Pale Skin - Is it really that bad?

Options

Replies

• WhiteCoc0
    WhiteCoc0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    1 in 5 white people get skin cancer!!!

Being healthy and white is alright with me!!! I have a brown man, and thats enough colour for me!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm also a natural redhead (although at almost 59 years old, it's naturally gray so I'm a bottle light auburn :smile: ). I love being pale because I feel it makes me unique. I'm always joking with my son that I need to stand in the shade because I might get a tan. :laugh: I do tend to tan some but if I'm out in the sun too long I'll burn pretty easily too. Just remember that when you tan from the sun or tanning booths, you're actually damaging your skin. Your are so much healthier being pale that you are being tanned. Embrace your paleness sister redhead! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Oh me love me's some fair skin. Definitely dig pale people.

I'm olive, then olive tan when in sun. The benefit of being jap/scottish. :)
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I hear you. My middle son has red hair and pale skin and just doesn't tan at all. He will burn, and then go right back to pale. But, my daughter tans like crazy, even when we put the same sunblock on both of them.
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    red heads are suppose to be pale...right? I hope so because my skin is super pale!
    ---yes I have red hair, under this brown hair
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Anyway, where do people of MFP fall on the spectrum? Do you think being pale truly is bad, or just different?

I like pale skinned girls - I am not a fan of the overly tan.
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    I think light skin is really nice. I'm of Mexican descent, so you'd think that I'd be a bit darker, but my mom has that Spanish blood in her so she is really light as well. I don't mind it. Although I live in AZ so I can't avoid getting a tan :) I have a lovely tan gold color right now and my bf says I'm glowing :) hehe. He, on the other hand has lost his sexy tan color from being inside too much. I don't mind though. Either is nice. Don't listen to those people who aren't happy with themselves so they try to change everything they can. If you are happy with yourself, then just be you. :)
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I'd rather be pale than have skin cancer. Just sayin.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I'm not a redhead, I'm brunette, but I am pale. I haven't been able to tan since I was 16. I went on meds for acne and it must have done something because before that I could tan really well. Now, I mostly burn and if I do tan, it's gone the next day. I tried self tanners, too much hassle. And I'm not about to fake 'n bake, so pale it is!
  • dunnweb
    dunnweb Posts: 49
    Options
    I prefer pale skin over tan skin. To me people associate tan skin with being "hot" and "sexy" but a soft pale skin is more beautiful to me.
  • Sugarhoneyicedtea
    Options
    Ivory skin here. You know, pale with that faint yellow hint? Yup. Medium-brown to dark-brown hair. Sure, I turn red as a beet when I exercise at all, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. When my face isn't all red from running around like a mad woman, or exercising, my skin is creamy and I love it. I'm mostly Swedish, but there's some Native American back a few generations. My mom had the beige skin tone, along with the hair and eyes. I ended up an odd little mix of everything, I guess.

Also, I've always LOVED red heads. I loved dying my hair red!

You can tell from my user name that I like being pale. :)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Meh... I tan fairly well... when I actually do... I haven't sat in the sun long enough in ages to do it though... but I believe that I have some mediterranean blood in me... along with the brown haired, blue eyed Anglo Saxon blood (be it from Germany, Sweden or Britian)... I tan even when I'm not trying to tan...

Personally though, I feel that when people start pointing out someone elses "flaws" (well what THEY see as flaws)... it's just reflective of how they feel about themselves... so if you love your "pale" skin, then by all means embrace it and own it.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have Irish colouring, Dark hair, blue eyes, pale skin. I once had a boyfriend tell me I would be hotter with a tan (he wasn't my boyfriend much longer!) but other than that most people like it, some of my friends call me the living doll but in a nice way, not a creepy one haha
  • Strawberrypop
    Strawberrypop Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I actually am from Scotland - red hair, pale skin. Used to hate it when I was wee, but really that was just cos kids could be cruel and tease me for my paleness/"ginger" hair. Now? I love my paleness! My hair is a lovely shade of auburney brown and I wouldn't change it for anything! :)

I don't suit a tan, so why would I fake it like I'm expected to when I have my legs out? IT LOOKS STUPID. ;)
  • starboardzor
    starboardzor Posts: 312
    Options
    I'm a ginger!! I've been hearing that BS for years! I tell them I can't. Because I really can't tan. My skin won't!

And spray on tan sounds like a disaster so no thanks. And anyway there's a fetish out there for pale girls with red head. We are a unique breed.
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Pale as you can get right here!!! I'm self conscious about it but as I've gotten older I've realized it's not going to change.
    Tanning = burn. Spray tan = orange. Not an option for me.

I'm so sick of hearing people comment on it. "Don't you go tanning or stay out in the sun??" Geee I never thought of that!!! I also hate hearing- "Are you feeling ok??? You look really pale!!!" I am ALWAYS really pale! Feeling just fine thanks!!!
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Nope. I love being pale and in fact I wear a very light foundation to make myself look even paler. :P

I've never been given any grief for it. I actually get lots of compliments and questions about how to get really pale. It's not difficult. Just stay out the sun, lol.
  • kansasbelle
    kansasbelle Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    <
    see how pink I am and where 50 sunscreen everyday. I am Scottish, Welsh, and French. There is not pray for dark skin in my life. I have accepted it. I was called Casper in highschool. But you know what? Do I look 41? Nope, not even close. That's cause of this pretty white skin. Learn to love it.

:bigsmile:
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I'm brown and I hate being told to use fairness creams and bleach my skin. I don't give flying f*** about my skin colour but it seems to bother a lot of people that I don't use fairness creams.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I embrace my pale skin. I call it porcelin skin by the way. I try not to tan.