outside runners, morning or night and why?

Options
I have recently become addicted to running and was wondering do you run in the morning or night?? Morning for me is dark, but night is hot....What's your preference?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Morning. I like to get it done early in the day. I have much better control over my nutrition in the morning. I either a bagel or oatmeal before every run. I know I won't have any issues with either. I know how my bowels work in the morning and what needs to happen with them before I go out the door. I feel better the entire day if I get my run finished in the morning. I don't have to worry about work or family obligations bumping the run. It's generally cooler in the morning. There is less traffic in the morning. I can light up the dark with a headlamp, but I can't cool the heat.

That being said, I'll run any time of day if I have to, but I've been fortunate enough lately that I can run in the morning.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I have been going at night, but like you said I'm having a hard time with family and other things getting in the way, so wanted to start going in the morning, but I have to go before sunrise to have time...didn't think of wearing a light! Will have to do that. Do you run every day? How many miles if you don't mind me asking? I'm new to running, and have found I do about 3 miles a day, love the feeling!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I have been going at night, but like you said I'm having a hard time with family and other things getting in the way, so wanted to start going in the morning, but I have to go before sunrise to have time...didn't think of wearing a light! Will have to do that. Do you run every day? How many miles if you don't mind me asking? I'm new to running, and have found I do about 3 miles a day, love the feeling!!

There are a lot of great headlamps out there and they aren't prohibitively expensive.

Right now I am running 6 days a week as I am in Phase 1 of marathon training. That will increase to 7 days a week in a couple weeks, with a day off every 12 to 16 days or so. My daily mileage ranges from 6 to 10 miles with a weekly long run between 12 and 16 miles. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 to 65 miles a week during this aerobic phase.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I mix up based on what the workout consists of and general scheduling issues.

If it is dark and I'll be running where there are potential hazards, I'll wear a headlamp and something reflective.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Morning, I like to do any of my exercise as early as possible.

It gets light really early right now, and it get hot fast where I live. I've found if I leave my house around 7 am and run about an hour the weather is good and there is enough light out!
  • lkarinal
    lkarinal Posts: 107
    Options
    I run early in the mornings every other day, eat a protein bar and set ready go. I've tried running in the afternoons but is not as enjoyable as my mornings run, I believe after coming from work simply my energy and motivation are not the same, hence, I don't feel like I've accomplished something. My energy is so great, my mood is magical after my morning runs ahhh I love it!.

I run 12 miles a week, still a newbie. :smile:
  • LucyFordxo
    LucyFordxo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use to LOVE running first thing in the moring before work, around 5am! Get up with the sun. HOWEVER I've turned into a gal who NEEDS her FULL 8 hours of sleep and with two kids, getting up at 5am and having a proper night's rest for my body is hard.

Recently I've been having my workouts at the gym in the mornings, and then having my run later around 7:30-8:00pm. My dinner has had a chance at digesting for a few hours before I hit the pavement for a 30 minute tour. I have digestive issues and dinner seems to flare them up the most for me (probably because it's been my heaviest meal of the day-which I'm trying to swtich up now)
    SO when I go for a run after dinner it forces me to A) eat earlier and B) work some of that food down so I'm not rolling around in bed farting my brains out all night. hah.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I go in the morning too. It's nice out- not hot, the sun isn't out yet and it's done for the day. I also prefer running on an empty stomach.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I run at least one mile in the morning 3-4 days a week as a "wake up run". Coffee doesnt do the trick anymore. However, since I leave for work @ 6, I cant run long runs on weekday mornings, so I throw in a few evening runs. I live in AZ and its HOT HOT HOT so I usually do the evening runs starting about 15 minutes before sunset. Its dark when I finish, but I couldnt run much earlier without dying (unless its raining). Weekend runs are always in the morning before 7am. Gotta finish the run by 9 or its too hot!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Morning, it is cooler, there is usually less wind and the world is just a quieter place for running.
  • eli_802
    eli_802 Posts: 60
    Options
    Morning. I like to get it done early in the day. I have much better control over my nutrition in the morning. I either a bagel or oatmeal before every run. I know I won't have any issues with either. I know how my bowels work in the morning and what needs to happen with them before I go out the door. I feel better the entire day if I get my run finished in the morning. I don't have to worry about work or family obligations bumping the run. It's generally cooler in the morning. There is less traffic in the morning. I can light up the dark with a headlamp, but I can't cool the heat.

That being said, I'll run any time of day if I have to, but I've been fortunate enough lately that I can run in the morning.

omg yes this! perfect. exactly everything i was going to say.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have recently become addicted to running and was wondering do you run in the morning or night?? Morning for me is dark, but night is hot....What's your preference?

I love to run in the mornings, but am not always able to do so, I have to do my runs around my work.

However, if I had a choice I would definitely go for mornings, especially early (can't believe I am saying this, I used to detest running in the morning LOL) - minimum traffic, hardly anybody (IF anybody) walking around. No dodging pushchairs or dawdlers - brilliant! :oD
  • kikilareggae
    kikilareggae Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have kids and a husband that goes to work at 4am so I have to run at night. I like it because it's quiet and always cooler. I usually run at least 3 miles and I like to use GPS on my phone that works with an app called Mapmyrun.com. It shows you your time, distance, pace, and etc. Love it!
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Make sure you run all times of the day.... when feasible.. get use to the heat as well as rain and cold!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Early morning - no better way to start the day!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Up until the latest round of heat waves, I was running at least 3x a week. I was running 1.25 - 2.25 miles each day. I found it much easier to run in the evening than in the morning but I would really rather run in the morning. For some reason I find I am congested if I try to run early in the day but my breathing is much better later. Remember, when running outside to wear one of those runners ID's in case of problems.
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I really like running in the early morning, but I have to get up ~4:30am to do so (kids who get up before the sun, work, hubby who needs to get into the bathroom early to get ready for work, etc.) so I only do that on Sundays before church. Otherwise I go in the evenings. I'm finding that it's bloody HOT in the evenings now, so I'm having a hard time with that right now.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am a night person. I run better in the evening. But there is also nothing quite like an early morning run.
    I work shift work so i run whenever I can really. Sometimes thats at night, sometimes in the morning. Also, I run with others so when may depend on them, which usually means early.
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Usually in the evening, but I did my first morning run a while back and it was so peaceful! So, I think I will try and get into morning runs. It's difficult cos I always hit the snooze button lol