TRUTH ABOUT EGGS

Options

Replies

• rougenoire
    rougenoire Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just tucking in to my lunch time salad with two gorgeous free range hard boiled eggs! I hadn't realised they were good for nails and hair but now I think about it since I have been eating more eggs my nails are disctinctly stronger.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Another egg lover here :happy:
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I could eat eggs for breakfast every day and never get tired of them. Oh wait, I do!!

I'm glad you posted this! I decided to stop removing the yolks from my eggs anymore after reading about what nutrients are in the yolk vs what nutrients are in the whites.

And this reinforces my decision! Thank you!
  • Snowbird73
    Snowbird73 Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks for that enlightening bit of research. I find that eggs are far more satisfying than other (formulated) types of protein. When I am in a rush, I sometimes drink a Premier Nutrition's "Pure Protein" shake for breakfast and find myself hungry long before lunch time and, despite the 30 grams of protein in the shake, I am left with no energy. Eggs satisfy my appetite for hours and give me tons of energy.
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I've been wondering for quite some time whether or not eating 2 eggs a day could cause me any harm.
  • HausfrauB
    HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
    Options

10. Eggs promote healthy hair and nails because of their high sulphur content and wide array of vitamins and minerals. Many people find their hair growing faster after adding eggs to their diet, especially if they were previously deficient in foods containing sulphur or B12.

So true!!! Yesterday I noticed that my nails are not breaking off like they were before I went low carb and started eating more eggs!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I eat all whole eggs all the time. Sometimes I eat 4-6 for one meal. The yolk is where most of the nutrients are at.
    Whole eggs or egg whites are great... What I do because I need the saturated fat, I use 2 regular eggs and the rest are egg whites.

for example...
    Eggs are great for the eyes. According to one study, an egg a day may prevent macular degeneraton due to the carotenoid content, specifically lutein and zeaxanthin. Both nutrients are more readily available to our bodies from eggs than from other sources.

2. In another study, researchers found that people who eat eggs every day lower their risk of developing cataracts, also because of the lutein and zeaxanthin in eggs.

3. One egg contains 6 grams of high-quality protein and all 9 essential amino acids.

4. According to a study by the Harvard School of Public Health, there is no significant link between egg consumption and heart disease. In fact, according to one study, regular consumption of eggs may help prevent blood clots, stroke, and heart attacks.

5. They are a good source of choline. One egg yolk has about 300 micrograms of choline. Choline is an important nutrient that helps regulate the brain, nervous system, and cardiovascular system.

6. They contain the right kind of fat. One egg contains just 5 grams of fat and only 1.5 grams of that is saturated fat.

7. New research shows that, contrary to previous belief, moderate consumption of eggs does not have a negative impact on cholesterol. In fact, recent studies have shown that regular consumption of two eggs per day does not affect a person's lipid profile and may, in fact, improve it. Research suggests that it is saturated fat that raises cholesterol rather than dietary cholesterol.

8. Eggs are one of the only foods that contain naturally occurring vitamin D.

9. Eggs may prevent breast cancer. In one study, women who consumed at least 6 eggs per week lowered their risk of breast cancer by 44%.

10. Eggs promote healthy hair and nails because of their high sulphur content and wide array of vitamins and minerals. Many people find their hair growing faster after adding eggs to their diet, especially if they were previously deficient in foods containing sulphur or B12.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I always use whole eggs the yolks have plenty of benefits (not to mention flavor).
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    11. They taste great!
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This message brought to you by.... the Iowa Egg Council.... j/k :) Eggs are a tasty, convenient way to pick up some protein!
  • kabbit42
    kabbit42 Posts: 85
    Options
    Yes, I love eggs! I hate it when people side eye me and tell me eggs are bad for you and I am going to have horrible cholesterol. No. Eggs fried in a cup of grease are not the only way to eat them and I don't think anyone has ever had a heart attack from eating hardboiled eggs. I hate that eggs have such a bad rap because they are wonderful. I eat at least 2 a day and would gladly eat more if it didn't mean more trips to the store.
  • anna0478
    anna0478 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have hens in my backyard--I swear I'll never eat store-bought again :) You've never had an egg until you've had farm fresh!

Two eggs (boiled, whites only) have enough protein in them that they'll tide me over until lunch.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    It is best to find fresh, farm eggs where the hens hunt and peck for their food.

I don't think buying grocery store eggs where the hens have been fed a bunch of vegetarian, soy based food is healthy...........

Chickens are NOT vegetarians.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    This one needs to be shouted:

"ACCORDING TO A STUDY BY THE HARVARD SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH, THERE IS NO SIGNIFICANT LINK BETWEEN EGG CONSUMPTION AND HEART DISEASE"

Yes, it needs to be shouted and shouted again and again.

Egg consumption has little or nothing to do with cholestrol levels and there is no link in regards to heart disease either.

Elevated triglycerides are more the cause than anything. Eating a bunch of processed food and sugar (yes, even too much fruit raises triglycerides) is the cause of heart disease due to the inflammation.
  • kabbit42
    kabbit42 Posts: 85
    Options
    I don't understand the whole whites only thing either. The yolk is the most delicious part and I would feel so wasteful throwing half of the egg away. Also I would never pour my eggs out of a carton, the idea of that is so unnatural and wrong.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I don't understand the whole whites only thing either. The yolk is the most delicious part and I would feel so wasteful throwing half of the egg away. Also I would never pour my eggs out of a carton, the idea of that is so unnatural and wrong.

Yes, I agree. It makes me throw up in my mouth a bit everytime someone mentions using those cartoned eggs.

Ewww
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love eggs! I hate it when people side eye me and tell me eggs are bad for you and I am going to have horrible cholesterol. No. Eggs fried in a cup of grease are not the only way to eat them and I don't think anyone has ever had a heart attack from eating hardboiled eggs. I hate that eggs have such a bad rap because they are wonderful. I eat at least 2 a day and would gladly eat more if it didn't mean more trips to the store.

Mmmmmm.... grease..... :)
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I actually had a scrambled egg with light cheese last night for a snack. It was awesome!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    awesome
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Love me some eggs anytime of the day :love: