Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    This pic sucks, but it's the first time I used this recipe... Actually I accidently spilled the turmeric into the mix!! HAHAHA!

P1000564.jpg

Also some Gajar ka Halwa... just because I wanted to post more pics... hahahaha....

P1000334.jpg
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    The chicken tikka masala still looks delish even if a bit extra yellow :love:

What is Gajar ka Halwa??
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    The chicken tikka masala still looks delish even if a bit extra yellow :love:

What is Gajar ka Halwa??

Sweet dish made with carrots. Very VERY delicious. I prefer gajrela though which is the same but with khoya (sweet cheese)

Or maybe its gajar ka halwa that has the cheese, its been a while and I sometimes mix the names
  • Telugammayi87
    Options
    Gajar Ka Halwa is a sweet dish made from carrots... my recipe also has Kaju (cashew) and dates... tasty!! :)

Here's some more... Mostly because I'm hungry and it's like torture going through these! LOL!

Chicken Biryani... I LOVE biryani... I'm going to Hyderabad in December.. I'm going to eat eat eat eat EAT!! It took me 3 attempts to really "perfect" my biryani....

P1020338.jpg

Coconut Laddoos.... oohhhh I love coconut ladus... yum yum yum YUM!!!

P1020253.jpg

Dahi ke Alu.. potatoes in a yogurt gravy basically..I added a boiled egg for some protein....
    P1020388.jpg
  • Telugammayi87
    Options
    UGHH!! I am resizing the stinking pics, but they are still appearing huge and cutoff... oops! Oh well, you get the idea... for most of them... lol!! Now I"m hungry!! THanks!!!! Will go sip some bed tea now!
  • Romans624
    Options
    I have read biryani a hundred times I need to try it to see what it is all about.

Thank you for the pics, I think I killed my computer from all the drool!

Y'all are awesome thank you... and again if anyone ever picks up this thread again please feel free to email me anything about how to cook indian food well.

Be blessed everyone :flowerforyou:
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Romans624
    Options
    bump

I think a lot of people have yet to discover indian food...

I have a few family members that didn't like what they had at restaurants, but in my opinion that is unfortunate... many restaurants don't do a good job indeed however when you find one BAM... its like a love affair with indian food for life.
  • Telugammayi87
    Options
    My mom said "I just don't like curry!"

I said "Mom... that's like saying 'I don't like soup!'"

Really....

I agree a lot of people have not "discovered" Indian food... I for one LOVE it!! My boyfriend is South Indian and he drooooooooooooools over my food... I'm going to India in December... Why do you think I want to lose so much weight? So I can gain it all back when I get there... DUH!!!

hihihi ;)
  • Telugammayi87
    Options
    Aslo, biryani can be a bit difficult and time consuming.. it's worth it.... BUT you could try a much easier chicken pulaoo first if you'd like. Biryani is 10000000000000% better, but pulaoo is good! I'm hungry!!
  • Romans624
    Options
    Aslo, biryani can be a bit difficult and time consuming.. it's worth it.... BUT you could try a much easier chicken pulaoo first if you'd like. Biryani is 10000000000000% better, but pulaoo is good! I'm hungry!!

Just saw this, yeah I should probably start with the tikka masala recipe, get some practice and go on up to more difficult recipes. One thing that I have absolutely no experience in is baking... I tried to make naan once.. horrible. Of course it helps to read through the whole recipe a couple times before, make sure you have everything ready all the equipment, etc. lol. :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'll post my recipe for Korma here. It took me literally a year of experimenting to get this right in terms of taste and consistency. I wanted the taste of Korma the way British Indian curry houses got it and I finally found it.

The one thing I learned in my quest, is that the base part of any curry recipe is essentially always the same. It's pretty much only the sauce that changes. So in this case, you could create exactly the same recipe except replace the sauce with a pre-made jarred sauce for Masala as Taunto already mentioned.

This should serve 4 at least....

Sauce...

1 can coconut milk
    1/4 cup cashews
    1/4 cup boiling water
    1/2 small tin of tomato paste

Spices...

1tsp garam masala
    1tsp coriander powder
    1tsp turmeric
    1tsp cumin powder
    1 bay leaf
    1 cinnamon stick
    2 cloves
    2 split cardomom pods
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp red chili powder
    1 tsp sugar
    2 tsp garlic and ginger paste

Other stuff....

1-2lbs fresh chicken breast
    1/4 cup golden raisins
    some fresh cilantro for garnish
    1-2 cups basmati rice
    1 large red onion, finely chopped
    bit of finely chopped jalapeno (if desired)
    Anything else you like come to think of it. Potatoes, tomatoes... most things fit into this.
    mushrooms (if desired)

0. You may want to consider marinading your chicken in a plain yoghurt and tandoor seasoning for a few hours ahead of time. This does have a small positive affect on flavor, though not as much as you might think.

1. Soak cashews in boiling water for 10 minutes, Then blend them with the coconut milk and the tom paste until the mixture is smooth. (this makes the korma sauce - not needed in your case)

2. Put some oil in a skillet and throw in the bay leaf, cardomom pods, cinnamon stick and cloves. Fry for a few minutes to flavor the oil.

3. Throw in the onion and ginger/garlic paste. Fry until transclucent (5 mins) - this is by far the most important step. I've found if I don't do this part until I've created a golden/transluscent paste, the flavor of the whole curry is altered.

4. Add the chicken and other ingredients and fry until chicken is white on the outside (doesn't have to be done all the way through).

5. Throw in all the other spices and fry until it's all evenly coated. This is the bit where it starts smelling like a real curry.

6. Pour in the cashew/coconut milk/tom paste mixture, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. (In your case pour in a Masala sauce)

7. If too liquidy, mix 1tsp of cornstarch with 1tsp of water and add, simmer for another 5 mins.

8. Cook rice in rice cooker (it's the only way). I like to throw in cardomom, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and cloves to flavor it.

9. Remove curry from heat, stir in the raisins and the cilantro. Serve with rice and naan bread.

Happy om noms! :-)
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Bump... I want to try making something Indian - I love curry and I wish my husband was more open to new foods. He is such a picky eater and although I've suggested making Indian food before, he always shoots it down. I don't think he's tried it more than once... It's kind of hard to judge an entire culture's food on one dish. There are so many!

What is coconut ladus and how do you make them? I must know!
  • Romans624
    Options
    Thank you Captain Tight, I ♥ chicken korma too. I used to eat it at whole foods all the time when I was in Denver.

Love that stuff. I so appreciate you all sharing your precious, and tested recipes because I know that indian food is not easy to get right right away... so I really am feeling pretty lucky!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    What is Gajar ka Halwa??

Gajar = carrot. Halwa is well, halwa (similar to the kind you find in the middle east). My version is more solid and also WAY more labor intensive than the stuff you normally find in restaurants (also, more delicious).
  • Romans624
    Options
    What is Gajar ka Halwa??

Gajar = carrot. Halwa is well, halwa (similar to the kind you find in the middle east). My version is more solid and also WAY more labor intensive than the stuff you normally find in restaurants (also, more delicious).

OoOoh... are you willing to share??? =D
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have adapted this recipe http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/2011/01/01/chicken-tikka-masala/

Marinade:
    1 6 oz container non fat greek plain yogurt
    1 tablespoon lemon juice, from 1 lemon
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
    1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts halves

Combine in container and marinate 30-60 minutes, discard marinade
    Brown chicken, I don't use oil, and cut into bite size pieces

Sauce:

This is where your taste preference really affects what you add:

1 tablespoon butter
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp minced ginger
    1jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
    2 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoons salt, or to taste
    1 teaspoon garam masala
    1 teaspoon coriander
    1 sweet bell pepper
    1 14.5 oz can tomato sauce
    1 cup fat free milk
    6-8 roma tomatoes, chopped
    chopped veggies, usually whatever is in the fridge: carrots, green beans, cauliflower, zucchini
    Browned marinated chicken
    Sometimes I add premade Tikka Curry paste but not always

The key is to make a dry masala. Melt your butter and then add your spices, garlic and jalapeno. Cook stirring these about 1 minute. You will smell the spices reach the point where they are ready. They will form a fragrant paste. Mix remaining sauce ingredients together and cook until veggies are completely cooked, usually 30 minutes. Check thickness and if too thick add fat free broth or water

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (for garnish)

I serve with rice
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    What is Gajar ka Halwa??

OoOoh... are you willing to share??? =D

Sure thing. Keep in mind that I don't measure *anything*. Everything is done by taste, so I can give you guidelines, but not recipes (this is why I don't post my recipes as a general rule).

Grate carrots. Food processor makes this easier. Cook (in a pressure cooker if you have one) with a little milk and a little ghee. Once cooked, mash the carrots, and cook on a low flame until the moisture is mostly gone. Add sugar to taste, more ghee, and keep frying down until the carrots stick together and release the ghee. In a little ghee, stir fry some cashews until lightly brown. Add to the cooked carrots and mix well. Finish by adding powdered green cardamom (to taste; I love it, so I put a ton in). The finished halwa would be solid enough to be shaped, but still soft.

The whole thing takes about 8 hours for me. Usually, I start it in the evening with the cooking of the carrots, then finish it the following day, picking up from the add sugar/ghee part.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Sure thing. Keep in mind that I don't measure *anything*. Everything is done by taste, so I can give you guidelines, but not recipes (this is why I don't post my recipes as a general rule).

Me too. I made two versions, at the exact same time, of this last week, one without chicken for my sister. I used tofu in hers and even though I made them with the same spices they came out tasting different. The vegetarian one was more earthy and everyone preferred it.