Any foods that you think have gotten a bad rap??

Options

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Yes, saturated fats (animal fats).
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Most of my daily intake gets a horrible rap. Sometimes I wonder if people turn into instant cardiologists when they see someone eating bacon....ANYWAY, here's what I think gets a bad rap that shouldn't:

1. EGG YOLKS (this was already posted)
    2. Butter
    3. Red meat
    4. Whole milk
    5. Whole yogurt
    6. Beef tallow OR lard (for use namely as a cooking medium...EVOO and most liquid oils go rancid at higher heat. Animal fats, butter, ghee are really the ways to go for more stable cooking grease.)
    7. Bacon
    8. Beets (why must everyone hate beets!?)
    9. Lamb (I know it's a cute and fuzzy animal..sorry Clareeeece)
    10.Coffee / Tea / Caffeine in general

Hi I'm Melissa, and I've lost weight eating LARD. Yep, lard. I approve this message.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    My eating plan looks similar to yours. I am always being told I am a walking heart attack, yet my cholesterol and trigs are better than they have been in years. I am also reversing my diabetes.

Most of my daily intake gets a horrible rap. Sometimes I wonder if people turn into instant cardiologists when they see someone eating bacon....ANYWAY, here's what I think gets a bad rap that shouldn't:

2. Butter
    3. Red meat
    4. Whole milk
    5. Whole yogurt
    6. Beef tallow OR lard (for use namely as a cooking medium...EVOO and most liquid oils go rancid at higher heat. Animal fats, butter, ghee are really the ways to go for more stable cooking grease.)
    7. Bacon

Hi I'm Melissa, and I've lost weight eating LARD. Yep, lard. I approve this message.
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Haha, yep, isn't it funny how everyone becomes your cardiologist when you eat something with fat in it? "OH...don't eat that. It's going to clog your arteries!" Usually the advice comes from:

A) Someone in much worse shape than I
    B) Someone who has many more health problems than I
    C) Someone who does very little research and believes most everything marketing and doctors tell them.

Unfortunately in most discussions, their ideas (i.e. low fat, standard "healthy" advice) typically wins the favor of others around them. BUT, I must say, I have been seeing a lot more promising research and articles regarding the benefits of fat and lower carbohydrate diets.
    My eating plan looks similar to yours. I am always being told I am a walking heart attack, yet my cholesterol and trigs are better than they have been in years. I am also reversing my diabetes.

2. Butter
    3. Red meat
    4. Whole milk
    5. Whole yogurt
    7. Bacon

• madmama
    madmama Posts: 123 Member
    Options

2. Butter
    3. Red meat
    4. Whole milk
    5. Whole yogurt
    7. Bacon

I am in agreement with you. The only doctor I listen to in mine and she tells me I have cholesterol levels most people would kill for, so I continue eating the things I like in MODERATION it works for me.
    :heart:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is another one. I use that and EVOO. It's very good for you. :-)
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Yes, I believe so too. Natural, low carb, higher fat is the way to go for good health. A lot of doctors are starting to "get it".

I have actually converted my family practice doctor over to thinking this way and revisiting the standard low calorie / low fat eating plan.

It is amazing to be able to eat upwards of 2000 - 2400 calories per day and lose weight effortlessly, be full and satisfied. :drinker: :drinker:
    Haha, yep, isn't it funny how everyone becomes your cardiologist when you eat something with fat in it? "OH...don't eat that. It's going to clog your arteries!" Usually the advice comes from:

A) Someone in much worse shape than I
    B) Someone who has many more health problems than I
    C) Someone who does very little research and believes most everything marketing and doctors tell them.

Unfortunately in most discussions, their ideas (i.e. low fat, standard "healthy" advice) typically wins the favor of others around them. BUT, I must say, I have been seeing a lot more promising research and articles regarding the benefits of fat and lower carbohydrate diets.

2. Butter
    3. Red meat
    4. Whole milk
    5. Whole yogurt
    7. Bacon

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

What do you do with coconut oil?
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    I cook with coconut oil! It does add a coconut taste so I don't use it for everything. But I use it to make Pineapple chicken and veggies, beef and green pepper - and many other things. It's very good.

I also use it for dry skin. It smells wonderful.
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I absolutely :love: this topic, so I'll save it in My topics :wink: . Go natural! :drinker:
    (Brenda, you seem to read my mind with your topics :happy: : I was going to ask Melissa today about the butter - whether it's good fat or not. The answer is right here - thank you all :flowerforyou: )
  • July24Lioness
    Options

What do you do with coconut oil?

Coconut oil is good for EVERYTHING!!!

I use it for cooking (in place of butter, for frying, sauting, broiling), baking (in place of butter), put in my coffee in the morning to help satiate my appetite.

I use it to cleanse my face, moisturize both my face and body. Put it on my hair for 15 minutes to a half hour and then jump in shower for conditioning purposes.

It is not greasy at all.

Coconut oil also has antibiotic and antifungal properties. I was recently able to cure a urinary tract infections with whole cranberries that I made fresh juice out of and taking coconut oil (eating it straight off the spoon 3 times a day) and drinking only water............
  • Daniel78
    Options
    Egg whites contain a lot of protein without any of the cholesterol and fat that the yolk provides. I seperate mine and give the yolks to my growing puppies. They love it mixed into their kibble. I only cook with eggs one day a week, sometimes two if the wife and I are making something baked.

Cheese is god's gift to all of mankind. The Kraft Fat Free Shredded Cheddar and 2% Sharp Cheddar blocks are well stocked in my fridge at all times. White Havarti works wonders on sandwiches as well. When it comes to cheese and eggs, white is better. Both the egg white and white cheese (most, not all) contain less fat, cholesterol, and calories per serving than yellow cheese and the yellow yolks!
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    Fat is not the enemy. We need it to live. Granted shaving some fat off to save calories is good - to be picky about the fat you eat.

Case in point: EGG YOKES. Eat them. They are good for you - as in VERY good for you.

Check this out:

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

Believe it. The yellow is good.
  • Daniel78
    Options
    Fat is not the enemy. We need it to live. Granted shaving some fat off to save calories is good - to be picky about the fat you eat.

Case in point: EGG YOKES. Eat them. They are good for you - as in VERY good for you.

Check this out:

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

Believe it. The yellow is good.

I wasn't trying to imply that fat is bad. It's the type of fat that is the killer. Egg yolks contain a lot of cholesterol for what little bit of actual nutritional value they provide. I'd rather skim this form of fat from my diet and replace it elsewhere when applicable.

On average I consume 50-70 grams of fat per day from healthy sources such as nuts, fish oils, olives, and olive oil for cooking. I pick and chose my fats wisely. They're all low in cholesterol, low in trans fat, sat fat, and enriched with omega 3s and 6s.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Count me in as another whole egg lover! I have one egg with toast and butter on my toast every morning for breakfast. The protein really holds me over so I'm not hungry again in an hour.
    In fact one time I switched to eating oatmeal everyday for breakfast and that is when my cholesterol went up. I like oatmeal and still eat it sometimes but eggs rule!
    I'm also a pasta lover. But I now eat the correct portion. Not the two huge bowls I use to eat.

Now, I have to ask, are you all eating that parmesan out of the can or are you buying a good quality parm and grating it. I will only buy/eat Parmesan Regianno, it's imported and yes more expensive but the taste so much better. A little grating of that has much more flavor that the already grated stuff. Or put a few curls (use a potato peeler) onto your salad. It is the best!
  • Wecandothis
    Options

I wasn't trying to imply that fat is bad. It's the type of fat that is the killer. Egg yolks contain a lot of cholesterol for what little bit of actual nutritional value they provide. I'd rather skim this form of fat from my diet and replace it elsewhere when applicable.

On average I consume 50-70 grams of fat per day from healthy sources such as nuts, fish oils, olives, and olive oil for cooking. I pick and chose my fats wisely. They're all low in cholesterol, low in trans fat, sat fat, and enriched with omega 3s and 6s.

Cholesterol is not the badguy you think it is, but okay. :smile: You might want to read that article I mentioned, and read some of the new research on it. And quite actually the egg yoke provides a huge amount of nutrients. The article is good. Honest. :smile:
  • jodazary
    jodazary Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i personally wont cut out any food that i love such as eggs, bready butter or my favorite egg rolls but i do limit them and so far have dropped 22 poulnds everything in moderation if you completly cut out something that you love you will at some point brreak and pig out on it not good lol if you love it eat some even if its just a bite or two
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    Im glad someone else said bacon. The hormel maple bacon I love love looovvve is only 80 calories for 2 slices.

I ate eggs, toast, bacon, fruit, and taquitos yesterday and stayed under my calories lol
  • Linsmom
    Options
    sugar...natural sugar, not the refined kinds...has gotten a bad rep.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    See for me, the potato (white) has gotten a horrible and undeserved wrap. 1 medium potato has lots of good vitamins (many more than I can list) and minerals in it, and while yes, it's high in carbs (about 30 g for a medium potato) it's also high in fiber, AND has a portion of non-digestable starch (some of the carbs) which acts pretty much the same as fiber, and those carbs are complex, so you see (if you eat the skin) potatoes are very good for you.

Just don't pile on the rough stuff and you should be fine. I like mine baked with 1/2 serving of butter, 1/2 serving of sour cream, onion salt, garlic powder, and chives. Yum! Comes out to about 225 calories, a nice side for dinner!