Healthy, SIMPLE, satisfying snacks???

Options
Erica_Rae
Erica_Rae Posts: 96 Member
I'm one of those people who like to go home from work, sit on the couch with the TV on, and EAT snacks . I usually eat cheese and crackers, chips and salsa etc... does anyone have any healthier ideas for me? Thanks!

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Cherries, Grapes, Watermelon,...............if you wanna get crazy, you could add in some carrots. ha ha
  • MandaKingie
    MandaKingie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Recently I started getting snack cravings at work. Sooo... I went to Shoprite to get some ideas and saw they had Fat Free Pretzels (shoprite brand) and Sabra hummus. This has been my recent snack food, it's not bad if you eat in moderation :)
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots & ranch - I found some Lays Brand Ranch Dip in a jar that is 60 cal for 2 tbsp.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit (watermelon, cherries, grapes, blueberries, etc)

Fresh veggies and low fat dip (Hummus maybe?)

string cheese
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    My go-to snacks are:

apple
    multigrain cracker and Laughing Cow cheese wedge
    nuts
    roasted chickpeas (good for crunchy/salty cravings!)
    air-popped popcorn
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this topic, too. I love fruit, but it doesn't satisfy me. I save it for snacking much closer to meal times because I *will* eat again in about an hour after I've had it.

Beyond the veggies and dip, any other ideas? (Been doing that every day for weeks, personally.)
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Vitatops are great...
  • KeepingUpWithKiki
    KeepingUpWithKiki Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack lately has been celery sticks with a wedge (or two) or laughing cow cheese :) Also an apple cut into wedges with a little almond butter on it. So good!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    cucumber/carrot sticks and hummus or yogurt ranch dressing
    snack size cottage cheese and fruit or canned beets
    almonds and raisins
    apple and peanut butter

I think the most important thing to remember about snacking is to portion out your snack in advance. It's so easy to over do it when you are watching TV and mindlessly dipping your hand into a box of crackers or bag of chips.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Raw veggies (carrots, celery, sugar snap peas, bell peppers, etc) dipped in greek yogurt dip! I bought an awesome jalapeno yogurt dip at Costco; there are also some pretty good ones at Kroger and Trader Joe's. Or you could make your own - just take plain greek yogurt and either mix in some powdered french onion mix or ranch mix.

Oh, and air popped popcorn is my other favorite!
  • nickiannematthews
    Options
    ricecakes with honey, peanut butter, cinnamon...
    cottage cheese with peaches
    snack on healthy cereal
    nuts, dried fruit
    fruit salad
    whole wheat crackers with cheese from time to time is fine
    healthy granola bars
    veggies with hummus
    whole wheat toast with peanut butter..

the possibilities are endless :) enjoy haha
  • vgailj
    vgailj Posts: 4
    Options
    Frozen grapes | Cottage cheese with pears and sometimes cherries | Ricotta cheese with sugar free cocoa mix

Those are okay for sweet cravings, but I'm much more interested in salty things. One thing I love is garbanzo beans (chick peas) roasted with garlic and a little bit of salt. They get crispy and brown on the outside and are still a little soft on the inside. OH! And I love getting frozen cauliflower and boiling it, then mixing it up like mashed potatoes. Tiny bit of milk, butter buds, little salt and pepper. Tastes really close to the real thing, but you have to watch how much milk you put in, it doesn't absorb it the way potatoes do.
  • Micheetah
    Micheetah Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I get home hungry and need a snack to hold me over till dinner is ready. My go to are nuts or popcorn, when Im really hungry. Usually a handful of almonds or walnuts holds me over just fine. I also do cheese and crackers at work when I need a snack. I use low cal crackers, nonfat cheese and light deli meat. I make about 8 little sandwiches and its under 200 calories and that def fills me up, I even have it as lunch sometimes with a side of fruit, usually strawberries.
  • jennbaker6114
    Options
    popcorn. good fiber and only 30 calories a cup :)
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. First...stop buying those snacks. Save them for when people are around to share. Unless of course you live with other people and can't help that they're in the house. For some healthy alternates I enjoy nuts. There are lots of different kinds of nuts and there are even different flavors so you don't get stuck eating the same thing. I also make my own granola. Find a recipe you like, make it in bulk once and you have snacks for a week. Also easy are string cheese, jello, and granola bars.
  • kaneaap
    kaneaap Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I LOVE celery & peanut butter or apples & peanut butter. You get the protein which helps fill you up & the crunch at the same time. Air-popped popcorn is good as are pistachios. For something sweet, try South Beach diet chocolate covered sunflower seeds. Enjoy!
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I juice fruits for a liquid snack - always filling and exceptionally healthy!!
  • Erica_Rae
    Erica_Rae Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas everyone!! Sadly, I am allergic to nuts. So that rules out a lot of the options. But the others sound good!! O:)
  • afalls11
    afalls11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bump..
  • halarson24
    halarson24 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love this simple black bean hummus; high fiber and protein, fat free to boot! Try with your favorite raw veggies or a small portion of your favorite whole grain crackers!

http://hollylarsonrd.blogspot.com/2012/06/decadent-dip-balsamic-black-bean-hummus.html#!/2012/06/decadent-dip-balsamic-black-bean-hummus.html

Hope this helps,

-Holly

facebook.com/hollylarsonmsrd
    http://hollylarsonrd.blogspot.com/
    @HollyLarsonRD