Your Recipe: Chicken Tikka Masala

Options
Does anyone have a good recipe for chicken tikka masala??? That you have personally tried/twiqued?

I like it "Indian Hot"... so I can add peppers or something to make it hotter if need be.

I am just really starting to crave this dish but I want to make it well.

If you see this post later, feel free to PM me a link or a recipe if you don't mind sharing..

Thank you in advance...

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast 1.5 lbs
    Papaya ½ piece
    Curd 6 tbsp
    Ginger garlic paste 3 tbsp
    Lemon juice 3 tbsp
    Red chili 1 tbsp
    Roasted cumin seed 1 tsp
    Coriander powder 1 tsp
    Turmeric ½ tsp
    Chaat spice ½ tsp
    Mustard oil as required
    Salt to taste
    Coriander to garnish

In a bowl, add curd, lemon juice, cumin, turmeric, coriander powder, chaat spice, salt, papaya, ginger garlic paste, mustard oil and it mix well.

Add chicken in the mixture and marinate it for 2 hours.

Preheat the oven on 350 for 15 minutes.

Then put the marinated chicken in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Take it out, broil it till you see a bit of charr forming

When ready, serve hot with favorite dip.
  • taunto
    Options
    s impler method is to goto your local indian store, get "Shaan tandoori chicken masala" or "shaan chicken tikka masala" (same spices, different techniques pretty much), use that along with lemon juice, olive oil on your chicken and marinate and cook like I posted above
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I LOVE YOU TAUNTO!
  • Romans624
    Options
    s impler method is to goto your local indian store, get "Shaan tandoori chicken masala" or "shaan chicken tikka masala" (same spices, different techniques pretty much), use that along with lemon juice, olive oil on your chicken and marinate and cook like I posted above

Oh I forget, is that for the chicken tikka, the masala, or both? Looks like chicken tikka :P, thank you :)
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    *stalking* I LOVE chicken tikka masala :). Never tried making it myself though
  • Romans624
    Options
    *stalking* I LOVE chicken tikka masala :). Never tried making it myself though

I have had it from one or two restaurants that did a most incredible job it beat the best feeling in the world.... well a little arguable, but still. As far as food goes I could have it every meal of my life with cheese naan and rice and never grow weary of it (just fat)
  • taunto
    Options
    chicken Tikka/Tandori (same spices, different techniques) is the same as BBQ'ing a chicken.

chicken tikka MASALA means you're making a curry out of the chicken tikka spices

What I posted above is for Chicken Tikka (Sorry didn't saw Masala when I read the post). If you want curry to go with it, just use the shaan spices I mentioned above and add 1 cup of yogurt when marinating and cook it in a pot for about 30 minutes of till when the meat starts falling off the bones. Make sure to put cuts on the chicken so more of the chicken areas are exposed to the spices. For chicken tikka masala I prefer using chicken drumsticks

A nice addition to to cooking chicken tikka masala is that when you're done cooking the chicken in the pot, make a piece of charcoal burning red hot, put it on a small piece of aluminum foil and put it on top of the curry. Then drizzle with some butter or olive oil and cover up the pot. The steam from the burning coal will give the curry a nice BBQ aroma

Edited: Never use chicken skin when making chicken tikka or chicken tikka masala. It tastes gross. Infact, whenever making chicken curry period never use the skin
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/06/skinny-chicken-tikka-masala.html

Low Fat Chicken Tikka Masala
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 4 • Size: 3 oz chicken + sauce • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 190.4 • Fat: 4.5 g • Carb: 12.8 g • Fiber: 2.0 g • Protein: 24.5 g • Sugar: 5.1
    Sodium: 99.3 (without salt)

Ingredients:
    2 tsp canola oil or you could use butter
    1 small onion, minced
    1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
    4 oz fat free yogurt (I used Chobani)
    1/2 cup 1% milk
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp garam masala
    1 tsp turmeric (optional)
    1/2 tbsp chili powder
    salt to taste
    16 oz (2 boneless) chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
    4 tbsp fresh cilantro (or to taste)

Directions:

Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until golden. Add the crushed ginger, stir for a few minutes then add the garlic and cook another minute. Add cumin, garam masala, turmeric, chili powder, and salt; mix well until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, yogurt and milk. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Add chicken and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes or until cooked through. Add a generous amount of chopped cilantro and serve with Basmati Rice or Naan.
  • Romans624
    Options
    chicken Tikka/Tandori (same spices, different techniques) is the same as BBQ'ing a chicken.

chicken tikka MASALA means you're making a curry out of the chicken tikka spices

What I posted above is for Chicken Tikka (Sorry didn't saw Masala when I read the post). If you want curry to go with it, just use the shaan spices I mentioned above and add 1 cup of yogurt when marinating and cook it in a pot for about 30 minutes of till when the meat starts falling off the bones. Make sure to put cuts on the chicken so more of the chicken areas are exposed to the spices. For chicken tikka masala I prefer using chicken drumsticks

A nice addition to to cooking chicken tikka masala is that when you're done cooking the chicken in the pot, make a piece of charcoal burning red hot, put it on a small piece of aluminum foil and put it on top of the curry. Then drizzle with some butter or olive oil and cover up the pot. The steam from the burning coal will give the curry a nice BBQ aroma

Edited: Never use chicken skin when making chicken tikka or chicken tikka masala. It tastes gross. Infact, whenever making chicken curry period never use the skin

I love the idea about the burning coal, probably more like a tandoor.

Is this the spice mix you mean? Sorry to bother :P

http://www.ishopindian.com/shan-tandoori-chicken-bbq-mix-pr-21967.html
  • taunto
    Options

I love the idea about the burning coal, probably more like a tandoor.

Is this the spice mix you mean? Sorry to bother :P

http://www.ishopindian.com/shan-tandoori-chicken-bbq-mix-pr-21967.html

Yup, thats the one. At most indian stores you can get it for less than a $1
    Edit: Shaan is a very popular Pakistani spices brand and have some of the most authentic indian homemade cooking spice mix's commercially available. I have tried other brands but they all just suck
  • Romans624
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/06/skinny-chicken-tikka-masala.html

Low Fat Chicken Tikka Masala
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 4 • Size: 3 oz chicken + sauce • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 190.4 • Fat: 4.5 g • Carb: 12.8 g • Fiber: 2.0 g • Protein: 24.5 g • Sugar: 5.1
    Sodium: 99.3 (without salt)

Ingredients:
    2 tsp canola oil or you could use butter
    1 small onion, minced
    1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
    4 oz fat free yogurt (I used Chobani)
    1/2 cup 1% milk
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp garam masala
    1 tsp turmeric (optional)
    1/2 tbsp chili powder
    salt to taste
    16 oz (2 boneless) chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
    4 tbsp fresh cilantro (or to taste)

Directions:

Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until golden. Add the crushed ginger, stir for a few minutes then add the garlic and cook another minute. Add cumin, garam masala, turmeric, chili powder, and salt; mix well until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, yogurt and milk. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Add chicken and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes or until cooked through. Add a generous amount of chopped cilantro and serve with Basmati Rice or Naan.

Thank you very much also. I will be sure to try any and all recipes here because this dish can be soo amazing. love it!
  • Romans624
    Options

Yup, thats the one. At most indian stores you can get it for less than a $1

Sounds good, I know there are a couple indian/international stores around here. awesome.

Random other question, what to use for HEAT?

chili peppers
    cayenne pepper
    chili powder
    chili oil

etc?
  • taunto
    Options
    The recipe I linked should be spicy enough and so are the shaan spices. But if you want more heat just put a pinch of chilli pepper powder (or cayann pepper if you have it alread). Chicken tikka and chicken tikka masala is more about creaminess and texture rather than heat though
  • Romans624
    Options
    The recipe I linked should be spicy enough and so are the shaan spices. But if you want more heat just put a pinch of chilli pepper powder (or cayann pepper if you have it alread). Chicken tikka and chicken tikka masala is more about creaminess and texture rather than heat though

Most restaurants I have had do it pretty mild, and it is creamy and has a very delicious flavor. I just happened to have it once where it had a perfect "bite" to it in a sense, and it was both Sweet and Spicy in a very perfect way. I just wanna get started making it. I am sure your recipe (and the other) will be delicious. I just like it hot =)
  • taunto
    Options
    if you're looking for a chicken recipe with some heat in it, try this one

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/chicken-jalfrezi-226129

To add more flavor from the grounded "seeds" like cumin and coriander seeds, roast them before you grind them. These processes eliminate the need for more peppers and give you more refined heat from other sources and enhancing other flavors at the same time.
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The one I used (that's been tried and tested on MANY) goes as follows... make as hot as you wish..... :) Personally I like more Andhra style recipes to get the flames in my mouth going.. but I'm finding I have to use more and more chillies to get to that point now! haha... PM or add me for more details on that... I can give you loads of authentic recipes! Spices always work best fresh, but store bought powders will work also...

This turns out very restaurant-like.... It's not a dry chicken tikka like previous post, but one in a nice hot creamy gravy.... both are good!

INGREDIENTS

A)
    1 cup yogurt
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    3 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 (or more) tsp chilli powder
    1 tbsp coriander powder
    1/4tsp turmeric powder
    1 tbsp minced ginger
    salt to taste

about 1.5 chicken cut into bite sized pieces

B)
    1 tbsp ghee/oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 (or more) green chillies, chopped
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp paprika
    1 large tomato liquified (can't think of the proper wording here for some reason! LOL!) (you can also use 8ox can of tomato sauce
    1 cup cream

coriander (cilantro) for garnish

DIRECTIONS:
    1.) In a bowl, combine spices under Ingredients A with yogurt and lemon juice... add chicken, stir well, cover, and marinate for 1 hour minimum.

2.) heat small amount of oil in pan on high heat, add chicken and cook for 5 minutes, turning every minute.This is important as it keeps the chicken moist and flavorful... this hint is the biggest i've learned when cooking any chicken curry... Take chicken off heat and set aside.

3.) In same pan, heat oil/ghee over medium heat. Add garlic and green chilli and saute for 1 minute. Add cumin, paprika, and salt to taste. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer 2-3 minutes and then add chicken. Cover and cook on medium for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low (more towards low) and cook covered another 20 minutes or until chicken is done.

4.) Garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy!!

Greatttttt with bread!!

THis is a good recipe, but like I said.... I'd love to share some more authentic Indian chicken recipes with you that will reaallllyyy get those taste buds going!!

Enjoy!
  • Romans624
    Options
    if you're looking for a chicken recipe with some heat in it, try this one

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/chicken-jalfrezi-226129

To add more flavor from the grounded "seeds" like cumin and coriander seeds, roast them before you grind them. These processes eliminate the need for more peppers and give you more refined heat from other sources and enhancing other flavors at the same time.

I love how you have so many pearls of wisdom about how to bring out flavor. I am lapping it up. Thank you.
  • Creativeballance
    Options
    Love it, love it, love it. I'm gonna try some of these myself.

The ones on allrecipes.com are pretty lame. The ones without "indian" spices are suspect in my opinion (no offense).
  • Romans624
    Options
    The one I used (that's been tried and tested on MANY) goes as follows... make as hot as you wish..... :) Personally I like more Andhra style recipes to get the flames in my mouth going.. but I'm finding I have to use more and more chillies to get to that point now! haha... PM or add me for more details on that... I can give you loads of authentic recipes! Spices always work best fresh, but store bought powders will work also...

This turns out very restaurant-like.... It's not a dry chicken tikka like previous post, but one in a nice hot creamy gravy.... both are good!

INGREDIENTS

A)
    1 cup yogurt
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    3 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 (or more) tsp chilli powder
    1 tbsp coriander powder
    1/4tsp turmeric powder
    1 tbsp minced ginger
    salt to taste

about 1.5 chicken cut into bite sized pieces

B)
    1 tbsp ghee/oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 (or more) green chillies, chopped
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp paprika
    1 large tomato liquified (can't think of the proper wording here for some reason! LOL!) (you can also use 8ox can of tomato sauce
    1 cup cream

coriander (cilantro) for garnish

DIRECTIONS:
    1.) In a bowl, combine spices under Ingredients A with yogurt and lemon juice... add chicken, stir well, cover, and marinate for 1 hour minimum.

2.) heat small amount of oil in pan on high heat, add chicken and cook for 5 minutes, turning every minute.This is important as it keeps the chicken moist and flavorful... this hint is the biggest i've learned when cooking any chicken curry... Take chicken off heat and set aside.

3.) In same pan, heat oil/ghee over medium heat. Add garlic and green chilli and saute for 1 minute. Add cumin, paprika, and salt to taste. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer 2-3 minutes and then add chicken. Cover and cook on medium for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low (more towards low) and cook covered another 20 minutes or until chicken is done.

4.) Garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy!!

Greatttttt with bread!!

THis is a good recipe, but like I said.... I'd love to share some more authentic Indian chicken recipes with you that will reaallllyyy get those taste buds going!!

Enjoy!

This sounds great too! and YES if you have other recipes, techniques, anything I'd soak it up like a sponge! I think that indian/pakistani dishes are the design of brilliant minds because it all is just so... flavorful and amazing :D
  • Romans624
    Options
    Love it, love it, love it. I'm gonna try some of these myself.

The ones on allrecipes.com are pretty lame. The ones without "indian" spices are suspect in my opinion (no offense).

You know I have really hesitated about those. I started making them but ended up adding 10x the spice and also others (such as those in shanti's spice box on amazon.com).

Indian food has complex flavors, using certain techniques, doing things in a certain order, using fresh ingredients (ideally)etc.

Now I have read that, but I still don't know how to cook it. So I am so happy to get some recipes here.