would you count darts as cardio??

Options

Replies

• jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I think if you have to question it, you shouldn't count it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Would darts count as cardio?? Some of my friends count this as cardio and its the only form of exercise they engage in each week. What do you all think? I play too but don't see it as exercise

They count it as cardio because they think it will get them off the hook.

No, it is not cardio, it does not raise the HR, get you out of breath nor is there much movement there.

I've played darts and stand by what I have just said.

I don't know about HR, but I've sure seen some BP raised during darts.
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think if you have to question it, you shouldn't count it.

Im only posting this because I can't believe they are justifying it as their weekly exercise
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Not unless the dart is a javelin, and the board is a 100m of open field.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Full contact darts? yes.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Would darts count as cardio?? Some of my friends count this as cardio and its the only form of exercise they engage in each week. What do you all think? I play too but don't see it as exercise

Are your friends losing weight? If so, whether there is any validity to it or not, what they are doing is working for them. If they aren't, it might be a valid point of discussion in a conversation that starts with them carping about the fact that you are losing weight and they aren't.

Your diary, your rules. And widdershins likewise.
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Are your friends losing weight? If so, whether there is any validity to it or not, what they are doing is working for them. If they aren't, it might be a valid point of discussion in a conversation that starts with them carping about the fact that you are losing weight and they aren't.

Your diary, your rules. And widdershins likewise.

They don't care I just find it funny
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

They count it as cardio because they think it will get them off the hook.

No, it is not cardio, it does not raise the HR, get you out of breath nor is there much movement there.

I've played darts and stand by what I have just said.

I don't know about HR, but I've sure seen some BP raised during darts.

LOL for sure!
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    LOVE me a good game of Cricket. Play at least 2-3 times per week. That being said, I have never counted it and never will. The person in question suffers mental subterfuge. As long as they continue down that road, they won't be happy with their fitness results.
  • RobinShay
    RobinShay Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I drink more beer than the calories burned at darts. * giggle*
  • sebastiana29
    Options
    I used to obsess over calories burned - vaccuuming, sleeping, reading, laughing - I logged it all, as well as every calorie eaten. Oh, that was also when I had the worst eating habits of my life!

Now I only consider real, dedicated training to be exercise - heart rate should be in zone 3 or higher. Even a "sedentary" lifestyle assumes you do the dishes and play darts once in a while. If it's not exercise, and you're not working to increase your strength/cardiovascular capacity, don't waste your time logging it!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I used to obsess over calories burned - vaccuuming, sleeping, reading, laughing - I logged it all, as well as every calorie eaten. Oh, that was also when I had the worst eating habits of my life!

Now I only consider real, dedicated training to be exercise - heart rate should be in zone 3 or higher. Even a "sedentary" lifestyle assumes you do the dishes and play darts once in a while. If it's not exercise, and you're not working to increase your strength/cardiovascular capacity, don't waste your time logging it!

What's zone 3? You got me curious now :oD
  • Leon_Lovex3
    Options
    no
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Only if you're the target and trying not to get hit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    only if there is a fist fight lasting 30 minutes or longer afterwards....
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    No.

A broad definition of cardiovascular is is any activity that increases heart rate and respiration while using large muscle groups repetitively and rhythmically (link: http://www.livestrong.com/article/114986-definition-cardio-exercise/)
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Judging by the size of most darts players (even those of competition standard) I would say it doesn't strike me as a particularly effective form of exercise...

But perhaps it's the fact that most of them are consuming 5 pints of lager during every game that negates "the burn"... :huh:
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    No TC
  • Reini68
    Reini68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

After checking what Zone 3 might be I stumbled upon http://www.sarkproducts.com/targetzonecalculator.htm

Putting my pesonal values in my Zone 3 starts at 140 bpm. I'd be careful using things like that to judge if something is training or not. Yesterday i did an LSD-training http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_slow_distance on my bycicle ergometer, at an average heart rate of 121. I rode 2:30 hours at an average of 152 Watts and burnt 1500 kCal. Details of the ride are here http://trainingstagebuch.org/public/show/1723343

So what I wanted to say is that it very much depends on your trainingslevel and your trainingstarget. Of course I do much harder units, but there are the slow ones as well, as they serve to improve other parts of my fitness. Not counting a training that burnt 1500 kCal would be crazy, even if it is by definition on the border between zone 1 and zone 2 wouldn't it?

I agree however, that darts is not any kind of fitness training, the same goes for chess by the way. ;)