I just ate 30 minutes ago, why am i starving again?

Options

Replies

• sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    This was happening to me all of last week, but this week it's gone away. For me it happens most often when I try to cut down on rice... I end up eating a ton of protein and other carbs instead, but they still leave me hungry. Everyone's body is different, of course, but I find that I need my Asian staple food to stay full and happy. :wink:

Other triggers, though, can be stress and emotional issues, and TOM as someone already mentioned!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    i'm seriously wondering if its just stomach pain. these pangs aren't the same as the hunger i feel when i haven't eaten, like in the morning. no stomach growling, just feeligns of hunger.

could i be addicted to eating?

every time i eat it sems to make it worse. of course i'm only eating small snacks. like a banana or a few almonds. i've already exceeded my daily goal of both fiber and protein, and i am -still- hungry. i'm actually craving protein----acording to what mfp says i should have---- right now. all i have left is carbs and fat. i'm still low on my calorie intake for the day, but i really haven't done much today.

Something you said.. "everytime i eat it seems to make it worse" Go to the doctor.. you could have an ulcer! I had one, and I ate because that was literally the only time i wasnt hurting.
  • TheGarthock
    TheGarthock Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find that if you just started cutting back on the amount of food you've been eating (because many times, as in my case, I was way over eating) it takes about a week and a half two weeks to not feel starved all the time. Green tea and decaffeinated green tea helps me feel less hungry. Also the other suggestion I heard about water was good. I'd have a small bit of food and then finish off with water. Good luck.
  • ocukor1
    ocukor1 Posts: 66
    Options
    All calories are not created equal. I find if I eat processed foods, selections high in sugar and low in fiber my blood sugar fluctuates more and leads to more hunger. When I eat fresh fruits, vegetables, lean protein and whole grains I can eat more, feel satisfied throughout the day (I get hungry right before it's time to eat again) and I lose more weight. But I do notice one other thing. If I've been on a plateau I will get very hungry right before a new weight loss occurs. Good luck. Hope you find your answers.

This is exactly what happens with the insulin response. Our body is very responsive in regulating blood sugar, and simple carbs like bread, potatoes, pasta will up your sugar and create a big insulin response which will try to get rid of all the excess sugar and store it as fat, during that process the blood sugar will drop again and we feel hungry again.
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Oh my, you know ALWAYS take my hunger away? Exercise.

Sometimes I feel hungry, and start working on the backyard, or use Wii, or the treadmill, the hunger goes away, while you exercise, and a little while after that, then you will feel it again, but by that time , the clock has mover a while, and you have already burned something you are going to eat.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    A lot of reasons have been discussed already. Maybe eat something with fiber along with your shrimp next time? Like some broccoli or another fibrous veggie or some high fiber beans? You could have had the shrimp on a salad with other fiber filled veggies and a few beans. Fiber fills you up. Also, if I don't get enough sleep during the week, my body realizes that I am tired and will want me to get energy from food. Have you been getting your 8 hours of sleep a night? Drinking 64 oz of water a day can help. Some people think they are drinking more than they actually are so chart it accurately. And you can always go for a walk and see if that takes the hunger away. Good luck to you.

Good luck!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    It's a lie! Don't listen! As you retrain your mind and body, those silly thoughts will go away. Don't give in! It looks like you're just starting this, and your food choices sound good. It's not easy in the beginning, but your body and mind will adjust. Distract yourself with other activities. Unfortunately, this is a learning process and not entirely painless. Do something that's fun or at least keeps you busy when the urge to eat strikes at inappropriate times. Good luck with this. With persistence, you will succeed, and you'll love the results!
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I find that if I don't eat breakfast by 8:30, have a snack( cheesestick,or something small) around 9:30/10:00,lunch 12,snack at 3,dinner at 6:30, I am doomed.I need the snacks in between,even if it is early in the day to prevents me from being starving later.

I agree on the water,drink up!

You said you do not excercise because it is too hot. Is swimming an option for you? It is great excercise and it keeps you cool.

Good Luck!
  • momar74
    momar74 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi - I just flipped through your diary, it looks like you may be trying to do too much in a short period of time. It looks like you have cut your calorie intake in half for the past 4-5 days to 800-900 cals/day. You may want to take smaller steps in lowering your calorie intake. Try to eat your goal calories for a week or longer then try to cut it down by 10% and so forth. The hunger pangs may be your body's way of telling you that you are in starvation mode.

Good luck!!!
  • BeyondThePixels
    BeyondThePixels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Drink some room temperature water.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I find sugar does that to me and then anything I eat after just makes me hungrier. I find tea makes it stop for me.

This! I had a key lime tart last night for dessert and it wasn't enough (mentally) I had to do something to occupy my mind. Drinking water or iced tea helps me.
  • DepauvilleKid
    Options
    If you're just starting to change the way you eat, I bet you are hungry. I was hungry a lot the first week. The problem I found was that I thought anytime I wasn't full, I was hungry. It's like my stomach was 3/4 full, so I interpreted that as hungry. Just endure. After a week or so, your body and mind realize that it's okay not to have a completely full stomach 24/7. My body finally realized that not being completely stuffed all day is okay and the hunger pains subsided. Just keep it up and it gets better. After a few weeks your stomach will shrink and a normal meal will be enough. Over eating has been your normal for so long that anything less feels like you're starving.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I get that way when I ovulate. Usually everyone else says it's during that time of the month but for me when I ovulate I could eat a million times of day and still be hungry.
  • shookld
    shookld Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    was there sugar in the cocktail sauce? It sounds like you're having a low glycemic energy lull (totally not the correct term, I know). After you eat something that contains sugar, you feel satisfied, then you 'crash' and feel even hungrier before. If you're sensitive, you may want to stick with snacks that are slow-burning, like protein.
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I go thru this all the time when I am not watching what I eat--I cannot get enough-the whole time feeling guilty, which makes me eat more. Once it clicks in my mind, I can get with the program. Then, if I am having a hungry day, I try drinking water. I tell myself I'm probably losing weight, so it is worth it. I get up early so my daily intake is 4:00 a.m. Breakfast smoothie, 7:00 a.m. banana and slice of low fat cheese, 10:00 piece of fruit; 1:00 lunch- another smoothie or protein bar w/fruit, 3:00-4:00 veggies, dinner around 6:00, bed around 8:00 or 9:00. Good luck, I feel your pain. Good for you for reaching out.:heart:
  • shookld
    shookld Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like the suggestion to drink water -- maybe the cocktail sauce was salty and you were actually thirsty?
  • mileycat08
    mileycat08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You still have over 400 calories for the day. You dont want to eat too little because then your body will go into "starvation mode" and start storing more fat. Try spacing out your meals more and try to eat healthy snacks in between meals to stay fuller longer. I like to eat the nature valley protein bars as a snack if I get hungry after dinner. They have alot of peanuts in them so they usually keep me satisfied for the rest of the night.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    you should talk to your doc.... is your diary public? That might help too if other take a look at your eating habits and then they can give tips.

ALSO: It is better if you don't drink with your meal if you have acid reflux. It can actually make it much much worse. It's very hard but it can also cause food to break down differently so you aren't absorbing nutrients.

Your body is trying to tell you something.. you just have to figure out what that is and that is not always easy! Good luck!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I agree with the PPs that said to go see your doc. It could be reflux, it could be an ulcer -- and excessive thirst is also one of the symptoms of diabetes. If you're drinking 100 oz a day and still thirsty, that's worth asking about.
  • jadejadelee
    Options
    I'm fine eating small meals for breakfast and lunch and feeling "sort of' hungry most the day, but as soon as I eat dinner all I want to do is eat the rest of the night until I go to bed.

I've just altered the way I eat to accommodate that. I eat a small breakfast and small lunch and then a normal dinner. I'll usually have anywhere between 400-500 calories that I can eat after dinner. I tried to change and eat differently, but then I was just binging after dinner and going over calories, so now I make sure I have some extra calories after dinner.

I found the same thing and a few months ago I applied it like you do have a calorie heavy dinner and much smaller meals during day. I found sticking to the 1200cal a day much easier in fact it was the first time I thought I might actually be able to see my calorie restriction through to goal.

Then I listened to my very good nutritionist advice, who encouraged me to make lunch my biggest meal. And I fell of the wagon immediately and it has taken me a few months to get back on. (she is a very lovely lady and good at her job and had a valid reason for her advice).

My body wants food at the evening, I can tell myself during the day that a nice hearty meal will be had tonight and that helps me get through the day. It may not be the 'ideal' in terms of some weightloss theories but if it keeps me at 1200cal then that has got to be more beneficial than 1600cal for the sake of trying to avoid eating at night.