Eat more to weigh less....

Options

Replies

• onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Can you guys suggest meals to hit 2,200 cal/day?

Check out my diary. Might be boring and repetitive but I enjoy it and it could give you a couple ideas on something to do at least one day of the week.

Oh wow that's a lot of chicken and eggs in one sitting! I can only eat about 7 oz at one time at most hehe.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this information, How do you find out where you should be in your Marcos?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you were only on on the lower calories for that amount of time, you should not need a metabolism reset so soon. I would work out your TDEE, take a reasonble deficit from there, and eat to that level. Diet breaks for a week or so are always a good idea very couple of months or so however.

ETA: your protein and fats should be based on gram targets and not percentages. Recommended minimums are abous 0.65g and 0.35g of protein and fats per lb of total body weight.
  • onikonor
    Options
    You don't have to eat up to your BMR. Eating less than that is what will allow you to lose weight. It's impossible to lose weight when you eat your BMR or more, unless you exercise a whole lot!

I exercise 6 days a week doing high intensity interval training and some weight lifting. I burn about 350-500 per day in calories.
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I don't ever reach 1200 cals, much less eating back my calories. If I'm satisfied (full) and losing weight at a slow and steady pace, I don't feel the need to force myself to eat.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Is there any actual medical documentation on this whole "Eat more to weigh less" theory? The members should either post their information/documentation publicly or get banned from this site for promoting weight loss rubbish.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Is there any actual medical documentation on this whole "Eat more to weigh less" theory? The members should either post their information/documentation publicly or get banned from this site for promoting weight loss rubbish.

I'm not part of that group, but how is telling people to use their (TDEE - 20 or 15%) weight loss rubbish?!
  • onikonor
    Options

I am not sure if there is but there have been many success stories with people upping calories. I've been stuck at a plateau and tried upping exercise which did not work. So now I am going to try upping calories to see if that works.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    You don't have to eat up to your BMR. Eating less than that is what will allow you to lose weight. It's impossible to lose weight when you eat your BMR or more, unless you exercise a whole lot!

Wrong. You are thinking TDEE, not BMR. BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate. TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. You should eat above your BMR and below your TDEE to lose weight.
    I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but that would equal extremely slow weight loss if any. Don't take this the wrong way, but that's probably why you haven't lost much.

It doesn't seem like you understand the difference between the two . . .
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this information, How do you find out where you should be in your Marcos?

It depends on what works for you as an individual, but the standard percentages are 40c/30p/30f. Some people do better on different mixes though.

You would need to change the MFP default settings (through the custom option) to change the percentages :)
  • aubreykkkk
    aubreykkkk Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!
    It doesn't make sense. Ever see an anorexic? Ever see a morbidly obese person? Do you think the anorexic eats a lot and the morbidly obese eats little? I'm not trying to be judgmental, don't take it the wrong way. I'm neither trying to put down the obese or promote the anorexics.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

They do. If you check out their group, you can find it there. :flowerforyou:

Anyways, I didn't lose weight @ 1,200 or 1,350 which is what I tried before EM2WL. Now I eat 1,720 and i've been losing pretty steadily since then. From what I've heard, to lose weight, the number should be higher than your BMR (depending on your activity level) and lower than your maintenance. *Shrug* Then again, different things work for different people.

By the way, I'm 5'5". :) Good luck!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    As has been posted already, you are better off asking this in the Em2wl section.

Most of the threads here just get bashed by people with no idea what they are talking about.....as you can see already.

yes because a much better approach would be just to tell everyone to eat 1200 cals per day without taking into consideration their starting weight, height, body composition and expected activity levels as happens in here all day every day.

Or not
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

Not.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    THANK YOU!
    It doesn't make sense. Ever see an anorexic? Ever see a morbidly obese person? Do you think the anorexic eats a lot and the morbidly obese eats little? I'm not trying to be judgmental, don't take it the wrong way. I'm neither trying to put down the obese or promote the anorexics.

This just seems like deliberate obtuseness. Of course eating more to weigh less doesn't mean stuffing your face - it means eat more than what the average person seems to think is necessary to lose weight (e.g. 1200). Since sooo many people here place their goal at 2lb/wk even if they only have 20 pounds to lose, a lot of people are eating less than they need to for weight loss. They could be eating more and properly fueling their bodies.
  • onikonor
    Options
    As has been posted already, you are better off asking this in the Em2wl section.

Most of the threads here just get bashed by people with no idea what they are talking about.....as you can see already.

Yeah you are correct sir.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    [

They do post their documention and information publicly. Check out their board and success stories.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!
    EM2WL promotes a sort of middle-ground when it comes to dieting, nothing super extreme. It promotes eating less than your TDEE but more than your BMR, and slow, healthy weight loss over extreme low-calorie dieting. That's it. It's not some crazy "eat only celery all day!" group, or "stuff your face with as many cheeseburgers as possible!" either. Eat less than you expend, but not too much. That's it. I don't see what's so rubbish about it since that's all it is.

If your goal is not to be judgmental, it might be good if you got your information straight before... well, judging.
  • onikonor
    Options
    You are correct, that doesn't make sense. Which means some of the those numbers are off - either your BMR is not average and doesn't calcualate correctly or you are underestimating calories in or calories out. Or you could have some type of metabolic or hormonal problem that is affecting your weight loss.

If you have a calorie deficit, you should lose weight.

I am concerned about this as well. But if I am cutting 2200-1600 daily I should have seen at least a pound in a month.
    I have a hyperactive thyroid which is under control so this should not be affecting it.
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Where do you guys find out how many carbs, protein, etc to be eating? I've been going off what this website says I should eat and I eat nowhere near as many carbs/fats it says and am always way over on protein. And I find it extremely hard to eat the calories it tells me to, especially with the excercise deficit. I'm supposed to be eating 1600 today but I just can't do it. I've been eating cookies/chocolates and adding cheeses just to up my calorie intake but it seems kind of contradictory. Has anyone actually lost weight eating more than they are comfortable eating??