Over on my protein already??

Options
THEErikaR
THEErikaR Posts: 160 Member
So... I'm -6 over on my protein already w o even including my dinner today!

Should I worry about that?? Can I consume too much protein?? Is that bad??

Replies

• sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    what have you got your ratios set to? i wish i could get even close to my protein goal - even with a whey shake!!!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    No that's not going to hurt you or make you gain wait. Are you exercising frequently? If so you may need more protein than the standard amount allotted. You can change your ratios manually.
  • dida0721
    dida0721 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I never care about being over in protein or fiber. I worry about calories (of course) and carbs, fat and sodium.
  • Sassybecky
    Sassybecky Posts: 72
    Options
    Bumping for more responses. I am always over my protein too. What are the negative side effects to this?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are healthy and disease free then going over on protein is not likely to hurt you. If you have any medical conditions, especially something like diabetes that affects your kidneys, you should not eat too much protein without talking to your doctor first. Eating a lot of protein makes your kidneys work harder, so you need to be sure they are in good working order before eating high protein.
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    No that's not going to hurt you or make you gain wait. Are you exercising frequently? If so you may need more protein than the standard amount allotted. You can change your ratios manually.

I must do this.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Aw crap, now you're going to get huge bulky muscles :/ sorry.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I shouldn`t worry about it unless you have medical issues.

I go over everyday on protein with healthy fats and have no problem losing weight.

a lot of simple carbs contain sugar and if you don`t burn it then the sugar gets stored as fat.

Protein helps build and repair muscle. Drinking plenty of water is good to.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    What are you eating, do tell! I would love to get even close to my protein goal, this is something I really struggle with.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I consume about 150g protein... protein is good for you.
  • THEErikaR
    Options
    Aw crap, now you're going to get huge bulky muscles :/ sorry.

HA! hilarious... lol
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    protein is good!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

It would be more helpful when posting a topic like this to have your diary set to public. Viewing your protein level and intake can help guide us into giving you better and more useful responses.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    My ratios are set to 40C/30F/30protein and it is closer to the workout levels recommended. Has worked very well for me too.
  • THEErikaR
    Options
    What are you eating, do tell! I would love to get even close to my protein goal, this is something I really struggle with.

Today is just 2 egg whites, 1 egg, string cheese and yogurt. Oh and also having some turkey on my sandwich for lunch!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Bumping for more responses. I am always over my protein too. What are the negative side effects to this?

This (below) is from the Harvard School of Public Health
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/questions/protein-questions/index.html#howmuch
    How much protein do I need each day?
    There is no one-size-fits-all answer to that question, and research on the topic is still emerging. The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day—that's about 58 grams for a 160 pound adult. In the U.S., adults get an average of 15 percent of their calories from protein; for a person who requires a 2,000-calorie-per-day-diet, that's about 75 grams of protein. In healthy people, increasing protein intake to 20 to 25 percent of calories can reduce the risk of heart disease, if the extra protein replaces refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, white rice, or sugary drinks. Higher protein diets can also be beneficial for weight loss, in conjunction with a reduced calorie diet, although long-term evidence of their effectiveness is wanting.

For people in good health, consuming 20 to 25 percent of calories from protein won't harm the kidneys. For people with diabetes or early-stage kidney disease, however, the American Diabetes Association recommends limiting protein intake to 0.8 to 1.0 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight (roughly 10 percent of energy intake), since this may help improve kidney function; in later stage kidney disease, sticking to the 0.8 grams per kilogram minimum is advisable. Consult a doctor or a registered dietitian for individualized protein recommendations.
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options
    Dont even look at it.. just drink lots of water..
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    This is an article from DaveyWaveyFitness.com

Protein helps build muscle - but what happens if you get too much of it?

Not getting enough protein is one of the reasons why a muscle building workout isn’t building muscle. Getting your required protein intake is crucial – but what happens if you take too much?

Protein isn’t particularly dangerous, but an over-consumption of protein may be associated with:

1.Weight gain. Excess calories from excess protein may be stored as body fat.

2.Intestinal irritation. Too much protein has been linked to constipation, diarrhea and/or excessive gas.

3.Dehydration. Experts advise drinking a half gallon of water per 100 grams of protein.

4.Seizures. Seizures have been linked to excess protein intake – but only if insufficient amounts of water are consumed.

5.Increase in liver enzymes.

6.Nutritional deficiencies. Just focusing on protein intake causes some high-protein dieters to overlook other nutrients. Ensure that your diet is balanced and nutritious.

7.Risk of heart disease. This is a bit misleading. A healthy high-protein diet is not associated with heart disease. But if you are getting all of your protein from unhealthy sources that are loaded in unhealthy fats, obviously the risk for heart disease will increase.

8.Kidney problems. Some believe that high protein and low carbohydrate diets – when done long term – can possibly cause kidney issues, but more research needs to be done.

While this list may seem alarming, it’s important to remember that many of these side effects are only associated with highly excessive protein diets coupled with unbalanced nutrition and/or dehydration. And this list pales in comparison to the side effects of protein deficiency, which includes general illness, loss of hair, loss of sleep, poor coordination, vision problems, etc.

The average person needs about .4 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Active individuals may require .6 grams. People that exercise frequently and at a high intensity – like myself – require about a gram per pound of body weight. Bodybuilders and athletes may require even more.

With protein, it’s okay to act a bit like Goldilocks. You don’t want too little or too much – but an amount that’s just right.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I never care about being over in protein or fiber. I worry about calories (of course) and carbs, fat and sodium.

Ditto!!
  • THEErikaR
    Options

It would be more helpful when posting a topic like this to have your diary set to public. Viewing your protein level and intake can help guide us into giving you better and more useful responses.

It's open now! :)