Did weight loss take a long time for you?

Options

Replies

• celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Next month I will be at my 1 year mark and about 50lbs so far :) Its coming off slowly just like the way it showed up!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 long years to lose those kilos, no thanks to PCOS & diabetes.

Anyway you can read my success story here that I wrote last year (I need to update this soon)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo/view/from-flab-to-fab-144566
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's honesty. This thread is helpful in knowing that not everyone loses 25 lbs per month (I wish!) and some lose .5 a lb a month but a loss is a loss and it's great and to keep going!

There are so many factors as well, diabetes, thyroid, pcos/hormonal stuff, pregnancy, birth control, you name it that affects the speed.

I truly think I am a winner this time, I don't feel as defeated as before (usual) and giving up like I normally do. I realize it is what it is and I just keep working out and eating well and I know that I look and feel better no matter how fast/slow it decides to take in coming off.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yeaaaaars, but if its any consolation I'm keeping it off and really dont see it going back on .... so the longer it takes I think the more chance there is of long term success
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    January I decided to take back control of my life and my weight. I would say slow is relative. I have been putting on a few pound here and there for the past 15 years between pregnancies not working out and just be sloppy with my eating. Since January I have lost 28 lbs (my ticker is a little different cuz I didn't change my start weight). I have stalled a few times but have tweaked my macros and now I work hard to get enough protein to balance my love for carbs. I work out twice a day. Building muscle is my newest goal and it has me reconsidering my ultimate goal weight. So have I lost weight fast...in relation to how I put it on yes, in overall time since starting to focus, no. Good luck with your weight loss. Its all about lifestyle. If it doesn't fit in your lifestyle then something has to change. Give and tie is the key.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    9 lbs in about 2.5 months. I have had all sorts of weird things happen, though I am averaging a little under my goal of 1 lb per week. For example, I once completely overate for a week, and didn't gain any weight as a result. I think because I was still eating reasonably healthy things, so I was around maintenance. Another time (i.e. now), the scale crept up 1 lb a week for two weeks even though I was under my target. Then, all of a sudden, I lost 2.4 lb overnight to reach a new low. Probably due to a combination of humidity and messed up exercise schedule.

Basically, weight loss takes a while and you'll see all sorts of weird things as its happening, but you'll get there, and, if you do it right, you'll be healthier for it.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I lost 23 pounds in 8 months (from June 2011 to February 2012)....and have stood still/gained back 5 pounds from February to now.

And actually I'm OK with that - I have gained back some weight, I have not eaten as healthily as I could/should, but I have continued working out.

I hope to get back on the wagon at some point in the future, but for now I'm measuring my success not in weight lost, but training sessions completed and progress in other areas (more push-ups, longer/more intense cycling sessions, faster 5k runs etc.)

P.S. - And then I keep telling myself, that all the kilos I want to lose crept on over a period of 8-16 years (depending on how I want to define the milestones), If I get to the weight I want to get to over a period of 2-5 years I've still shed the weight quite a lot faster than I gained it.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    even though it takes a while, you'll be happy you stuck with it months from now.

Thank you so much for saying this. That's just the motivation I needed to keep going!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Not me I pretty much kept my intake to 1600 Cal a day and got my but moving ran then ran some more then ran even more and stayed very active at work. Lost about 80lbs in 3-4 months.
  • sarahbethrn18
    sarahbethrn18 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Not for me. 2.5 months and im down 47lbs! :-)

Dang girl! Way to go!
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose no more than one pound per week and I am coming close to that. I have really changed my eating habits and am doing a lot of exercise to achieve this. I have always lost weight very slowly and in the past I have given up and reverted to my old ways. I have been faithful to this way of life for 6 months now and plan to do it for the rest of my life in order to maintain once I have reached my goal. My goal is "64 by 64". My 64th birthday is a year from September and at the rate I am going I think I will get there. The weight went on slowly and it will go away slowly, too. I want to have it stay off and also want to avoid having loser skin than I already have.
    Good luck on your journey. I am convinced that 1 pound a week is a healthy, do-able way to go.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Mine seems like it's coming off slowly, but I set my goals to lose 1/2 pound a week. I think I'm losing inches a lot faster than pounds, which is fine with me! I can feel how loose my clothes fit, and it's wonderful! In addition to watching how much I eat, I really pay attention to WHAT I eat - staying away from fast food, alcohol (mostly), meats, and processed foods. I'm also exercising more, so building muscle mass, which will make the scale look like nothing is happening. Overall, though, I feel so much better. I have more energy, I am enjoying workouts, I like how I feel eating more cleanly. Not all victories on scale numbers, so remember to celebrate those NSV's (non-scale victories) even more! :drinker:
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    It's taken me 3 years to lose 54lbs. 2 years on my own, 1 with MFP. Part of the problem was hypothyroidism, which I now have under control with medication. It really is a lifestyle change. Develop healthy habits and you'll get there.

Sept 2008: 220lb

Sept2008crop.jpg

June 2012: 161lb

BranJune2012.jpg

You look great! Like a very healthy athlete!
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    So so sad. In such a high spirited environment always a negative Nancy to TRY to rain on someone's parade. I want to stoop down to your level but...you're not worth it.
    I consume 1200 calories a day. Breastfeed. And exercise 6 times a week faithfully. HARD work and dedication. Once again thanks for your negativity. I would expect better from someone as aged as you. :-)

Amen! Jealousy is an ugly ugly thing. Keep up the good work mama :)
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    The time it takes to pile on is usually the time it takes to come back off.

I think it's a bit pointless comparing the time it took people to lose x-amount with very different starting weights.

If you weigh 250+lb to startb with it's ok to lose 40lb in 2 months...
    However, If you only weigh 160lb to start with you most certainly won't be losing 40lb in 4 months.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It's taken me about 4 years to lose almost 50 pounds, due in part to a thyroid condition. I have Graves Disease and had a hard time getting regulated on the meds. Also I stopped and restarted several times. I never gained all the weight back, but I would get lax, put on 5 or 10 pounds and then get back with the program. But finally I've gone from a size 16 + to a size 6. I feel great, and my hubby has joined me. So I know we can really make this a lifestyle together. I'm living proof that if you keep at it, change will eventually come. :happy:

Best of luck to you!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I've been obese or morbidly obese my entire adult life with a few short exceptions where I've been merely overweight.

My weight loss journey in earnest started at 280 about ten years ago. I had, of course, avoided going to the doctor for 15 years because I could not stand the constant nattering about how I was fat. In fact, I had a doctor eject me from his office telling me I was wasting his time every year doing the same tests with the same results, and to get the hell out of his office until I lost 60 pounds because he was sick of having fat, stupid, lazy patients who died on him because they wouldn't help themselves.

After a long time with no contact with the medical profession in general, I was denied a medical exam for the pilot's license I was starting to train for, due to blood pressure. Doc said lose the tubby, maybe the blood pressure would come down with it.

So I decided to lose weight through the typical impatient method of eating very little and exercising very much. Got down to 230 after a solid year of sweat and many tears before giving up because I could not maintain eating like a rabbit and the absolute and utter pain of unfed workouts any longer. Anyone who knows how the MFP method works and why can predict the outcome there. Yup, gained most of it back as soon as I gave up in frustration. Still, managed to keep it to 260. That's 20 pounds. In a long, painful, frustrating year that nearly cost me my job and marriage I was so miserable (and miserable to be around).

Joined a weight loss competition at work, using the same method. Lost ten pounds in a month. Kept 5 of it off for another month. Gained it back. Kinda gave up after that. Kept physically active, but ate what I wanted and kept the weight around 260 or so. Kinda halfheartedly dieted and got that down to 230 over a few years.

Finally, about 5 years ago I took up bicycling and discovered that I could eat anything I damned well pleased as long as I cycled back and forth to work (30 mile round trip with lots of steep climbs). Got down to 210 and felt great, decided I was never going to gain weight again!

2 years later, I was not hitting the gym like I should and weighed 230.

This year, I'm getting seriously back into bicycling, and watching my calories. Currently plateaued at 206, 6 pounds from being in a "normal" BMI for the very first time since I was 12 years old.

So, yeah, you could say it's taken a long time. I've wasted what should have been the best years of my life being fat.
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am averaging about a pound per week. If I weighed myself daily it would look like a whole bunch of zigzags but a general downward trend.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    took me a year to lose 104 lbs
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    even though it takes a while, you'll be happy you stuck with it months from now.

Thank you so much for saying this. That's just the motivation I needed to keep going!
    glad i could help! i've lost weight and gained it back more times than I can count, so i'm purposely trying to do it slow this time so i can actually keep it off. i think it's the only way for me!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!