PLANET FITNESS GYM and its" Judgment Zone"

Options

Replies

• BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options

4.They make unhealthy snack options so readily available
    -Everyday they have a huge bowl of tootsie rolls in the front desk for people to take
    -Today, for breakfast, they had donuts and bagels for us

But...I'm so confused. How is this supposed to work for weight loss? Does anyone here love Planet Fitness? Has it worked for you?

IMO, its so people can stay fat and keep coming. At least that is what my friend and I deduced when we went there on a Monday for the first time and they were serving pizza.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    FREE Donuts and bagels? I really want a donut right now.
    I'm guessing this is a "member retention" method...to keep you needing them! :laugh:
  • drgooch
    drgooch Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness and I love it. The staff is very helpful. It has upbeat music. The tv channels are good. And there are free weights. Each Planet Fitness is independently owned so maybe any questions or concerns you have should be directed to the owner and not Planet Fitness as a whole. As far as the food that is option only and you don't have to eat it! imoo....
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I go there and I don't really get the bagels and then the pizza every first monday of the month. Aside from that I do like it. It is clean and I don't wait for cardio and rarely for anything else. I go in and do my thing and leave. They do play better music at mine, but I still bring my own tunes. Hey for $10 a month, I think its a great deal. The tootsies have come in handy on one occasion when my blood sugar dropped :)
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is one of the worst gyms in the world. I've actually been acquainted with the founder and I'm pretty sure everything they have going on in the Planet Fitness culture is just to maximize profit. It's an ingenious business plan, honestly... Anyways...

I consider Planet Fitness to be the most judgmental place I could put myself in.

THOUGH, I do applaud the "lunk alarm" -- it's great, whenever I am about to do a lot of weight, the alarm goes off and it's like the whole gym is watching me while I put up the weight! So motivational!! No, honestly, the "Lunk Alarm" goes off every time I'm in the gym and it gets annoying, half the time I can't even tell if I'm the one setting it off.

I wrote a very long email to their customer support and I got a "cut/paste" reply... I responded with a cut/paste message as well and we eventually cut off the conversation.

I seriously have 100+ reasons why I hate Planet Fitness. There area a couple of facts that I cannot ignore... Locations (everywhere) and the cheap price.

I hate Planet Fitness.
  • Larimar0989
    Options
    I was actually considering getting a membership based on the price alone. I think it is up to me to have self control and not give into temptations, but I love the fact its open 24hrs. Im really undecided :(

YES! The price is very cheap, and its worth it because it is very nice in there. And there IS the advantage that it is 24/7! Try it out, it may work well for you. You can opt out of a contract so you can quit it whenever you can.
  • CommandaPanda
    Options
    FREE Donuts and bagels? I really want a donut right now.
    Don't forget the free pizza on the first Monday of each month!
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was a member for a while and went a total of twice. It wasn't motivating for me, at all. I ended up joining Gold's and have been more times than I can count. But I love classes which Planet didn't have, and Gold's does.

Don't get me wrong, the place was nice and clean and there were many machines. Just no classes and the fact that a lot of the people there seemed to be in it for the free bagels and pizza.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I was a member until earlier this week. My biggest problem was that I just plain hated GOING to the gym, and especially hate running on a treadmill, so I'm starting to build my own home gym now. A more minor problem, but the catalyst to quit now, was billing issues when my card on file expired.

The lack of scale was never an issue. I track my progress at home. And even here, the scale is a craptacular way of gauging my progress. Measurements, photos and how clothes fit works better for me.

Tootsie rolls are low fat and low calorie, as long as you don't eat a couple dozen of them. The pizza and bagels were never an issue for me, either, because they're both part of my regular food rotation. I have bagels for breakfast probably 75% of the time. I have pizza at least once a week. I rarely went to the gym on pizza night or bagel morning because it wasn't worth battling the crowds.

No one is forcing anyone to eat those things. There will always be temptation. I crave Auntie Anne's every time I walk into the mall and smell their buttery goodness. I don't always have one.

Mine played good music for the most part. Although I did hear Nelson's "Love and Affection" more than once. I didn't really mind, but it just seemed like an odd choice to have in their regular rotation after not hearing the song for 22 years. But overall, good music.
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My Planet Fitness has: a scale in the bathroom, great music, weights up to about 400 lbs, free pizza the first Monday of the month and free bagels the second Tueday of the month (but both are accompanied by lots of fruit), and it is a judgement free zone. I see everyone from hard core body builders, to the local high school athletes, to an elderly woman who does the machines with her purse in tow, to obese people steadily walking the treadmills and everywhere in between. I have felt comfortable enough to ask people questions (in betweeb their sets of course) and have never not had another member help me if I asked. 3 of the front desk peeps know me by name.

I love my gym! Don't judge all the franchises based on an experience at one franchise. Now, my gym may be different because we live in the suburbs (I perfer to think of it as a small town, but thats not really true anymore) and our gym is smack in the middle of several neighborhoods.
  • Larimar0989
    Options
    i wanted to join, but my hang up was they had no childcare..i could have gone when the kids were in school, but i like going with my husband, and we had nobody to watch the kids..maybe judgement free means they dont want YOU judging OTHER people, you could buy an ipod and listen to your own music, and as for breakfast, you can always get up a little earlier and eat something at home so you dont have to worry about donuts and bagels and tootsie rolls, bring a scale from home, or use it when you get back..good luck

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I do all of this on my own. I just dont like that they are promoting unhealthy eating habits.
  • tyrtill
    tyrtill Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well it is cheap compared to a lot of gyms in my area. I feel its their business plan to not produce results. If they don't encourage you and keep you fat then they're more likely to keep you coming back month after month. They prey on the people that aren't very self confident by making it "Judgement Free".

If you avoid the free food its not a bad place though for people going for fitness. Body builders on the other hand probably don't like it.
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is one of the worst gyms in the world. I've actually been acquainted with the founder and I'm pretty sure everything they have going on in the Planet Fitness culture is just to maximize profit. It's an ingenious business plan, honestly... Anyways...

I consider Planet Fitness to be the most judgmental place I could put myself in.

THOUGH, I do applaud the "lunk alarm" -- it's great, whenever I am about to do a lot of weight, the alarm goes off and it's like the whole gym is watching me while I put up the weight! So motivational!! No, honestly, the "Lunk Alarm" goes off every time I'm in the gym and it gets annoying, half the time I can't even tell if I'm the one setting it off.

I wrote a very long email to their customer support and I got a "cut/paste" reply... I responded with a cut/paste message as well and we eventually cut off the conversation.

I seriously have 100+ reasons why I hate Planet Fitness. There area a couple of facts that I cannot ignore... Locations (everywhere) and the cheap price.

I hate Planet Fitness.

I have never heard the lunk alarm go off and we have been members for a year and I go 5 times a week. hmmm.
  • weightlosshippie
    weightlosshippie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just like weight loss programs, they want you to keep coming back.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've never encountered free food at my PF.
    There's music, thankfully it's quiet enough that my iPod drowns it out.
    There are 6 TV stations to choose from in the cardio area.
    There's a f*ckton of free weights (alas, only one squat rack...).

I guess it depends on what location you go to.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    WOW what kind of planet fitness do you guys go to?! the one near my house is hardcore and i love it. i annihilate that thing everyday and they never serve food there.

plus, youre not supposed to weigh yourself on multiple scales? stick with the one you have at home. who cares that the gym doesnt have a scale?!

stop hatin!!!!!!!
  • drgooch
    drgooch Posts: 68 Member
    Options

4.They make unhealthy snack options so readily available
    -Everyday they have a huge bowl of tootsie rolls in the front desk for people to take
    -Today, for breakfast, they had donuts and bagels for us

But...I'm so confused. How is this supposed to work for weight loss? Does anyone here love Planet Fitness? Has it worked for you?

IMO, its so people can stay fat and keep coming. At least that is what my friend and I deduced when we went there on a Monday for the first time and they were serving pizza.

They don't force you to eat the pizza. It is there if you want it. I completely forgot the pizza was there during my workout and didn't even think about getting a slice. Is the gym the ONLY place you get a temptation. Besides it is once a month not everyday. And some people reward themselves that way.
  • CommandaPanda
    Options

I hate Planet Fitness.

I have never heard the lunk alarm go off and we have been members for a year and I go 5 times a week. hmmm.
    Yeah it used to never go off, then one day a bunch of guys in suits toured the gym and now it goes off almost every time I'm in there.

The BEST Planet Fitness I've ever been to is in South Yarmouth, MA... It's like a real gym disguised as a Planet Fitness. You can be as obnoxious as you want and they don't care. They also have normal weights.
  • bsalvato
    bsalvato Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I actually really like it... now if I could just go more often. The one I go to is literally right behind my house and I can walk there. I like that they have a separate area that has a 30 min circuit. I also like the perks of the black card. I could care less if there's a scale. I have one at home, what the hell do I need one in the gym for?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I hate Planet Fitness.

I set it off and I definitely don't drop my weights. I also got yelled at doing deadlifts, squats and lunges. Basically anything that is helpful for building muscle and weight loss. I'm sure not all of them are like this, but the few I went to were.