Peanut Butter advice - Help!

Options

Replies

• akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Peanut butter is a good source of protein- and monounsaturated (GOOD) fat , as well as a good source of fiber, magnesium and potassium.

Read/compare labels and opt for the one(s) you can find that are LOWEST in SODIUM and SUGAR.
    Generally it's the natural ones and/or organic.
    Note: Reduced fat ones are most often HIGHER in sugar/sodium (which is true of most reduced fat products)

If you find them not sweet enough, you can always sprinkle a little of your own preferred sweetener on top. I do this with stevia.

Yeah with that being said, people knowing it's healthy, over eat it, and it's high in calories and before they know it, they've eaten 1000 fking calories worth of peanut butter, healthy or not, it's high in calories and not for irresponsible people with poor relationship with food, especially the obese people on here who are here to change their lives and their eating habits. I believe it's best to stay away from high caloric density foods such as peanut butter, because such a small serving is such high in calories, and i guarantee you the majority of people under estimate their servings and have more then they're really logging. Bet you anything, then they complain that their not losing weight or gaining more weight despite eating "healthy"
  • flyuk
    flyuk Posts: 28
    Options
    Peanut butter is a good source of protein- and monounsaturated (GOOD) fat , as well as a good source of fiber, magnesium and potassium.

Read/compare labels and opt for the one(s) you can find that are LOWEST in SODIUM and SUGAR.
    Note: Reduced fat ones are most often HIGHER in sugar/sodium (which is true of most reduced fat products)

If you find them not sweet enough, you can always sprinkle a little of your own preferred sweetener on top. I do this with stevia.

Yeah with that being said, people knowing it's healthy, over eat it, and it's high in calories and before they know it, they've eaten 1000 fking calories worth of peanut butter, healthy or not, it's high in calories and not for irresponsible people with poor relationship with food, especially the obese people on here who are here to change their lives and their eating habits. I believe it's best to stay away from high caloric density foods such as peanut butter, because such a small serving is such high in calories, and i guarantee you the majority of people under estimate their servings and have more then they're really logging. Bet you anything, then they complain that their not losing weight or gaining more weight despite eating "healthy"

Agreed 100%. Unless you weigh it precisely and count it as one of the ingredients of your daily food you might be on the nasty end of a bad week of weight loss. I use it to ensure I meet my targets as a booster to my calories. If I'm 500cal short in a day for example, I'll knock up a shake/sandwich with Peanut/Almond butter. Tastes nice, but not really essential to your diet, and especially not essential if you struggle to stay under your daily calorie requirements.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Obese people know how to measure their food. Your post is extremely condescending.

If a person cannot control him or herself with peanut butter, that person might want to make the choice to not have it in the house. I've had to do that with certain foods myself. But not everyone is incapable of measuring a portion and sticking to it, just because that person happens to be obese.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Is there a store near you where you can get fresh peanuts ground through a machine? That's your best option. I have that done at Whole Foods locally where I live
  • flyuk
    Options
    Obese people know how to measure their food. Your post is extremely condescending.

If a person cannot control him or herself with peanut butter, that person might want to make the choice to not have it in the house. I've had to do that with certain foods myself. But not everyone is incapable of measuring a portion and sticking to it, just because that person happens to be obese.

I think that's a bit unfair. Most obese people are like that because of their bad relationship with food. In your second paragraph you are actually agreeing that if you have food control issues you shouldn't put yourself in a position where you can be week. Same can be said of drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I'm obese. Don't measure my food and have lost significantly and consistently. Maybe you shouldn't be making assumptions about people. Not everyone who is obese fails to comprehend the concept of moderation.
  • akiramezu
    Options

I wasn't being condescending, i was stating a truth. I was fat before because i over ate, underestimated how much i REALLY ate and didn't bother taking into consideration portion sizes. They are overweight and obese because they have or have HAD a poor relationship with food. I'm not saying they can't measure, i'm saying they are most likely going to eye out the peanut butter instead of measuring it, because i surely eye out my peanut butter and don't use a proper tablespoon measuring spoon.
  • akiramezu
    Options

I'm obese. Don't measure my food and have lost significantly and consistently. Maybe you shouldn't be making assumptions about people. Not everyone who is obese fails to comprehend the concept of moderation.

I'm not being mean, but your obese because you do fail to comprehend the concept of moderation.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I think that's a bit unfair. Most obese people are like that because of their bad relationship with food. In your second paragraph you are actually agreeing that if you have food control issues you shouldn't put yourself in a position where you can be week. Same can be said of drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc...

It's also a bit unfair to say that a specific portion of the population should reject peanut butter as a quality food because of its caloric density. People aren't fat from over-eating peanut butter. People are fat because they just don't care. If they care, then they are using this site to learn how to eat properly, and therefore, can recognize the nutritional value of peanut butter without overdoing it.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I'm not being mean, but your obese because you do fail to comprehend the concept of moderation.

I never failed to comprehend the concept of moderation. I didn't care. There is a huge difference between the two.
  • rml_16
    Options

The post to which I refer assumes that every obese person has the same issues as every other obese person. Many overweight people will sit down with a bag of potato chips and eat the whole thing. Many obese people can't stand potato chips. And many like them but don't overdo it. They may overdo it with a different food.

Same with peanut butter.

To say that every obese person should not eat peanut butter at all is condescending. And someone on a weight loss program is learning to measure portions and stick to reasonable amounts. If a person (who is obese or not) can measure a portion of PB, eat it and stop, then there is no reason that person shouldn't have PB. The assumption that all people who are obese have the same food issues is condescending.
  • rml_16
    Options
    And, by the way, I am overweight because I had a fast metabolism most of my life and didn't have to worry about what I ate. As I got older, my body changed and I had to learn to watch portions. I never in my life (except on VERY rare special occasions) ate past the point of being hungry or ate when I wasn't hungry because of emotions or whatever.

Not every overweight person has a poor relationship with food. Sometimes they just never had to think about it before. I never ate vast amounts of any food. I just ate things that were higher in calories because they tasted good and I could get away with it. And then I lost all the weight I gained (and ate peanut butter every single day in the process) and I regained because of birth control., not lifestyle choices.
  • akiramezu
    Options

It's also a bit unfair to say that a specific portion of the population should reject peanut butter as a quality food because of its caloric density. People aren't fat from over-eating peanut butter. People are fat because they just don't care. If they care, then they are using this site to learn how to eat properly, and therefore, can recognize the nutritional value of peanut butter without overdoing it.

You have to stop being so offended and defensive, nobody here is picking on anybody, i was merely mentioning how people can over do it with the peanut butter and peanut butter being calorie dense is not something someone with poor relationship with food should eat, EVEN if they are here trying to understand the nutritional value. Coconut oil, olive oil is good, but you wouldn't want someone whose trying to lose weight drizzle their food with olive oil regardless of its good level of monosaturated fat. That being said with dark chocolate, yeah it's super healthy for you, but someone who in the past has binge eaten on chocolate, should stay away from dark chocolate despite it's antioxidant benefits. RED WINE FOR THAT MATTER as well. There are just things you should stay away from until you establish a good relationship with food and are well on track with your progress.
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Well, I had to check what remote UK island you were living in... Kent!?

Go back to Tesco or Asda and try again. It's next to the peanut butter.
    hey there Cheeky! lol! They don't stock it in the Asdas where I go to! I live in a smallish village where there is only an Asdas, I looked today. They DON'T have it in our Asdas so there lol
    ;0)
    I will, however, try Holland and Barratt this weekend.
    :p
  • akiramezu
    Options
    I'm just going to stop replying, because you get all butt hurt and offended, not wanting to admit the truth. So do whatever you want to do :) and continue as you are now :)
  • HulaHips83
    HulaHips83 Posts: 129
    Options
    I eat the generic reduced fat PB. No more than a tbsp at a time though. I usually eat it with apple slices.
  • rml_16
    Options

You have to stop being so offended and defensive, nobody here is picking on anybody, i was merely mentioning how people can over do it with the peanut butter and peanut butter being calorie dense is not something someone with poor relationship with food should eat, EVEN if they are here trying to understand the nutritional value. Coconut oil, olive oil is good, but you wouldn't want someone whose trying to lose weight drizzle their food with olive oil regardless of its good level of monosaturated fat. That being said with dark chocolate, yeah it's super healthy for you, but someone who in the past has binge eaten on chocolate, should stay away from dark chocolate despite it's antioxidant benefits. RED WINE FOR THAT MATTER as well. There are just things you should stay away from until you establish a good relationship with food and are well on track with your progress.

Stop projecting your food issues on everyone else.

Someone trying to lose weight absolutely SHOULD drizzle olive oil on their food, as the fats in olive oil have been proven to not only help lose weight, but specifically target visceral fat, which is the most dangerous kind. The same with dark chocolate.

And I ate peanut butter, healthy oils and dark chocolate every day during my weight loss. I went from a size 12 to a size 6 in fewer than three months. But according to you, I did it all wrong.
  • flyuk
    Options
    I think the point that was being made is that PB is a VERY calorie dense food, which if you are not careful with can ruin hours of hard work eating well or working out in the gym. As I said, I only have it to bolster my intake, because it is very easy to make a 1000kcal shake with just Peanut/Almond Butter, milk and honey.

If you come from a background of eating lots of food, like me, a teaspoon of PB is not going to be as satisfying as the equivalent in salad/tuna/chicken/etc.

It's not only about eating healthy, it's also about eating cleverly.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I'm just going to stop replying, because you get all butt hurt and offended, not wanting to admit the truth. So do whatever you want to do :) and continue as you are now :)

The truth is that you can't separate your own issues from the rest of the world and are one of those people who assumes what's true for you is what's true for everyone. And that's what I and everyone else has a problem with.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

First off, when you make assumptions about a group, anybody could get offended. Secondly, you are an idiot! How can one learn moderation if they never attempt to practice it? We can't NOT eat! What foods would you consider safe for me to eat since apparently, losing 75 lbs in a year eating things high in healthy fats, such as peanut butter and olive oil, was a bad idea for me as I don't know how to control myself?