How are you all losing?

Options
Did all of you lose just by counting the calories and entering exercises on MFP? Or did you all do something additional? I'm a skeptic. I've been using MFP consistently for 2 weeks and the scales are moving in the WRONG direction for me or not moving at all. I've been exercising more than ever. 1 hour on the stationary bike 4 - 5 times a week. And I've just started 1 hour on the elliptical starting this week :( I want to see results!!!! Help!! Any suggestions?

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Did all of you lose just by counting the calories and entering exercises on MFP? Or did you all do something additional? I'm a skeptic. I've been using MFP consistently for 2 weeks and the scales are moving in the WRONG direction for me or not moving at all. I've been exercising more than ever. 1 hour on the stationary bike 4 - 5 times a week. And I've just started 1 hour on the elliptical starting this week :( I want to see results!!!! Help!! Any suggestions?

I don't like the MFP way of adding in the exercise calories, as it has me too low on non-exercise days, so I just followed TDEE - 20% deficit.

I'm not sure what you mean by Something Additional - No Diet pills, magic potions, sweat suits, rasbery ketones etc.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Just eating and logging and not trying to make things go "faster than necessary". I am assuming you are eating 1200 a day which is low and purely assumption on my part, since I can't see your diary. I started out eating 1765+ exercise, now I eat 2600 + exercise.....
  • Sissy1074
    Sissy1074 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am entering my foods and exercises. I don't always eat my exercise calories back! I think the exercise cals are over what I really burn! I know that I didn't see any results for almost 2 weeks... I still haven't seen much in inches yet. I have dropped 12 pounds so far and I kinda took 2 weeks and wasn't logging much in....

Be persistent! Muscle does weigh more than fat so take that into consideration. When I was working out with a trainer I barely saw the scale move...But I lost 19 inches overall in the first 2 months!
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting a new excerise, it could be water retention.
    But I am running, eating the calories MFP recommends and I eat back my exercise calories if I am still hungry. And I've started weight lifting again.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Ignore the scales, like healthy bowels they'll move when they're good and ready. I can't be bothered going and buying a scale and weighing myself, tbh. If my clothes are fitting better then I'm a-ok. Are yours fitting better? Could you be eating more than you're logging? Not intentionally, of course, but our brains are tricky little buggers and we tend to perceive the weight and dimensions of our food as being lower than it actually is.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You are doing an awful lot of cardio- did I understand that right, one hour each on the bike and ellipitcal 4-5 times a week? Are you going the same speed for the whole hour? Because I think that can be counter productive.

I started out just counting calories (1200 a day) and doing some form of cardio for around 30 min a night, and I did lose a little weight (about 5 pounds) that way, but I still had so much flab I couldn't get rid of. I decided to quit doing cardio. It was boring and time consuming and I felt like it wasn't doing anything for me. Now I do only body weight exercises- pushups, squats, lunges, pull ups, tricep dips, and a couple times a week I do deadlifts and kettlebell swings. I was doing bench and shoulder presses but I kind of got off of doing those and now I can't get motivated to start up again. Takes me about 15 min a day, and I have noticed a huge difference. I can't say enough good things about pushups. No one really ever thinks about what all they do for your body. It is not just a tricep workout- it works out your back, you arms, and surprisingly, your abs. My sides totally tightened up after a month or so of regular pushups.

I quit calorie counting. It just got too tedious. Instead I just cut out almost all wheat and sugar products which pretty much ensures a lower calorie count without the work of logging everything. Although I don't log foods anymore I still really recommend it for awhile- just to get an idea of what the calorie count in everything is, as well as how much protein, fiber, sugar, and sodium is in each food. I eat vegetables at every meal and for snacks- prob 5-6 servings a day. I eat probably 2-4 servings of fruit a day, and try to get in at least 20 (30 is better) grams of protein per meal. Lots of chicken breasts, turkey burgers, eggs, tuna, shrimp. I have lost another 7 pounds changing (not just reducing) my eating habits and just doing the body weight exercises.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I started reading up and concentrating more on the human fat metabolism and less on the calories.

Sounds dull and geeky but there you go ...
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Look at your diary for this week...the answer is right there! 500-800 net calories!?
  • godknowsican
    Options
    Hi Abby - I only do the bicycle or elliptical for an hour per day not both. I've been getting these in around 4 days a week for 2 weeks now.

And escloflowne - whats wrong with my net calories?
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I myself lose weight by watching what I eat. I don't eat junk food (often) not pop, no processed crap, no fast food. And I'm losing 2lb/week right now. I do not do any exercise due to injury, but on my really good days I can go for a walk. I don't log it though. Half hour with the kids is not an intense work out.

But looking at your diary, Eat more!! 800 calories a day is not healthy, especially if you are working out.
  • godknowsican
    Options
    i'm trying to be painfully honest with my logging. i know i've had some outrageous days. But my log is 98% accurrate
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Counting calories. Eat as healthy as I can most of the time. Allow myself to have foods that I want/crave sometimes.

I use the method of eating at maintenance for my goal weight....so I don't worry about eating back exercise calories. I eat the same amount every day (whether I run 5 miles or it's a rest day). It works pretty well for me!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'm using www.reddit.com/r/keto+fitness+loseit+getmotivated to keep me on track. :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm creating a calorie deficit.

I'm also eating the appropriate amount of macronutrients for body composition goals.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Look at your diary for this week...the answer is right there! 500-800 net calories!?

^^^THIS. You are eating waaaaay too little. Your journey will continue to slug along if you continue to deprive your body of the fuel it needs to function properly. You are doing yourself a disservice. Do not be afraid of food. Eat PLENTY of the right foods, drink at least 10-12 glasses of water and continue to exercise and you will surely see results. They could possibly even double. But only if you are doing the right thing. Good luck to you. :happy:
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    WHOA! 800 Calories is your goal? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Again, NO.

You need to eat more. You can't expect your car to drive across the country on half a tank of gas.

Again, NOOOOOOOOOOO.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Your calories are crazily low and there is no way that MFP set it that low for you. If you aren't using it properly you can't really complain it's not working.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I lose minimum 4-6 pounds a week. I only use MFP to track my macros, i eat whatever the fk i want. I'll splurge eat, gain 20 pounds in a week and lose it all in 2-3 weeks because i can lmao. You're probably eating too much, also you are over thinking. Eat healthy, eat less, train more. it's as simple as that.

It's incredibly dangerous to say she's probably eating too much - several people on this thread have commented on how LOW her calories are, they are at 800 a day :/ Did you look at her diary before you commented?
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Go here - seriously - it's all you will need to know.
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Good points in this thread. I'd just like to add that resistance training will help your body burn fat instead of muscle.