Frame Size Wrist Calculator

Options

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Not to burst any bubbles but my wrist size when weighed 175 was 6.5inches and now its 5.5 inches at 132lbs. So I wouldn't really take that frame size business too seriously.

Basically, if you have more than a few pounds to lose then your frame is probably not as big as it says you are.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have quite a big frame, and that calculator gave me a large frame, with a GW between 130-147.
    I was aiming for 130! :D
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    The calculator is apparently unaware that some people are taller than 6'4"! My ideal weight is "undefined."
  • Astroduckula
    Options
    This for me was pretty bang on!

At 161cm tall (5'3) and a 14cm (5") wrist it gave me a small frame size - which I already knew to be the case and an ideal weight of 50 - 56 kg which is exactly what I'm aiming for I'm currently at 57 kg and want to get down to 52 kg.

Thanks for this!
  • Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    Love it! Mine was very accurate, though my personal goal weight is one pound less than they recommend.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    The calculator is apparently unaware that some people are taller than 6'4"! My ideal weight is "undefined."

It's also unaware of the fact that people can store fat in their wrists.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and have a 6.25" wrist and it says medium frame 142-156 ideal. Sounds okay to me as my goal weight is 140.

Right now I am 186 lbs with a 6.25" wrist so I'm thinking I'll easily be a 6" wrist soon which would put me at small frame on this calculator and 132 lbs. My ultimate goal is 130 so that works too.

I've been 132 before before and even at my height, I looked like I had plenty of meat on my bones so I'm pretty convinced I actually do have a small frame.

The flaw I see in this is that if you're obese, your wrists are going to be fat and it's going to falsely tell you that you have a large frame when you might not. I'm pretty sure that would have been the case with me when I was at my highest weight.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, but I don't agree with the outcome for neither my husband or myself.

My husband: 5' 8" wrist circumference: 7.5"
    Frame Size Medium
    Ideal Weight 145 lbs - 157 lbs

My husband is barrel chested and has very muscular legs. I wouldnt want to see him any less than 175lbs, lest he look sickly.

Myself:
    5'5" wrist circumference: 6"
    Frame Size Medium
    Ideal Weight 127 lbs - 141 lbs

I actually wasnt planning to go lower than 150 or at least re-assess if I reached it. I'm top-heavy (big breasted). I havent been 130lbs since like 5th grade when I started getting breasts. I was also a little shorter then but quite healthy and more proportioned. I dont want to be stick thin, and I want MUSCLES! :happy:
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have a tiny wrist...less than 6 inches. According to the wrist circumference calculator, I'm small-framed.

Then I tried this calculator:

http://nutrition.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Frame-Size-Elbow&Group=Nutrition

My elbow breadth is 2 7/8", which puts me in the large-framed category.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    http://health.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Frame-Size-Wrist

5'6
    7" wrist (boney part, not around fat)

current weigh 287 .. goal 150 (doc once said 160, so I guess this is on track)

Frame Size Large
    Ideal Weight 140 lbs - 159 lbs
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of it, but I think it's really inaccurate for me. I have tiny little wrists and monster ribs and hips. I guess I'm just different all over.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Not to burst any bubbles but my wrist size when weighed 175 was 6.5inches and now its 5.5 inches at 132lbs. So I wouldn't really take that frame size business too seriously.

Basically, if you have more than a few pounds to lose then your frame is probably not as big as it says you are.
    Your wrist changed sizes? Wow never thought of that. I think the idea is to try to measure the bone. If someone has weight in their wrists maybe try to subtract that to get your real bone size. I've never had any bulk on my wrist but everyone is different. So I guess this is a case where it might not work for everyone.
    Your S.O. has a few inches on me... I wish I was 5' 6"!! Yes... being vertically challenged has its difficult moments - and apparently some online calculators are one of them.

Curses to this cruel discriminating world! Those of us under 5'7" should start our own small country. It would be less expensive for us to live. After all, we are much more compact so we take up less space and need far fewer resources to survive. When I am around larger human beings it always shocks me how much food they need to eat to survive. Anyway, I'm sorry the calculator didn't work for you. It seems to have some flaws.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am surprised, it seems accurate for me I have a large frame (who knew) and ideal weight 140 -159

My goal is 160 and then assess it as I have been happy with myself at that weight before

Most weight height calculators give me a lot lower goal weight.

Thanks for posting :flowerforyou:
  • victoria4321
    Options

Your wrist changed sizes? Wow never thought of that. I think the idea is to try to measure the bone. If someone has weight in their wrists maybe try to subtract that to get your real bone size. I've never had any bulk on my wrist but everyone is different. So I guess this is a case where it might not work for everyone.
    Your S.O. has a few inches on me... I wish I was 5' 6"!! Yes... being vertically challenged has its difficult moments - and apparently some online calculators are one of them.

Curses to this cruel discriminating world! Those of us under 5'7" should start our own small country. It would be less expensive for us to live. After all, we are much more compact so we take up less space and need far fewer resources to survive. When I am around larger human beings it always shocks me how much food they need to eat to survive. Anyway, I'm sorry the calculator didn't work for you. It seems to have some flaws.

I did measure across the bones. My wrist stored fat on the top of my wrist I'm guessing. It felt boney when I was obese too.

Even that test where you take your middle finger and thumb and go across it. When I was bigger they didn't touch now they overlap.
  • Flaming_Reef
    Flaming_Reef Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't have much weight to lose so it should be fairly accurate... let's see!

Height: 5'7"
    Wrist: 6"

Frame Size: small
    Ideal Weight: 123-136
    My Goal Weight: 125
  • brennamurphy42
    Options
    This was really interesting. I've always known that I have small wrists, but I never would have described myself as having a "small frame." I'm 5'10", with 5.75" wrists, which gives me a small frame, so my ideal weight is between 132lbs and 145lbs. This is actually really comforting for me, since my goal weight is 140lbs and I thought that might be too low.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I have a tiny wrist...less than 6 inches. According to the wrist circumference calculator, I'm small-framed.

http://nutrition.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Frame-Size-Elbow&Group=Nutrition

Oh cool! It was accurate for me with elbows too: small.

But yeah I guess it doesn't work for everyone. I think if you are sort of consistently the same all over your body (not small wrists with big ribs or something) then it is probably the most accurate.
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Well that burst my bubble. I've always felt I have pretty small wrists for a fat person, but I guess they are 6.5" around and I have a "large" frame =/

Edit: I don't have much fat in my wrist area. I can feel my bones without pressing hard. Maybe I do have a larger frame, but it seemed like I have small wrists due to my weight.
  • Astroduckula
    Options

I did this too and it gave me a frame of large and an ideal weight of 59 - 67 kg which is nuts as I'm only 1.61m tall (5'3) and got a wrist circumference of 14 cm and I know I'm a small frame.

Make no sense :frown:
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I am definitely large framed, but I have skinny wrists and ankles. So these things don't really work for me. I was actually told by an orthopedist that I have "an abnormally large pelvis." Swell. So I allow a few extra pounds for my giant birthing hips. Ha! My target is about 160, which fits right in for a large frame even though my wrists are smaller.

Edited to add, I'm 5'7" and my wrists are 6".