Vanity Sizing - Who are the worst offenders?

Options
Skinny_Jeans_Soon
Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
I went shopping for the first time after losing 82 pounds and have noticed that some stores have "vanity sizing". In your opinion which stores are the worst offenders and which ones are true to size?

Replies

• GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Maybe a silly question - but what is vanity sizing, exactly?
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats and you are smokin sis!

What is vanity sizing?
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I think America wins, as in the UK I am a size 10, but in the US I am a 6............
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Pink by Victoria Secret.
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    Vanity Sizing is when a store has their clothing sizing 1-2 sizes smaller than you would normally wear. I.E. you have worn a size 10 for years, then you go to a store and BAM you are a 6 or 8. Lucky girl. Nope, vanity sizing. Makes you feel better so you will buy more.

I feel like all stores do this now.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Chicos--no one wears more than a 3
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there are no 'worst' offenders - they're all bad.

The only place you can find honest sizing is in patterns. Those measurements haven't changed over the years to accommodate the vanity sizing fad. I have relatives working in fabric stores who share stories with me about thin women who come in looking for patterns and then get all offended when they are told that based their measurements that they're a size 12, not a size 0. It's hilarious really.

That's why I try and make more of my own clothes. I can choose the color instead of being at the mercy of whatever the trend du jour is. I can have something that fits me properly, everywhere, instead of compromising and having to alter things later. I can find styles that I like, that are timeless and classic, which work together instead of having a closet full of nothing to wear.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    CAbi. I wear 12's in other slacks, 8's in hers. Victoria's Secret is just inconsistent.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Options
    I wonder about Targets clothes, not Jrs but there ladies clothing. Does anyone think they run big or small?
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Pink by Victoria Secret.

LOL I agree with the VS Pink collection, thy put me at a 32DD LOL!

Vanity sizing is when sizes a labeled smaller/ or in the case of bras larger than they really are, so for example they may make an XL a L, so you feel better about buying in, or in the case of VS, go up a cupsize in the bras so you think your boobs are bigger than they are.

It's total BS, and is irritating...I have the opposite problem of suddenly all the smalls and X smalls being too big cause they are vanity sized for bigger ladies, and suddenly I have to shop in the kids section.

Sweden is pretty good at not vanity sizing though,
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Old Navy!!

Back in my fat days, plus size stores were the worst!! Especially when they changed sizes from 16, 18's and 20's to 1, 2 and 3's.

Want to feel super big? Try a couture outfit! Oh lord.. they run super small!
  • purpledelight
    purpledelight Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I wonder about Targets clothes, not Jrs but there ladies clothing. Does anyone think they run big or small?
    Target Boutique runs big!!
    I have lost almost 40 lbs but I am not a 6 :) unless they tell me I am! HA!
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    Old Navy ~ I'm a 2-4 (Thanks but not true)

I love my Joe's Jeans, True Religion and 7 for all mankind for keepin it real!!
  • Lulubear511
    Options
    I think EXPRESS runs big.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew what brand this was... but I am typically anywhere from a size 12-16 depending on brand right now... I went to Stein Mart (if anyone knows what that is) and bought this cute eyelet skirt.... I bought it in a medium.... this girl hasn't worn a medium in nearly 10 years...
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    This is true for men's clothing also. I am right on the border between "normal" sizes and big and tall sizes. Some normal size fit and are even big while others do not even come close. It is terribly frustrating.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I went to Plato's Closet for jeans, and tried on a bunch of size 8's from different brands. Gap's size 8 was the biggest.
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    I find Gap and Banana Republic to be the worst. Most everywhere I am a 4, but at those two places I am a 0/2.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Options
    Old Navy ~ I'm a 2-4 (Thanks but not true)

I love my Joe's Jeans, True Religion and 7 for all mankind for keepin it real!!

On the same note, I am curious if Miss Me jeans run big or true to size.
  • blinkinglight
    Options
    I fit into some 4's at American Eagle, I'm pretty sure I couldn't squeeze myself into a 4 anywhere else.