Pale Skin - Is it really that bad?

Options

Replies

• GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I happen to be very proud of my ivory white skin! I have people tell me all of the time that I need a tan and I simply tell them that I gave up trying to get a tan as a teenager. Clearly...it's not in my genetics! With that being said...I'm 41 with beautiful skin and absolutely no wrinkles...tell me again why I need a tan??? :noway:
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    True story: when I was in high school, the other girls on my dance team gave me the "Savage Tan" award for being the palest, whitest girl on the team. They thought it was hilarious. Nice girls, eh? Some of them went to the beds twice a day, every day, trying to get as dark as possible. Now all of them look about 10 years older than they are from all the years they spent in the tanning bed as teenagers. We're talking texture of a python handbag bad!

My brother is a true ginger and everyone in my family is pale. I don't tan OR burn. It's like I have no melanin at all. And I will never try to force it again (I used to try, and fail, to tan in a bed every now and then when I was younger.) Skin cancer is not worth it.

Pale Pride! :D
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Hubby calls me his alabaster princess. LOL! I'm pale and I've learned to be ok with it. ;)
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    lol!!! if I'm in the sun, I tan... which means if parts of me are in the sun, they tan... soooooo, I am an oreo. lol!!! dark on the out side (my legs, arms, and face) and white on the inside! (my torso!) LOL!!!!

I think either can be healthy or not so healthy. some people lay in the sun and their skin is old looking because of damaged cells. others are not fit and the white of the skin greasy with oil (fat) is not nice either.

If you are fit and healthy, it doesn't matter if you have a tan or not.
  • dub101
    dub101 Posts: 325
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it at all.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    We're just the fairest of them all.

And even though I've always been careful, when I was little the sun protection wasn't as good as it is now, so even with care I ended up with a basal cell (the unscary kind) of cancer on my forehead.

Just enjoy having fair skin. It will be less wrinkled and less damaged as you get older and you'll age much more gracefully than if you were a sun worshiper.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I still turn tan even if I wear SPF 85 when I go outside. I'm dating a guy who's Irish and so pale he should be see through. Embrace what ya got.
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm a natural redhead, my arms looked tanned because of my freckles. In the winter I'm see thru white, so pale. I've been asked over the years if I'm sick....nope just a redhead :-)
  • almcneal
    almcneal Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've had a pretty difficult life being that I am "glow in the dark" white, and I'm a brunette. It seems that some find it acceptable if you have red hair, but everyone else is supposed to be tan. Well, I wish someone would've told that to my genetics because the only colors I ever am are red or white. I have never been one to wear shorts out in public because of being laughed at, and it didn't matter how hot it was. I would rather sweat my *kitten* off, then have people point and laugh at me. I'm just now getting to an age where I don't worry about it quite as much. I will never be completely comfortable, but as I'm nearing 40, I'm entering the "who gives a ****" phase of my life. I do get a chuckle when I see pics of people from high school who loved to tease me, and their skin looks like it's from a hand bag. I am happy to say that my skin, although it is still extremely white, it is healthy...and that's what counts.

Oh, and I have to say how funny it is that people still try to give me tips on how to tan. Really?? Do they honestly think that over the last 30+ years, I haven't tried to tan. Geez, I am pretty sure I have tried everything out there, even to the extent of lathering cooking oil on me and roasting in the sun. All that did was cook me up to a burn, which eventually peeled off like the skin of a snake. Low and behold, I was white once again.

Anyways, thanks for putting this blog out there, because it is comforting to know there are others out there like me. I do love how tan skin looks, but white is also beautiful! We are all different, and we are all wonderful!

Another bonus: NO TAN LINES!!!
  • turbofuzz77
    turbofuzz77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    pale chicks turn me on lol so id say its not bad at all!!
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am Irish too and very pale. I live in MIami and get teased all the time for not being tan. I respond that I like being snow white and have no wrinkles.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'm pale and proud of it! Even though I'm a tiny bit Mexican, I'm more irish than anything and it shows. I've never been tanning in my life and I don't really ever plan on going.. My mom and cousins have tried to get me to go but I just don't want to.. I burn too easily and it's terrible for your skin, anyway.
  • cakelady69
    Options
    I'm also pale and proud. Lost my grandfather from cancer. Not willing to chance it.
  • Radiskull
    Radiskull Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat being pale! Look at me, I am so pale that I glow in the dark.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i love being pale
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm pale and it doesn't phase me one bit. I might get a little bit of color in the summer, but I definitely don't tan. I burn, get sun poisoning, bleed, and peel. It isn't pretty. I'm glad I've never abused my skin with tanning. It's probably the main reason I look younger than almost 35.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm super pale. Everyone tells me to get a tan, too. But if I get a tan, I'll match my hair color. =/ Not to mention actually getting tan isn't good for your skin.

And quite honestly, I think dark eyes in a pale face is a good look.
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty pale, I tan really well but choose not to fry my skin....I just use a bit of fake tan :smile:
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I'm English, German and Irish. I've never gotten a tan and I never will. I only burn, there's no in between.

I love my pale skin! I have white skin, and I dye my hair black. I get lots of compliment for that.

When those people who tell you to get a tan are older and all wrinkly, you can tell them they shouldn't have went out in the sun so much!!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    <--- PALE AND PROUD!