Eat more to weigh less....

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents. I lost 11 pounds in my first week of eating more than my BMR and less than my TDEE. Just saying'

:smokin:
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    As has been posted already, you are better off asking this in the Em2wl section.

Most of the threads here just get bashed by people with no idea what they are talking about.....as you can see already.

If this theory is getting "bashed"when discussed out in the open...there is a damn good chance that a lot of folks are recognizing SNAKE OIL and not SCIENCE! DON'T FLATTER YOURSELF...A lot of people know a lot more than YOU think that they do....To me this sounds a lot like A SORRY ripoff of the old weight watchers points system....i.e. The heavier you are when you start....The higher the points/calories you need to lose weight...but even with weight watchers...once you started losing weight your points/calories dropped. Just telling obese people that they should eat more to weigh less is like selling crack as a cure for drug addiction.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    As has been posted already, you are better off asking this in the Em2wl section.

Most of the threads here just get bashed by people with no idea what they are talking about.....as you can see already.

If this theory is getting "bashed"when discussed out in the open...there is a damn good chance that a lot of folks are recognizing SNAKE OIL and not SCIENCE! DON'T FLATTER YOURSELF...A lot of people know a lot more than YOU think that they do....To me this sounds a lot like A SORRY ripoff of the old weight watchers points system....i.e. The heavier you are when you start....The higher the points/calories you need to lose weight...but even with weight watchers...once you started losing weight your points/calories dropped. Just telling obese people that they should eat more to weigh less is like selling crack as a cure for drug addiction.

Lmao.

You could not have less of an understanding of the em2wl system if you tried.

Snake oil, weight watchers, what are you even taking about. Nobody here is selling anything. We are trying to encourage people to go and learn the basics of nutrition for themselves. As opposed to blindly following instructions.

Knowledge is power.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    EM2WL promotes a sort of middle-ground when it comes to dieting, nothing super extreme. It promotes eating less than your TDEE but more than your BMR, and slow, healthy weight loss over extreme low-calorie dieting. That's it. It's not some crazy "eat only celery all day!" group, or "stuff your face with as many cheeseburgers as possible!" either. Eat less than you expend, but not too much. That's it. I don't see what's so rubbish about it since that's all it is.

If your goal is not to be judgmental, it might be good if you got your information straight before... well, judging.

^^^ says it all really. Good post
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    I'm also a member of EM2WL — give it some time and stick with it. It might take you a little bit to get used to eating more, but your body will adjust to it and start losing again, as long as you give it enough time to right itself. I would suggest putting this thread in the actual group's message board instead of just this general one, there are people on there that will be more likely to see it and have specific help for your goals.

I agree 100%. Check out the threads on the EM2WL boards specifically it will offer far more advice and answer a lot more questions. I did TONS of reading about EM2WL and completed my reset. If it helps any since we are similar this is my story in short:

I am 5'5
    28 yrs old
    180 lbs
    I was netting MAYBE 1200 a day I cut so far before joining MFP and learning of the metabolism reset. It took me several weeks to be able to eat my reccomended 2400 cal and a long time of feeling bloated and lots of doubt and I even gained almost 5 lbs at first, but IT WORKS! I only did the reset for about 5 or 6 weeks, not the reccomended 8, but I knew I was ready because I got to the point where it was actually hard to ONLY eat 2400 calories and the 5 lbs that I had gained disappeared dispite eating twice as much. I have 2 more days to complete my first official calorie cut week following the reset, but I know based on how I feel that it is working already. I hope this helps some! Feel free to friend me!
  • photojunkie28
    Options

Lmao.

You could not have less of an understanding of the em2wl system if you tried.

Snake oil, weight watchers, what are you even taking about. Nobody here is selling anything. We are trying to encourage people to go and learn the basics of nutrition for themselves. As opposed to blindly following instructions.

Knowledge is power.

WOW...*shakes head. Some peoples kids.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Where do you guys find out how many carbs, protein, etc to be eating? I've been going off what this website says I should eat and I eat nowhere near as many carbs/fats it says and am always way over on protein. And I find it extremely hard to eat the calories it tells me to, especially with the excercise deficit. I'm supposed to be eating 1600 today but I just can't do it. I've been eating cookies/chocolates and adding cheeses just to up my calorie intake but it seems kind of contradictory. Has anyone actually lost weight eating more than they are comfortable eating??

They recommend about .8 to 1 gram of protein for lean body mass and .25 or a tad more fat per pound of weight. You can set custom percentages under your goals. I'm using 40/40/20.
  • beansprouts
    Options

I agree 100%. Check out the threads on the EM2WL boards specifically it will offer far more advice and answer a lot more questions. I did TONS of reading about EM2WL and completed my reset. If it helps any since we are similar this is my story in short:

I am 5'5
    28 yrs old
    180 lbs
    I was netting MAYBE 1200 a day I cut so far before joining MFP and learning of the metabolism reset. It took me several weeks to be able to eat my reccomended 2400 cal and a long time of feeling bloated and lots of doubt and I even gained almost 5 lbs at first, but IT WORKS! I only did the reset for about 5 or 6 weeks, not the reccomended 8, but I knew I was ready because I got to the point where it was actually hard to ONLY eat 2400 calories and the 5 lbs that I had gained disappeared dispite eating twice as much. I have 2 more days to complete my first official calorie cut week following the reset, but I know based on how I feel that it is working already. I hope this helps some! Feel free to friend me!

Okay...let me get this straight...So basically you're saying that you did a 5 or 6 week PIG OUT....after which you gained 5lbs...After a while it became hard to only eat at the higher (PIG OUT) level....and at that point you lost the 5lbs that you gained after starting your PIG OUT....And this is progress?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

WTH.jpg
  • onikonor
    Options
    I am 5'5
    28 yrs old
    180 lbs

May I ask how long you were on a calorie cut and how long your cut was before you started eating at your TDEE?
  • onikonor
    Options

I am 5'5
    28 yrs old
    180 lbs

Okay...let me get this straight...So basically you're saying that you did a 5 or 6 week PIG OUT....after which you gained 5lbs...After a while it became hard to only eat at the higher (PIG OUT) level....and at that point you lost the 5lbs that you gained after starting your PIG OUT....And this is progress?

I don't understand how maintenance level is considered pigging out. If I work a sitting job and burn 1800 calories sitting in the office, then I come home and exercise and burn another 400 doing interval training and/or weight lifting so shouldn't I eat 2,200 and technically not gain or lose anything?
  • beansprouts
    Options
    I don't understand how maintenance level is considered pigging out. If I work a sitting job and burn 1800 calories sitting in the office, then I come home and exercise and burn another 400 doing interval training and/or weight lifting so shouldn't I eat 2,200 and technically not gain or lose anything?
    Edited by onikonor on Wed 07/11/12 04:24 PM

Are you currently at your ideal weight and trying to maintain that weight or are you trying to lose weight?
  • onikonor
    Options

Are you currently at your ideal weight and trying to maintain that weight or are you trying to lose weight?

I can't decide whether I wanna go with 2,200 and weight lift to build muscle at maintenance then go back on a cut or continue with 1,800 - 1,900 cut with cardio. To answer your question I still need to lose 10 lb -15 lb eventually.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I can't decide whether I wanna go with 2,200 and weight lift to build muscle at maintenance then go back on a cut or continue with 1,800 - 1,900 cut with cardio. To answer your question I still need to lose 10 lb -15 lb eventually.

My suggestion would be to keep cutting but weight train at the same time.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Is there any actual medical documentation on this whole "Eat more to weigh less" theory? The members should either post their information/documentation publicly or get banned from this site for promoting weight loss rubbish.

I'm not part of that group, but how is telling people to use their (TDEE - 20 or 15%) weight loss rubbish?!

I think telling people they need a 'metabolism reset' and that it's accomplished by eating at their estimated maintenance for months IS rubbish. There's no endocrinologist over there and no one knows a thing about your hormones, despite playing doctor on a wide scale.

So is telling them they should be eating at the maintenance level of their goal weight to slowly 'drift' to it. Maybe if they're 100+ lbs. overweight but that's not very realistic for someone trying to drop a size for their wedding in Oct.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Is there any actual medical documentation on this whole "Eat more to weigh less" theory? The members should either post their information/documentation publicly or get banned from this site for promoting weight loss rubbish.

I'm not part of that group, but how is telling people to use their (TDEE - 20 or 15%) weight loss rubbish?!

I think telling people they need a 'metabolism reset' and that it's accomplished by eating at their estimated maintenance for months IS rubbish. There's no endocrinologist over there and no one knows a thing about your hormones, despite playing doctor on a wide scale.

So is telling them they should be eating at the maintenance level of their goal weight to slowly 'drift' to it. Maybe if they're 100+ lbs. overweight but that's not very realistic for someone trying to drop a size for their wedding in Oct.

That person didn't say anything about the whole reset idea (which I do agree seems a little unnecessary to do for eight weeks, but I haven't tried it and lots of people seems pretty successful using this method. Not having tried it or read anything about needing such a long period I cannot say anything about it.). If she meant that portion of the method, then she should have specified, but using your TDEE is how a very large segment on MFP is successful.

And as a side note to the wedding remark, if someone is here to lose weight for a specific event in a short period of time, they're likely not in a spot (at that point) that this is long term for them, so they'll probably do the typical 1200 + exercise, maybe lose, and then gain it back after their event. The "eat more to weigh less" method is obviously not what they're looking for.

Also, there seems to be something to eating more on occasion - it does something to your body to get it going again. A lot of people find success with zig-zagging calories. Some hit a plateau and eat at maintenance for one or two weeks, and then drop their calories and start losing again. I hit a six month plateau, trying everything to no avail. I finally started spiking and losing again. So once a week I have a high calorie day. My weekly deficit is the *same* as it was the last time I changed my MFP settings, but I wasn't losing until I started spiking and distributing my weekly calories differently. I don't know why it works, but a lot of people find success with eating more on occasion and then go back to losing. So, it seems silly to poo-poo an idea that so many have found success with and allows them to eat more.
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The EM2WL moderators are pretty honest about saying that if your goal is quick and specific like for a wedding, then it may not be the diet for you! If the goal is to keep it off for a lifetime, then maybe try EM2WL. Try is the optimal word- don't come down on it too hard without first trying it, Very low calorie diets do work(for a short time). In fact they have worked for me over 25 years, over and over again. Quick off and quick back on +++ more weight to boot! As to "pigging out" my TDEE is less than 300 calories more than my BMR, hardly a real pig out.
  • beansprouts
    Options
    The EM2WL moderators are pretty honest about saying that if your goal is quick and specific like for a wedding, then it may not be the diet for you! If the goal is to keep it off for a lifetime, then maybe try EM2WL. Try is the optimal word- don't come down on it too hard without first trying it, Very low calorie diets do work(for a short time). In fact they have worked for me over 25 years, over and over again. Quick off and quick back on +++ more weight to boot! As to "pigging out" my TDEE is less than 300 calories more than my BMR, hardly a real pig out.

Many of the people on MFP are morbidly obese....Do you have any idea what that means? It means that playing around with crap/dangerous/unproven theories of weight loss is not a wise course of action and it is in fact a potentially deadly option.....EM2WL has no long proven track record...It doesn't even have any medical documentation...So how can you or anyone else even claim that this is a solution that will keep the weight off for a lifetime?. Different people will swear that LOTS of things work...(rabbits feet,four leaf clovers etc. etc...) All I asked for was some documentation and thus far nobody has been able to produce any...so I stand by what I originally said ...ITS SNAKE OIL!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options

Before making judgements about the group, why don't you join and read through the info?

It's not some radical group...it's a group of people who are working on losing the weight SLOWLY. Anyone who is trying to drop a size in a certain amount of time or lost 20 lbs in a month or whatever, then it's probably not for them.

This method of weight loss is slow but easy to maintain and many people in the group and on these boards in general are having great success with it. I'm not sure why people need to hate on it.

Also, the calculators used to determine how many calories one should consume have been around for EONS. They are recommended on most bodybuilding forums (not that you have to be a bodybuilder), and the science behind the calculators can be found all over the place.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options

Many of the people on MFP are morbidly obese....Do you have any idea what that means? It means that playing around with crap/dangerous/unproven theories of weight loss is not a wise course of action and it is in fact a potentially deadly option.....EM2WL has no long proven track record...It doesn't even have any medical documentation...So how can you or anyone else even claim that this is a solution that will keep the weight off for a lifetime?. Different people will swear that LOTS of things work...(rabbits feet,four leaf clovers etc. etc...) All I asked for was some documentation and thus far nobody has been able to produce any...so I stand by what I originally said ...ITS SNAKE OIL!

Have you joined the group and read the information?

All we do is create a smaller deficit than what most people are doing with the typical 1200 calories. IT's not magic, we still eat at a deficit, it's just smaller to promote slow weight loss while preserving muscle mass (most of us are lifting heavy weights and care to preserve the muscle we are working so hard to develop).

Not sure what kind of medical information you're looking for? Are you saying it is not scientifically proven that you will lose weight on a deficit?