercise regularly. My biometric #s are all great. I want to lose weight to look better and for the long term benefits (easier on my joints) but my doctor isn't even encouraging me to lose.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Oh this is fun, a game of "who is missing the point"

It's called intelligent debate/discussion. If it doesn't interest you, you can always go back to posting on Facebook.

Intelligent debates and discussion are respectful.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    healthy = adopting healthy habits, weight =/= health

Healthy Habits:
    1. Eating well (plenty of produce, not too much processed sugar)
    2. Staying active (moderate leves of activity, not super intense is required)
    3. Maintain a healthy blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose and triglyceride levels
    4. Maintain bone density and functional strength
    5. Maintain functional balance and flexibility

This may or may not cause you to lose weight and put you in the "healthy" weight range.

No matter what you weigh, if you follow steps 1-5, you'll likely live a long time, even if you remain overweight.

This is great advice. I'd love to see a swing to this sort of advice being given to obese people, rather than just "lose weight".
  • secretlobster
    Options

You posted "END THREAD" before anyone even responded. So, I'm calling BS on your "I said we should end the discussion because the thread wasn't intelligent or respectful" claim.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

You posted "END THREAD" before anyone even responded. So, I'm calling BS on your "I said we should end the discussion because the thread wasn't intelligent or respectful" claim.

I was directly responding to how the information was presented n the initial post because it will directly affect how people respond.

Believe it or not, you are not talking to and under-educated idiot.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    I was directly responding to how the information was presented n the initial post because it will directly affect how people respond.

No you weren't, all you typed was "THIS. END THREAD". When you type END THREAD I hoped you would have the good sense to leave it. If it doesn't interest you, go away.

I didn't call you an under-educated idiot. If you don't care to talk about the subject, then stop sh*tting up the thread.

This is why we can't have intelligent debate on these boards.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Someone has probably already made this point, but the underweight statistic likely includes anorexics who have the deadliest psychiatric disorder out there. It's six times more lethal than major depression. If the numbers were rebalanced to exclude serious mental disorders on both sides, then I'm betting being seriously overweight would be far worse than being underweight.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

When you type END THREAD I hoped you would have the good sense to leave it. If it doesn't interest you, go away.

... it's not that the study didn't interest me - obviously I read it and agree with it's findings. It's that it was presented in a way that was going to lead people into nonsense discussions. This discussion is a prime example.If you didn't want to see me post back in this thread so the real debate could happen, you probably shouldn't have engaged me, eh?
  • secretlobster
    Options
    ... it's not that the study didn't interest me - obviously I read it and agree with it's findings. It's that it was presented in a way that was going to lead people into nonsense discussions. This discussion is a prime example.If you didn't want to see me post back in this thread so the real debate could happen, you probably shouldn't have engaged me, eh?

"Tu quoque"

Some of us are able to see this study for the research, not for the way it was presented. If you agree with its findings and want to have an intelligent discussion about it, then why don't you?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

"Tu quoque"

Some of us are able to see this study for the research, not for the way it was presented. If you agree with its findings and want to have an intelligent discussion about it, then why don't you?

You can't have an intelligent discussions on these boards ever, let alone one with the topic: "Being skinny is more unhealthy than being fat?" which to me just sounds like an invite for trolls, people with seriously disordered eating and body dismorphia to justify their "opinions". The best possible consensus this group could possibly come to is unhealthy is unhealthy at any weight and am real glad to see so many people echoing it.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Hey guys let's go back to talking about the research behind this article

I kind of hope more people will accept that "a few extra pounds" isn't an unhealthy body type even if it doesn't appeal to them visually
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Interested in talking about what, exactly? Unhealthy is unhealthy - nobody should want to be unhealthy for any reason. There is not conversation to be had there. Instead you are going to get people who are terrified about being heavy trying to justify the unhealthy they measures they take to stay thin -- or people who are heavy who want to use this as a justification to lead to continue their lifestyle (that likely increases their chances at becoming unhealthy) at some point in the future. There is nothing legitimate to talk about -- just people justifying their unhealthy, warped perspectives.
    whatever it is they're interested in talking about, they've talked about it for 5 pages. so i'm guessing that's an indication of interest in the subject, whether everyone aproves of it or not.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    i can't help but wonder why someone would stay to argue that we shouldn't bother to talk about a topic.

surely the sane and reasoned response is to shrug, close thread and find one that interests you?
  • glovepuppet
    Options

I kind of hope more people will accept that "a few extra pounds" isn't an unhealthy body type even if it doesn't appeal to them visually
    this i would love to see. especially in the popular press. most especially in women's magazines.
  • xSinfulUndeadx
    Options
    I would rather be a few pounds overweight than too skinny. Yes I agree that being too overweight is unhealthy but so is being underweight. Alot of women think they have to be really skinny. But really being at a healthy average weight is best. I don't want to be "skinny". I want to be a nice average healthy weight. I love my curves and big butt and don't want to lose them. I am a size 14 and want to be a size 8.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    this i would love to see. especially in the popular press. most especially in women's magazines.

That would really be great... It seems as though the standard by which we judge a person's weight to be "healthy" or "unhealthy" has become extremely specific, but the human body is more adaptable than people want to believe. Bodies are meant to store some fat, flat abs are not the only model of health!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

'
    Magazines are the WORST. This lady on the treadmill next to me at the gym this AM was looking at one and they had post-baby pics of Jessica Simpson and it was talking about how big she was (this was probably more of a trash mag than a women's magazine, but still). Next thing you know, she'll lose a bunch of weight and the press will be calling her "dangerously thin"