PLANET FITNESS GYM and its" Judgment Zone"

Options

Replies

• LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My Planet Fitness plays all kinds of music. Yesterday, they were playing AC/DC and Metallica. And as far as the free food they offer once a month, I think it's a nice gesture. It seems like a lot of people posting have a problem with that, but they're not shoving the food down your throats. Just walk past it. It's simple.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My PF has a ROW of TVs, different channel on each one. I do happen to go on Pizza Monday just like the other days of the week and month. I grab a slice on my way home. I put in extra time so I'm not going over my budget calorie wise so no-harm no-foul. My issue with pizza monday is that people come out of the woodwork to go. I'm going to be charitable and say they changed their workout time to between 4 and 8 for the pizza but go anyway.

I have probably eaten 15 tootsie rolls from the gym since january. I have very occasionally grabbed one on the way out. No diet breaking there.

It's 10 bucks a month, and I only trust my scale at home because that's where my baseline was established.

I do miss the steam room at the gym where I used to live but I don't miss 38 dollars a month and a 150 dollar sign-up fee. I dig the hours 24x7
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I go there.
    They play a great mix of music at my PF

Its 20 a month for unlimited access to gym and tanning beds

I have a scale at home

I love tootsie rolls

you dont have to partake in free bagels, pizza or donuts

Everyone there is nice to me.

I think they have a good variety of equipment, at least at mine, lots of cardio machines and lots of weight equipment.

all considered, I dig it.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    A former friend of mine had a membership with them and she was allowed to bring a friend with her, so I went.

It was too loud (every tv and the radio were on as loud as you could possibly turn them up - I'm partially deaf and they were loud to me. I can't imagine how loud they were to someone with normal hearing). There were SO many people there, you had to wait forever for machines. The tootsie rolls, pizza and pop nights, bagels, donuts, etc. Um. Okay. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a dose of junk food but I don't want it at the gym, thanks.

For being a "judgement free zone", I've seen quite a bit of judging going on. Oh and the whole "lunk alarm"? How dumb.

When I started out, I was nervous as I'd never stepped foot in a gym. I started at Snap Fitness and LOVED it. Eventually, I outgrew their limited machines/weights/etc and moved to Powerhouse Gym - which is awesome. Neither one of those gyms have "meat heads" or "cardio goddesses".. I saw all different people at all different fitness levels at both gyms.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Its a gym for ppl who dont want to put in.the work
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I think it's nice that people have a choice of gyms. That's great.
    Yup
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I was going to consider it as the gym i currently go to is so expensive. I was very disappointed with their facility... Only smith machines? Really? I can understand wanting to save yourself from liability... But it's just ridiculous!
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Its a gym for ppl who dont want to put in.the work

I SMASH things all over that gym.

also, my PF has a scale, great music, and plenty of great people there. I will create bada$$ wherever i decide to lift.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I've never been a member of Planet Fitness, but I do remember when I had a membership to Workout Anytime. Every few months or so, they would have a pizza party for the members where they would have Papa Johns delivered. I'm not talking about whole wheat crust with tons of veggies, either.
  • Jules2Be
    Options
    I was going to consider it as the gym i currently go to is so expensive. I was very disappointed with their facility... Only smith machines? Really? I can understand wanting to save yourself from liability... But it's just ridiculous!

hmm. clearly they are all very different...mine has plenty of equipment...except they need more squat racks.(too many boys doing curls in them HA!)
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I'm applying for a job there, so I hope that it isnt quite like that at every planet fitness. I understand being welcoming to everyone... but it is still about being your best and bringing it - no matter what stage you are at, yes?
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I've never been to one but the whole "No judgment zone" thing seems silly. Sounds like I can walk in there and still judge if I want to, who's to stop me?
  • Jules2Be
    Options
    I've never been to one but the whole "No judgment zone" thing seems silly. Sounds like I can walk in there and still judge if I want to, who's to stop me?

I judge who i would like to bite or not bite.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Yea, the Planet Fitness I go to plays upbeat music.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    The free doughnuts and pizza thing always gets me but, I can say the PF I go to is clean, has tons of equipment, nice people and I can walk to it from my home. From what I hear that is the exception.

I can say that the lunk alarm is a farce...don't ask.
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have been a member for a few months now. I do agree that it's kinda wrong that they serve pizza and bagels but i feel stronger when I leave without eating any of that junk! Its a great gym for the price
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about it. For $10/month and no commitment it's certainly tempting for me. I don't care for their policies, but I'm training for a marathon and I need access to a treadmill for thunderstorms and speedwork and I've outgrown my weights at home. Was thinking about joining and supplementing with yoga, pilates and swim classes/open pool swims but I think it might be better to join LA Fitness for $30-$40 a month.
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My Planet Fitness has: a scale in the bathroom, great music, weights up to about 400 lbs, free pizza the first Monday of the month and free bagels the second Tueday of the month (but both are accompanied by lots of fruit), and it is a judgement free zone. I see everyone from hard core body builders, to the local high school athletes, to an elderly woman who does the machines with her purse in tow, to obese people steadily walking the treadmills and everywhere in between. I have felt comfortable enough to ask people questions (in betweeb their sets of course) and have never not had another member help me if I asked. 3 of the front desk peeps know me by name.

I love my gym! Don't judge all the franchises based on an experience at one franchise. Now, my gym may be different because we live in the suburbs (I perfer to think of it as a small town, but thats not really true anymore) and our gym is smack in the middle of several neighborhoods.

The Planet Fitness you have described seems the be one of the ONLY ones like its kind...just read most of these posts. I asked the associates about the weights and scales and they said every PF has this policy because of its motto...so no, I'm not judging. Its an observation.

Unless she goes to mine, there is at least one other out here. She's more or less just described my gym, too.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I know it's working for some folks here, but PF is a terrible, terrible place to work out. It's cool that it's dirt cheap and there's no contracts, but you'd be better off saving the $10 odd bucks and walking and doing pushups in a park by your house. By not having real weights, keeping the dumbbells low, and not even having a scale(?!?!?!) they are putting a cap on progress.

And their "Lunk Alarm" tactics prove that they actually are a Judgement Zone. It's just a Planet of the Apes type reversal where the judgement flows in the opposite direction than you'd expect.

THANK YOU!! i'm so glad i'm not the only one who sees the judgement in the "lunk alarm". i toured one and any time someone was getting in a good lift, that thing went off!

i am one broke, broke ginger, but i pay more to go to the Y where i can lift like a BOSS.