Pale Skin - Is it really that bad?

Options
Scandinavia
Scandinavia Posts: 291 Member
I would just like to throw this out there - I get a lot of hate for being pale. A /lot/ of people say "Oh, you look so pretty, but a tan would make you look amazing." No, it won't. I'm from Scottish and Norwegian blood, with red hair, and I like being pale. Stop telling me to tan. I wouldn't tell someone from Hispanic or African, or even 'darker' places in Europe like Italy and Greece, to bleach their skin to get paler, so why tell me to tan? I, personally, find pale skin beautiful on /me/. That doesn't mean I'm racist. It doesn't mean I don't find tanner skin ugly. I just don't think it looks the best on me.

So please, those of you who make fun of people who are paler than normal, don't tell us we look 'unhealthy' or that we should 'get some sun' or, even in some cases, that we're 'ugly'. Just because it isn't the standard of beauty in most places in the Americas and Europe, doesn't mean that we are any less attractive than you are.

Anyway, where do people of MFP fall on the spectrum? Do you think being pale truly is bad, or just different?

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'm Scottish on my mom's side, Irish on my dad's. I have very fair skin and ended up having several basal cell carcinoma spots on my face because of all the tanning I did in my 20's. Embrace your paleness and don't worry about what anyone thinks!
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Pale red heads unite!!
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I just tell them I'm proud to be a white girl! That usually stops them.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    we gingers do NOT look good with a tan. sun can kill us if we use it long enough to "tan" - and by that i mean our freckles merge. and fake-and-bake looks TERRIBLE with our hair/eyes. we gingers are meant to be a pale ppl.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you, just i have blonde hair...I get called snow white(even though she had black hair?) vampire, albino....and i serve at a restaurant and my table asked if i ever got out into the sun....I like myself pale, but i started tanning and i feel better since now i can wear the bright colors and not looks super washed out. I'm irish and scottish on my dad's side, and my mom is lebanese, czech and german. My brother and sister all ended up with dark hair and dark eyes and olivier skin, while i ended up the white sheep of my family
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    we gingers do NOT look good with a tan. sun can kill us if we use it long enough to "tan" - and by that i mean our freckles merge. and fake-and-bake looks TERRIBLE with our hair/eyes. we gingers are meant to be a pale ppl.

There are some day-walkers(red heads that can go out in the sun for more than 10 minutes) that don't have the freckles and super sensitive skin....but MOST do. And you dont' want to look like lindsay lohan orange by getting a spray tan either
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Getting called snow white by my family I totally relate...I'm fine with my pale skin - I love it. Plus I would just turn into a blob of freckle anyways.

Everyone's always like "but your hair is almost black? shouldn't you be tanner?" It's not just blondes and redheads who are pale. Everyone's BEAUTIFUL.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I am not as pale as some in my family. But its better not to tan. A tan red head is a tomato or a freckle.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    My wife is very pale. I am too and now her and I are probably equally as pale...but when we met she was white...I mean pushing paper white...She also had black hair and kinda had a snow white thing going on...I dug it...still do. Hoping that she'll dye her hair black again eventually...While some people look terrible being that pale with black hair...it really worked for her.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    After my grandfather died from malignant skin cancer both my mom and grandmother had to have parts of their faces removed due to skin cancer, I stay in the shade and gob on the sunscreen. My husband doesn't want to bother with sunscreen and my sister tans and I hate worrying about their futures.
  • Lizlicious2187
    Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school I lived in florida so i was super self-conscious about being pale but as I've gotten older I enjoy my pale skin & my freckles. Of course I've had friends joke and call me a vampire or ghost but it was on in good fun so I don't take it personally. I still feel self-conscious about it sometimes at the beach or something but I think getting older and also improving my fitness and health has helped improve my confidence a lot and not worry about it so much!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    This is what happens when my ginger sister spends a few hours outside..

Warped Tour.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3880586504505&set=a.2125798795909.2111366.1574094901&type=1&theater
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

This! I can't tan anymore even if I wanted to, I just get more freckles, and I'm not going to risk skin cancer by going out to bake, or worse, going to a tanning bed. Anyway, lots of guys like pale skin, I'm happy to say!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I'm pale. I don't tan well. I burn. I don't like the sun. Heat drains me of energy.

Why should I get a tan? Sure, I'll agree tan fat is better looking than pale fat - but that's all you got. :tongue:

I've come to like my pale skin. It reminds me of innocence, purity, royalty. Some people think pale is really pretty. Think of a china doll. They're very pale - but beautiful. In some countries, they consider those with the fairest skin to be the most desired.

I might be singing a different tune had I grown up thinner. But as a result of morbid obesity, I have avoided being 1/2 clothed in the outdoors. And as a result of avoiding the sun, my skin has remained virtually wrinkle free. I'd like to keep it that way. I want to continue to look young as I age.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I'm super pale and would never go tanning. Not sure it would work anyway -- I don't tan, I don't burn, I don't do anything but stay pale. I will admit to trying some fake tanner before after feeling pressured by my friends who told me I would be prettier that way. Nuh-uh. No good. I looked like an oompa loompa.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options

Thats because you suffer from gingervitis
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    No!

A hot girl is a hot girl.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    My dad is dark (Native American) and never wore sunscreen....he now has stage 4 melanoma. I married a pale,blonde haired, blue eyed guy and my kids mostly take after him. One of my boys is very dark (looks like my dad). My children are all beautiful...the pale ones, the dark ones. There is nothing wrong with pale!!!

message from my dad: DO NOT TAN!!!!!
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    Well I am pale...and a tad freckly....I dont go tanning and refuse to...lol I moisturize like crazy and I really think it keeps me looking young :) I think its best to go with what you have and work it ;)
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Pale and proud. I don't want to look 50 when I'm 30. I stay out of the sun when I can, but when I can't I wear protection.