I Feel the Need for a Rant

Options
pg3ibew
pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
Howdy folks,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:
6. No Intentionally Hurtful Topics

Topics which are started with the intent to belittle others, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited. This includes stalking a poster through the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, or spreading gossip or rumors. At our discretion, any post referring to the behavior or posts of other users of the site will be removed.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
Joshua
MyFitnessPal Forum Staff

Replies

• aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I agree with you.

As for the McDs conversation- while you might not agree with McDs, for a teenage girl, it is very important to live a 'normal' life. I think her asking what her BEST choices at McDs are was a great idea.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    *applause*
  • pg3ibew
    Options

As for the McDs conversation- while you might not agree with McDs, for a teenage girl, it is very important to live a 'normal' life. I think her asking what her BEST choices at McDs are was a great idea.

You are missing the point. She said she HAD to eat McDonalds. WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY does she HAVE to eat McDonalds?
    That is like saying I HAVE to smoke. Which Brand should I smoke?
  • aimeeinohio
    Options
    Because she's a teenage girl, going with friends. Totally understandable.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    All you can do is give your opinion and honest advice. Its up to everyone else if they want to trust it or not. Dont let it bug you, atleast you know whats best for you!
  • jgunn81
    jgunn81 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Read it, don't read it. I don't care.
    Agree, disagree. But I have seen some pretty absurd stuff written on these pages in the last few days.

Here are a few examples.
    1. Someone was asking for advice about a weight loss drug called Phentermine(Or whatever the hell it is called), looking for an easy way out. Alot of people, including myself were dicouraging the poster. Trying to tell her to work hard and eat right. This is a weight loss site to teach people how to eat properly, last time I checked anyway.

2. Another poster said she was stuck home all day with her child all day because her husband went to work all day. She was asking about some sort of Lean Cuisine meals she could buy at the store. Here is an idea, Go to the store and buy real food that you can cook.

3. Another poster, self admitted, morbidly obese, was upset and asking for ways to keep her calories under 1200. Instead of people trying to explain to her that she is probably not using the site properly and probably SHOULD be eating more than 1200, they are trying to help her get under 1200.

4. One poster said that #3 should eat apples, canteloupe and other NEGATIVE calorie foods. They are NEGATIVE calories because it takes more calories to digest the food then they actually contain. WTF is wrong with people? So, under that theory, I can eat 47 pounds of canteloupe everyday and lose weight?????????? :headscratching:

5. I just read a thread where someone said that they HAD to have Mcdonalds for dinner tonight. WHY? Is Mcdonalds the only restaurant open this evening? Are all the grocery stores closed? What could you possibly be doing that Mcdonalds is the ONLY meal you could have.

When I spoke up in these threads, I was told I was not being SUPPORTIVE. I am not being SUPPORTIVE? Encouraging morbidly obese people to eat less than 1200 calories? WTF is that? Certainly not support.
    Encouraging some to take a magic weight loss pill? ENCOURAGEMNT?
    NEGATIVE calorie foods? Come on people.

Please people. STOP making EXCUSES for not eating right. STOP making EXCUSES for not exercising.
    I lost 67 pounds using this site. I plan on working hard to try to keep it off. No, I am not perfect. Yes, I have made PLENTY of mistakes.
    If you read the success stories, MOST people have done it with HARD WORK and DEDICATION to a LIFESTYLE CHANGE, not a quick fix.
    I am convinced that people with a computer, including myself, are dangerous. Just because you see it in a blog, does NOT mean it is Gospel.
    I am sure there are more outrageous threads that I have missed.

+9000

*standing ovation* :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    5. I just read a thread where someone said that they HAD to have Mcdonalds for dinner tonight. WHY? Is Mcdonalds the only restaurant open this evening? Are all the grocery stores closed? What could you possibly be doing that Mcdonalds is the ONLY meal you could have.

In that case the poster's profile said she was under age to be on MFP and only 15. I assumed she "had" to eat there because her family was going (though she didn't say that).
  • pg3ibew
    Options

Totally NOT understandable. I have 3 teenaged sons, with minds of their own. As a matter of fact two of them work at Mcdonalds. One of them has worked there over a year and NEVER eaten the food once. He WORKS there 5 days a week and is refuses to eat there.
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    *applause*

This!
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    All you can do is give your opinion and honest advice. Its up to everyone else if they want to trust it or not. Dont let it bug you, atleast you know whats best for you!

Sad part is, I give advice and then people say I am not being SUPPORTIVE.
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Here, Here. I agree for the most part.

I have seen some amazingly negative posts. What's up with that? You CAN make suggestions without dragging someone down. No one is perfect. Lets do it right.

As to the morbidly obese person trying to get under 1200 calories -- Do you really think that she'll stay with the program by starving herself? Be sensible please
  • aimeeinohio
    Options

Totally NOT understandable. I have 3 teenaged sons, with minds of their own. As a matter of fact two of them work at Mcdonalds. One of them has worked there over a year and NEVER eaten the food once. He WORKS there 5 days a week and is able not to eat there.

Well good for them.

Frankly, you sound like a jerk and really judgmental. I am glad that this girl, who for whatever reason felt she had to eat there, was at least trying to find decent options.

Unclench a little, dude.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Oh, this is soooo sad. Teenagers can't be "normal" without McD?? And we wonder why there is an obesity crisis. :sick:
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I have a teenage daughter and her friends go to McDonald's all the time...... she does to, but she does not eat that crap! she will buy a bottle water and eat at home! this is NO excuse for crap!
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    Here, Here. I agree for the most part.

I have seen some amazingly negative posts. What's up with that? You CAN make suggestions without dragging someone down. No one is perfect. Lets do it right.

As to the morbidly obese person trying to get under 1200 calories -- Do you really think that she'll stay with the program by starving herself? Be sensible please

Exactly my point. People should be trying to encourage her to do it PROPERLY.

Time for dinner and the gym. I will be back later kids.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options

Having been a teenage girl a year ago...I understand too. It is uncomfortable trying to explain why you can't have McD's.. and it is embarrassing. So instead of doing that, she is making the best decision she can.
  • pg3ibew
    Options

Totally NOT understandable. I have 3 teenaged sons, with minds of their own. As a matter of fact two of them work at Mcdonalds. One of them has worked there over a year and NEVER eaten the food once. He WORKS there 5 days a week and is able not to eat there.

Well good for them.

Frankly, you sound like a jerk and really judgmental. I am glad that this girl, who for whatever reason felt she had to eat there, was at least trying to find decent options.

Unclench a little, dude.

Judgemental, Maybe. Honest, yes, TO A FAULT.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Dude, don't let it bug you so much. You do your thing, let them do their thing and everyone will be happy. Keep on keepin' on............
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Saw the McDonalds one. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, which I rarely give because people get nuts when it conflicts with theirs. I agree with you for the most part... just my opinion :wink:
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I rather enjoyed this.

Prob mostly cause I was not targeted in the list of complaints (even indirectly so).
This discussion has been closed.