Pizza?

Options
roch1972
roch1972 Posts: 113 Member
Ok I love pizza. Not gonna lie about it. Weight Watchers says you can have a slice but how can you accurately determine the calories in one slice of pizza? I've heard/seen so many different calorie totals but I never know which to use.... Does anyone here eat a slice of pizza once and awhile? Is it ok to just give in and have it? Would love some opinions here... :)

Replies

• stephanne82
    stephanne82 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza all the time! Just in moderation...
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yep! It can be difficult to estimate calories, so I overestimate on each slice just to give myself a buffer. Although, I more often make my own at home so I can measure the ingredients.
    I use:
    1 flatout flatbread wrap (100 cal. I've also used the La Tortilla Factory low carb tortillas that are 50 cal)
    1-2 tsp plain tomato sauce with some garlic, and other seasonings to taste
    1- 1.5 oz reduced fat cheese
    2 servings black olives
    3 oz (or more) mushrooms
    1 serving pepperoni or other topping meat.

Any other standard pizza toppings would work too.

I'll put the flatbread in the oven while its heating up and for a few minutes extra to help it crisp up a bit, add toppings and bake at about 400 or so for 15-20 minutes.

Its not exactly the same as a big slice of Garlic Jims or Pagliacci's but is close enough to satisfy the craving.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Just make your own so you know what is in it! You can really make pizza at home that is just as good, and seems to be less calories.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Yep, learn to make your own. You can control every ingredient and record the cals accurately. Plus it always tastes better than the takeout pizza anyway.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pizza and have found a way to make it at home for 300ish calories. I use a 7" Smart and Delicious whole wheat flatbread (150 calories), add a small amount of sauce and cheese. You can add veggies, too. I am a vegetarian but I don't like veggies on my pizza, so I add Quorn chik'n tenders (meat alternative) pieces. Each pizza fills me up and I stay within my calorie limit. :happy:
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Making your own is definitely the way to go, but if I ever have pizza out I usually pick the worst offender to compare with. So say I eat at a local pizza joint and get a couple slices of sausage, I log it as a couple slices of sausage from pizza hut or papa johns. That's the fastest/easiest way for me.
  • roch1972
    Options
    I like the "make your own" concept I do...but when I want the pizza I'm usually at work and want to go to Wholefoods and get a slice. I really like the idea of taking the "worst offender" and using that number.
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If you want a more guilt free pizza crust you can make the one below::devil:

CAULIFLOWER PIZZA CRUST
    Ingredients:
    1 cup cooked riced cauliflower
    1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (light)
    1 beaten egg
    1 tsp dried oregano
    ½ tsp crushed garlic
    ½ tsp garlic salt
    Olive oil (optional)
    Pizza sauce, cheese, toppings
    Directions:
    To “Rice” the Cauliflower
    Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulse or you will puree it. (If you don't have a food processor, you can grate the whole head with a cheese grater). Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes (some microwaves are more powerful than others, so you may need to reduce this cooking time). There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself. Once large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.

To Make The Pizza Crust
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt, stir, transfer to cookie sheet and using your hands pat out into a 9” round: Optional brush with olive oil over top of help with browning. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. To the crust add your toppings and sauce and place under the broiler at high heat just until cheese in melted (approx. 3-4 minutes)
  • roch1972
    Options
    you lost me at "Ingredients:" :tongue:
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I totally eat pizza (had a huge slice last night!), and I log it as the closest to style in crust that I can find in the database if it's not from Papa Murphy's. Since the local awesome place is New York style, I found a place that sounded kind of right in terms of calories. Maybe you could look at the places in the database and find websites with pictures and see if you can find one that looks like yours!
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options

CAULIFLOWER PIZZA CRUST
    Ingredients:
    1 beaten egg
    1 tsp dried oregano
    ½ tsp crushed garlic
    ½ tsp garlic salt
    Olive oil (optional)
    Directions:
    Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulse or you will puree it. (If you don't have a food processor, you can grate the whole head with a cheese grater). Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes (some microwaves are more powerful than others, so you may need to reduce this cooking time). There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself. Once large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.

To Make The Pizza Crust
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt, stir, transfer to cookie sheet and using your hands pat out into a 9” round: Optional brush with olive oil over top of help with browning. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. To the crust add your toppings and sauce and place under the broiler at high heat just until cheese in melted (approx. 3-4 minutes)

Gotta try this!
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    the best part about pizza is the toppings so that is what i use only no crust ---- glass pie pan , base of tomato sauce then start adding! meat, veggies, cheese, spices any combination you can come up with. bake like a pizza... quick, easy, yummy
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pizza. But it is a diet buster for me. I have a very very hard time controlling myself and not eating an entire pizza. I try not to buy it for that reason, we eat it maybe once a month. I like the Papa Murphy's delite pizzas, I prefer thin crust anyway, and you can get nutritional info fairly easily.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Did anyone ever truly try this? Yuck.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza once or twice a month. I prefer to make it myself, my husband prefers takeout. So, sometimes it's homemade and sometimes it's not. If it's homemade I enter the ingredients and log it. If it's delivery, I usually just choose something similar from one of the chains in the MFP database because the local place we like doesn't have nutritional content posted.

ETA: when I make it at home I make a real crust and don't feel a bit guilty about it.
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    At work, I'll toast up a couple pita pockets, spoon on tomato sauce and low fat mozzarella cheese, and microwave it for a minute. Perfect portion for lunch and like 250 cals.
  • BoxerLover96
    BoxerLover96 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm like you...I don't want to make my own pizza...plus I want it to taste like good ol' pizza and not a substitute! IF I do eat pizza, I will only eat 1 or 2 slices with a large salad on the side - sometimes it just depends how many calories I have to work with and whether or not I'm going to work out. :)
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

CAULIFLOWER PIZZA CRUST
    Ingredients:
    1 beaten egg
    1 tsp dried oregano
    ½ tsp crushed garlic
    ½ tsp garlic salt
    Olive oil (optional)
    Directions:

To Make The Pizza Crust

Wife and I have tried this, meh!! It was ok, but we will not make again.

We instead buy a frozen whole wheat bread dough and use that for our pizza crust when we want to make our own. The whole family gets involved and we have fun.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    This might not be a big help but I am a huge pizza lover too. However, I didn't have any for almost 6 weeks. Ate ONE slice this past Saturday and my insides said NOPE. I was so sad :(
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I hit up my favorite local pizza joint once per month...I have a couple slices and don't worry about it. My pizza buffet days are over however...as are the once or twice per week outings to my favorite local pizza shop. Once a month is Good Livin' for me.