Vanity Sizing - Who are the worst offenders?

Options

Replies

• jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    They all are.. I really wish I could buy a pair of jeans without trying them on( not that i would , i just want to be able to ).. Men's sizes are much less complicated I still don't know why woman's sizes haven't caught on.
  • hawaii86442
    hawaii86442 Posts: 167
    Options
    Target sizes are quite inconsistent!!! I do not even attempt a juniors size.I wear a 12 in their clothes and I am 5'6.5 and weigh 149.
    I dont think I am that size. --and their tops are ridiculous. I do not wear an XXL with a 39 inch bust.
    :flowerforyou:
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'd say American Eagle as well... I'm a 2 there and a 4 or 6 everywhere else. And as for Victoria's Secret. I'm a 34D everywhere else, but there the 34D gives me the quad boob and spillage everywhere. And the ones in my area don't have DD's. Sad. :-/
  • hilly215
    hilly215 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    However, you would think that bridal gowns would be subject to vanity sizing....but they're not. If you go to buy a bridal gown, you'll most likely be buying a gown 2 sizes larger than what you normally would wear! Wouldn't you think you'd want to feel skinnier in that dress???
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I have yet to find any place that doesn't seem to be vanity sizing. I'm a size 2 in pretty much every brand I buy.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, the more you're willing to pay for clothes, the smaller your dress size will be.

Target, Gap, Old Navy, Walmart... I am SWIMMING in my normal size. Designer brands run MUCH smaller.
  • AnnMarie518
    Options
    On the flipside - I worked at American Apparel for a while and they do the exact opposite!

I am a 6top 8bottom but I was always the BIGGEST size in the store. We put on little fashion shows now and again and they had the gall to tell me I had to lose 15 pounds if I really wanted to maintain an appealing image for the company. Psh

Thats just flippen rude!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    this thread is really depressing. i thought i was doing so well fitting into a size 8 shorts at old navy. sigh
  • AnnMarie518
    Options
    A little off the topic, but The Avenue is a wonderful store as far as styles go, they have beautiful clothing.
    They claim to be for plus sized women but they say 'plus' sized women, starting at size 14.
    I honestly dont consider size 14 a 'plus' size. Yes, they do go up in size to 22 or 28 (something like that) but I dont know why they consider 14 plus.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Target, Gap, Old Navy, Walmart... I am SWIMMING in my normal size. Designer brands run MUCH smaller.

I agree, with Old Navy being one of the worst. If they are correct, then I feel pretty darn good lol. On the other hand, I looked at the new Jennifer Lopez collection at Kohls, and I would be swimming in her size 2...grrrrr
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Express
    J Crew
    Old Navy

I wear a size 0 in J Crew, and they're still baggy.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Old Navy But I'm not complaining. lol
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am a size zero at Maurice's....LOL

Ditto this. Maurice's runs really large. Their xs drowns me.
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    American Eagle, my size 4 shorts from there are so loose I have to belt them but I'm a 6 everywhere else.
  • Cinnamon711
    Options
    I LOVE Miss Me jeans, however, I find they run a little small.
  • Missrachelf
    Options
    small!! I wear 4-6 and have to get L in exercise tops
    and my boobs are not big lol
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Next for sure. I'm a UK 10 and yet even the Next 8's hang of me and I fit into there 6's... I am far from a 6, trust me!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I dislike vanity sizing because it means an extra small can be too big on me and then what do I do. Now, I am a size 2 to fit my butt, but still have to take it to a tailor to have the waist made smaller. The other day I walked into a store and they told me I was a size zero. I was like, "No, this can't be happening. They can't vanity size any lower than that." I've walked into other stores and had the sales people walk up to me and say that nothing in there would fit me because the smallest size they sell is a 6 (but I went in there because of a big sign saying they sold petite sizes). I can't find a bathing suit that fits. I appreciate places that still sell junior sizes, even though it means dealing with pink hearts. Btw, I am petite, that's why my sizing is small. And I always need to get pants hemmed, unless they are capris or petite. Shirts are always toooo long on me. It seems like shirts are just getting longer and longer these days.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Old Navy!!

Back in my fat days, plus size stores were the worst!! Especially when they changed sizes from 16, 18's and 20's to 1, 2 and 3's.

Want to feel super big? Try a couture outfit! Oh lord.. they run super small!

I hate how some stores switched to the 1-2-3 plus size sizing it certainly didn't make me feel any better about my self, it was just more annoying..
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I think like everything else. Things change. Clothing companies have changed sizes. BUT the more I think about it, the old sizes were very standard to a specific shape. I just looked up pattern sizes and all of my measurement are in 3-4 different categories. I wouldn't be able to wear clothes if it wasn't for clothing companies looking for ways to make things fit various size women. Thank goodness for that. I still find it a struggle to find clothes that fit my butt and my waist. lol