Peanut Butter advice - Help!

Options

Replies

• Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Oh and for the record I don't struggle to stay under my cals at all.
    Its very rare that I go over.
    What I was trying to do was have something other than fruit and raw veggies for lunch (which i have been having for a while) which would fill me up until my early evening meal.
    I had read lots of positive things about peanut butter on here.

Oh and one more thing. That *kitten* about not knowing portion control. what horsecrap. I am overweight because I have PCOS. It messes around with your insulin levels, make you pile on weight and makes losing weight a lot harder than for the average person. Try googling it....
    Pffft. Can't control portions indeed.

Some people are so holier than thou that it makes me spit feathers TBH.
  • Amysgetnfit
    Amysgetnfit Posts: 231
    Options
    Peanut butter is a good source of protein- and monounsaturated (GOOD) fat , as well as a good source of fiber, magnesium and potassium.

Read/compare labels and opt for the one(s) you can find that are LOWEST in SODIUM and SUGAR.
    Generally it's the natural ones and/or organic.
    Note: Reduced fat ones are most often HIGHER in sugar/sodium (which is true of most reduced fat products)

If you find them not sweet enough, you can always sprinkle a little of your own preferred sweetener on top. I do this with stevia.

^^^^THIS^^^^ But as a self professed peanut butter addict it is very easy to consume too much & be looking at 500 calories instead of the real serving size amount!
  • Amysgetnfit
    Amysgetnfit Posts: 231
    Options
    Peanut butter is a good source of protein- and monounsaturated (GOOD) fat , as well as a good source of fiber, magnesium and potassium.

Read/compare labels and opt for the one(s) you can find that are LOWEST in SODIUM and SUGAR.
    Generally it's the natural ones and/or organic.
    Note: Reduced fat ones are most often HIGHER in sugar/sodium (which is true of most reduced fat products)

If you find them not sweet enough, you can always sprinkle a little of your own preferred sweetener on top. I do this with stevia.

^^^^THIS^^^^ But as a self professed peanut butter addict it is very easy to consume too much & be looking at 500 calories instead of the real serving size amount!
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    there is PB2, i dont know if they sell it in the UK but its 45 calories for 2 tbsp and i actually like it and i'm a peanut butter lover. BUT my all time fav kind is Skippy ALL NATURAL. as long as you dont eat too much PB you will be okay. 2 tbsp wont hurt your diet in my opinion :)

I keep hearing about PB2 --- where do you get it? I'm in the US. Does Trader Joe's have it or regular grocery stores?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to stop replying, because you get all butt hurt and offended, not wanting to admit the truth. So do whatever you want to do :) and continue as you are now :)

How can you, a complete and total stranger, pass any judgments about the truth of my weight gain or weight loss?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    there is PB2, i dont know if they sell it in the UK but its 45 calories for 2 tbsp and i actually like it and i'm a peanut butter lover. BUT my all time fav kind is Skippy ALL NATURAL. as long as you dont eat too much PB you will be okay. 2 tbsp wont hurt your diet in my opinion :)

I keep hearing about PB2 --- where do you get it? I'm in the US. Does Trader Joe's have it or regular grocery stores?

I've seen it in stores randomly, but you can get it online. Personally, I don't care for it. I had it once and it was OK, but it's not the same as real PB to me and not worth it. I think the powder would be good for sprinkling in a smoothie or on ice cream or something, but on toast or an apple or any other way, it just isn't the same.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is loaded with good fats, and gram for gram fat has more than twice the calories of protein and carbs. It is a very healthy food because of the good fat, plus the fiber, protein and other nutrients. But, you do need to eat it in moderation due to the calories.
  • flyuk
    flyuk Posts: 28
    Options
    Oh and for the record I don't struggle to stay under my cals at all.
    Its very rare that I go over.
    What I was trying to do was have something other than fruit and raw veggies for lunch (which i have been having for a while) which would fill me up until my early evening meal.
    I had read lots of positive things about peanut butter on here.

Oh and one more thing. That *kitten* about not knowing portion control. what horsecrap. I am overweight because I have PCOS. It messes around with your insulin levels, make you pile on weight and makes losing weight a lot harder than for the average person. Try googling it....
    Pffft. Can't control portions indeed.

Some people are so holier than thou that it makes me spit feathers TBH.

myprotein and bulkpowders sell the pure butters, they are much cheaper than Sainburys, Tesco, ASDA and contain nothing but the nuts. The only downside is that you need to stir them every time you use them as they have no Palm Oil as an emulsifier to keep them from separating.
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    Asda do a reduced fat smooth peanut butter, I like it on toast for brekkie.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter by the tablespoon. Literally. Usually several a day! Almond butter too.

I just started making my own. Super easy, no sugar, and VERY DELICIOUS.

1# of dry roasted peanuts. Put them in a processor. Begin processing. It'll go through several changes, you'll think you've failed because it looks too thick to ever be anything like wonderful, creamy peanut butter. Don't give up. Keep processing, and it'll reach that state of creamy deliciousness. Then just pulse until it's as smooth as you want. Store in a glass jar in the fridge.

you can do the same with almonds since you're having trouble finding that. :)

I go through at least a pint (one pound of peanuts) a week. Plus my almond butter.
  • JozefTorba
    JozefTorba Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    They do have almond butter and Holland and Barrett also try to have a look at www.goodnessdirect.co.uk When buying PB go for natural with no sugar added. You can get it Holland and Barrett either online or at the store.
  • free2live72003
    Options
    I purchase peanut flour or PB2 online, mix with water, artificial sweetner and a pinch of salt and it works for me May not be quite a smooth as Jif, but a great substitute.

I use on celery, make as dip for apples, etc.

Esp.good mixed with greek yogurt and add cut up apples, pears or bananas

Use as substitute in recipes, etc.

Since the powder eliminates the oils it is ONLY 45 cal for 2 TBSP of PB2 insteaed of the 190 for 2 TBSP of regualr peanut butter.

This is my salvation when it comes to peanut butter.
  • michaela531
    michaela531 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

I bought some yesterday at HyVee in the health food section. I haven't tried it yet, but am excited to today. :)
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I didn't really eat peanut butter whilst in weight loss because of the high calories. Now in maintenance I eat the Whole Earth one every day stirred into my porridge (tastes delicious and makes the porridge much more satiating). You can get almond/cashew butter from any Holland and Barrett and most supermarkets now in the UK...
  • flyuk
    flyuk Posts: 28
    Options
    I didn't really eat peanut butter whilst in weight loss because of the high calories. Now in maintenance I eat the Whole Earth one every day stirred into my porridge (tastes delicious and makes the porridge much more satiating). You can get almond/cashew butter from any Holland and Barrett and most supermarkets now in the UK...

In porridge... oooooh, I like this idea.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Is there a store near you where you can get fresh peanuts ground through a machine? That's your best option. I have that done at Whole Foods locally where I live
    Or, just use a food processor and grind the peanuts yourself. It takes 1 minute. That's the best option, because I have full control over the variety and the roast, rather than whatever type of peanut Whole Foods happens to dump into their machine.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Hi all
    I am always reading how some of the guys on here eat peanut butter with celery etc and claim its a great food when you are dieting etc.
    I had some sunpat crunchy peanut butter with Celery for my lunch and, yes, it was gorgeous.
    It was only after I had a massive great dollop though that I logged it on here and nearly fainted with shock at the cals lol.
    Can anyone please advise me if it has other benefits though that way out the high calorie thing?

I live in the UK and I have yet to find anywhere local to me that sells almond / cashew etc butter. Please don't recommend I eat that instead because I have looked for it but to no avail.
    Thank you all so much in advance!
    Leeanne x

IMO, if you're trying to lose weight, you pretty much have to give up peanut butter. If you really need a fix, add teaspoon to a shake, but you can't just eat it. Cashew butter is worse and less healthy. Even almond butter, which is far far healthier than peanut butter (better type of fat, etc), is still very calorie dense, so you trade a lot of calories for a mere tablespoon. I am totally hooked on almond butter, but I've had to cut it out of my morning shakes because it was just bumping the calories up too much.

The big thing is, make sure you weigh it, so you know how much you're actually getting in. If you want to keep eating it, just track it and adjust your daily calories in other ways.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

I bought some yesterday at HyVee in the health food section. I haven't tried it yet, but am excited to today. :)

What is it? How do they reduce the calories? Is it soy or something?
  • rml_16
    Options

What is it? How do they reduce the calories? Is it soy or something?

They remove all the fat and it's powdered. You can use oil or water to reconstitute it and spread it or sprinkle it on something.
  • rml_16
    Options
    IMO, if you're trying to lose weight, you pretty much have to give up peanut butter. If you really need a fix, add teaspoon to a shake, but you can't just eat it.

I guess those 36 pounds I lost while eating peanut butter every single day were imaginary?