TRUTH ABOUT EGGS

Options
ShawnDMuth
ShawnDMuth Posts: 270 Member
Whole eggs or egg whites are great... What I do because I need the saturated fat, I use 2 regular eggs and the rest are egg whites.

for example...
Eggs are great for the eyes. According to one study, an egg a day may prevent macular degeneraton due to the carotenoid content, specifically lutein and zeaxanthin. Both nutrients are more readily available to our bodies from eggs than from other sources.

2. In another study, researchers found that people who eat eggs every day lower their risk of developing cataracts, also because of the lutein and zeaxanthin in eggs.

3. One egg contains 6 grams of high-quality protein and all 9 essential amino acids.

4. According to a study by the Harvard School of Public Health, there is no significant link between egg consumption and heart disease. In fact, according to one study, regular consumption of eggs may help prevent blood clots, stroke, and heart attacks.

5. They are a good source of choline. One egg yolk has about 300 micrograms of choline. Choline is an important nutrient that helps regulate the brain, nervous system, and cardiovascular system.

6. They contain the right kind of fat. One egg contains just 5 grams of fat and only 1.5 grams of that is saturated fat.

7. New research shows that, contrary to previous belief, moderate consumption of eggs does not have a negative impact on cholesterol. In fact, recent studies have shown that regular consumption of two eggs per day does not affect a person's lipid profile and may, in fact, improve it. Research suggests that it is saturated fat that raises cholesterol rather than dietary cholesterol.

8. Eggs are one of the only foods that contain naturally occurring vitamin D.

9. Eggs may prevent breast cancer. In one study, women who consumed at least 6 eggs per week lowered their risk of breast cancer by 44%.

10. Eggs promote healthy hair and nails because of their high sulphur content and wide array of vitamins and minerals. Many people find their hair growing faster after adding eggs to their diet, especially if they were previously deficient in foods containing sulphur or B12.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    That's refreshing - a post not demonizing a food or food group!! :drinker:
  • nbsambucca
    nbsambucca Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I usually use half eggs, and half whites. so my 4 egg omelet is 2 of each. all whites is not very tasty, no matter what I add into it. Thanks! Now I know its o.k.!!
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I used to limit myself to one a week. Now I eat hard boiled almost daily. Eggland's best :)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I love eggs, I usually have three per day for breakfast.
  • nuclearbanana
    Options
    ... Have people been attacking egg's nutritional value or something? :x I always try to eat at least two a day, they're absolutely marvelous snacks when hard boiled.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    This one needs to be shouted:

"ACCORDING TO A STUDY BY THE HARVARD SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH, THERE IS NO SIGNIFICANT LINK BETWEEN EGG CONSUMPTION AND HEART DISEASE"
  • Lyssabeth22
    Options
    Love eggs :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    There is actually very little evidence that there is a connection between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol, though we are still advised to limit red meat. Mostly, we should stay at a healthy weight, eat a balanced diet of real food and get exercise. Eggs have many beneficial nutrients and are not high in calories if prepared without added fats.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    not bad for an ALL CAPS topic :wink:
  • brentdaniels
    brentdaniels Posts: 127
    Options
    If it's that healthy for the eyes I should be able to see thru walls! LOL...Seriously though I eat an egg white omelette(4 whites) almost everyday. Usually I just use 2% cheese in it, but from time to time I will dress it up with some salsa or chopped veggies.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Eggs have Leptin !!! :heart: eggs !

and for those wondering what is leptin it plays a key role in regulating energy intake and energy expenditure, including appetite and metabolism. It is one of the most important adipose derived hormones.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I usually use half eggs, and half whites. so my 4 egg omelet is 2 of each. all whites is not very tasty, no matter what I add into it. Thanks! Now I know its o.k.!!

Agreed! I just can't eat ONLY whites unless on a sandwich with lots of cheese or mayo! No matter what i do to whites, can't eat unless I use some yolks!

100% agree with all the wonderful statements about eggs! Natures perfect little food! Eat 'em folks! Yolks rule!!
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post!:flowerforyou:
  • FruitLoop05317
    Options
    bump!! thats awesome!!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I could live off of eggies and ketchup. Just sayin'.
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Yeah but that pesky lil' shell ruins everything. Just kidding. Love me some eggs!
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    My fiance read somewhere yesterday that had people eating the same amount of calories for breakfast, one had no eggs, one ate two, the people that ate two eggs every day lost 67% more than the other people as well.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I eat eggs every day and I've never understood why some people don't eat the yolks. A whole egg is only 70 calories and as you have mentioned, very good for you. Thanks again for the information!!! :bigsmile:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Eggs are high calorie no matter which way you slice it, so I still find myself tossing a few yokes, but it is true that eggs were completely mischaracterized. They are healthy!:drinker:
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I have long believed that eggs are good for you but I am curious if you have a link to the study.
    It is a shame that such an economical source of protein is so feared. I cannot fathom throwing away a perfectly good yolk just to eat a nasty egg white. Whole eggs are the way to go for me. I cannot remember where I read this so take it with a grain of salt please, but I read that there is something in the whites (lecithin, I believe) which makes it so that you are not absorbing the bad stuff (cholesterol and sat. fats?). Anyway, ever since I read that I have added eggs back into my diet. They are certainly not my favorite food but I have them whenever I want without remorse.