outside runners, morning or night and why?

Options

Replies

• lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I've found it's best for me to run early in the morning. I like to get it out of the way so I am not tempted to skip later in the day when I'm tired, and I prefer to do cardio on an empty stomach. Now that it's summer, it's just about the only option. I live in Las Vegas, and our lows now are still above 90 degrees. The coolest part of the day is the 30 minutes just after sunrise, so I'm hitting the street about 4:30 in the morning. I live in a neighborhood with great sidewalks and lots of street lights, so the dark is not an issue.

Happy running! :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Since it's summer time and I'm not subbing.. Morning.

When work starts up again in the fall, most likely evenings.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I go out just before it gets dark, around 7 or 8 at night in the summer. It's been crazy hot lately (99 degrees even after the sun goes down) but I'm just not able to convince myself to get out of bed early in the morning. I know myself too well to risk skipping my workout by setting it in the am.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    My hubs and I do a 1 mile interval run as a kind of warm up in the mornings (4 amish) as its still only 70ish outside so kinda cool. He sometimes does a 3 mile in the afternoon, but here its not real safe as its so hot and now we have some humidity going on due to monsoon season.

But if you do it in the morning you get it in no excuses, and you're awake and ready to face the day. For me thats the best way to start out the day. Especially since I'm not a coffee drinker.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have recently become addicted to running and was wondering do you run in the morning or night?? Morning for me is dark, but night is hot....What's your preference?

I'm another morning runner (all year 'round) this time of year it's pretty light out by 5:00AM, in the winter it's pitch black - for running in the dark I have a Petzl headlamp (the led ones are very bright).
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I posted this. I was having difficulty talking myself into getting up in the morning and going...kept making excuses to do it at night, then life would get in the way, and I'd be bummed because I missed my run...you guys are so motivating, I'm getting up early and starting my day with a run from now on!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    3-6 miles, outside very early in the morning. During summer I've been getting up at 5am and heading out at 5:30am. When it cools off I'll go back to 630-7am or so.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I try to go around 9AM. I like doing it when I wake up, because if I do it too late it gets too hot outside. I would love to do it at night but I tend to be busy then.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I used to be a treadmill jogger back in high school, but after taking time off exercising and coming back last year, started night jogging with some friends of mine and loved it! I do still on occasion jog on the treadmill, just to get the mileage for the day, but I would prefer jogging outdoors at night over indoors any day.
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I like the early morning for the following reasons.
    1. It's cooler
    2. Less people and cars around
    3. It's quiet
    4. There's a community among the early morning people. I see the same folks all the time.
    5. It's cooler
    6. No question on my hydration and energy level.
    7. It's a great way to start the day
    8. If I run at night, I often can't fall asleep.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning runner. I get up and get it done before my kids get up. The evenings get too busy with a family. Plus lately it's just been WAY too hot!
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Evening and that's only because I work and have to get up early just to drop my son off at camp/school. I'd love to be able to run in the morning but I just can't find the energy.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I just did an early morning run (6:15am) the other day for the first time - it was great! So much cooler (I struggle running in the heat/sun), less people, and a great way to start off the day. I'll be doing it again tomorrow!
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Morning. Gets the juices flowing for a long day at the office. Gives me energy to last throughout the day. When I come home it is all about the wife in kids. Definitely the morning.
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Night for me. I have a bad back and early in the morning is too much for my back until I get "warmed up". Plus where I live it's so super hot! So the nights work the best for me. Then again, I'm a night owl.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person, and I have a 45 min. commute to get to work, so I always run in the evenings. That said, I live somewhere where it typically cools down by 7-8 PM and I enjoy running in the evening because it serves as a way for me to "wind-down" after a long day. It's me-time, that i'm typically in need of by the time I have come home from work and had my dinner. If I tried to squeeze it in in the mornings, it would just stress me out more as I would feel pressed for time.

It's a completely individual thing - there is no right or wrong answer. It all depends on what factors you weigh most heavily and your own circumstances!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Mornings, because this right here is worth getting up that early.

IMAG0328.jpg
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a runner anymore, but I still do intervals. My answer is and always has been morning. You just feel so freaking good, plus it makes you want to make good decisions for the rest of the day...or just lie around on the couch as soon as you get the chance. I can never remember which one of those is true.
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    Depends on when you can run better. There's a slight fat-burning advantage to morning cardio, but I always find I run better at night since I have more energy. Everyone is different though.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Mornings, because this right here is worth getting up that early.

IMAG0328.jpg

Beautiful!