Tracking 1st 30 days on DNA-customized supplement

Options
I know there is controversy on whether to take a supplement or no supplement, including vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants. And then within that controversy there is whether DNA-customized supplements have any value. To me this is an interesting question. I am trying DNA-customized supplement (recommended by my sister-in-law) and just received my first customized batch yesterday. Before this I was taking the company's general supplement.

So my question is, does anyone have interest to see how I feel during the furst 30 days of trying it? I am not trying to sell it, although I can pass on info if someone wants, but I am curious to see if it helps me on several points ...

will I be less hungry since I am getting more nutrition in supplements

will I sleep better (which some claim happens and I have trouble sleeping)

will I have more energy (tougher to determine now as I am getting better from broncitis and can't exercise again yet) but once I can, can test that against an average of 30 lengths in pool swimming prior

will it make a difference to weight loss (since I have experienced every diet and yo-yo;d forever)

will it make a difference to intestinal digestion issues (replacing Align with these supplements)

So, if anyone has interest, please let me know. This is not intended to be a "let's bash anyone" topic, as that does not help me with weight loss and I bring this up for genuine interest in the area of DNA-customized supplements.

Is anyone else trying them? They are expensive, I am paying $90 a month for mine, but I was already paying for supplements and Align (probiotic) which this replaces as it's a prebiotic also. These supplements are 5 pills once at breakfast and then again at dinner.

So far I started with dinner last night and when I woke up in the middle of the night I was not hungry, now I usually am hungry. I drank a decaf ice coffee instead of nibbling, so that was good.

Today I added the supplement to my breakfast shake and am now just getting ready to eat lunch, so I am not as hungry today (which is odd as I am on prednisone for the broncitis).

ok ... look forward to kind thoughts.

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Just interested, how did you provide your DNA for them? Mouth swab? Hair sample?

$90 a month isn't very expensive for a wide range multivitamin, imo. My family takes one that is between $70 - $100 a month.
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    I would like to hear how this goes for you as I don't take any supplements at all.
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    mouth swab was the method of giving DNA. I was tested for 12 different genes that they are able to attribute to health and determine if you have one or two variants (from parents) of gene or the so to speak normal gene. Based on that they vary the supplement (supposedly based on scientific studies conducted by universities, etc).

To me it was interesting to read the results.

Is DNA from hair sample a better DNA test? I don't know about this, I am just learning about the topic.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    DNA from a mouth swab is generally going to be of better quality as it is contained in living skin cells from inside the cheek, whereas the hair cells outside of the head are no longer living, much like the outermost layer of skin cells. However, based on the fact that you probably don't have any dry ice lying around, even if you shipped overnight the cells contained in your saliva would be dead upon arrival. That's not to say they couldn't still use them, but DNA degrades quickly at room temp compared to very cold conditions. When I genotype I actually remove the hair from the sample and use the leftover liquid.

Supplements can be helpful but keep in mind that you don't express every gene...for instance, I have an allele for auburn hair and hazel eyes, but I express dark hair and almost black irises. So just because you have these genes in your genotype doesn't mean you'll express them in your phenotype. $90/month is a big investment, IMO.
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    You bring up an interesting question, of whether you express it in your genotype ... I don't know. But I do know that if there is at least one or two variants of the gene then perhaps I do. I did find it interesting that the areas where I seemed to need support and did not did seem to track with what I have been seeing in my health over the last 48 years, etc,

Still, this is very new for me. Do you know anything about specific genes if I listed the SNPs they test for? Are you up on the research regarding these and how nutrition can effect it all? If so, I am interested songbyrdsweet !!

and thanks for your post.

I did not put the sample on dry ice, so am sure some of it was dead when it arrived.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    You bring up an interesting question, of whether you express it in your genotype ... I don't know. But I do know that if there is at least one or two variants of the gene then perhaps I do. I did find it interesting that the areas where I seemed to need support and did not did seem to track with what I have been seeing in my health over the last 48 years, etc,

Still, this is very new for me. Do you know anything about specific genes if I listed the SNPs they test for? Are you up on the research regarding these and how nutrition can effect it all? If so, I am interested songbyrdsweet !!

and thanks for your post.

I did not put the sample on dry ice, so am sure some of it was dead when it arrived.

Actually I was just watching NOVA the other day and they had a special on personal genotyping...one man had an '80% chance of bladness'....and had a luxurious mullet. :laugh: That's an example of having a gene associated with baldness that is not being expressed (or is just incorrectly assigned). On top of that, the human genome is IMMENSELY complex....like, universe-complex. So things like these are in their infancy, which is why they're so controversial. I genotype mice, and only deal with a few human genes linked to inflammation, which is an underlying cause of diabetes and atherosclerosis. Feel free to put up the list, and I actually think it would be interesting. My research focuses on the effect of diet in the metabolism of skeletal muscle and I have also worked in nutritional immunology.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    and had a luxurious mullet. :laugh: .

:laugh: NEVER heard those two words used in conjunction! :laugh:
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    [ Feel free to put up the list, and I actually think it would be interesting. My research focuses on the effect of diet in the metabolism of skeletal muscle and I have also worked in nutritional immunology.
    [/quote]

SNP: VDR (Vitamin D Receptor)
    SNP: EPHX (Microsomal epoxide hydrolase)
    SNP: NQo1 (coenzyme Q10 reducatase)
    SNP: SOD2 (Mangenese Superoxide Dismutase)
    SNP: GPX1 (glutathione peroxidase 1)
    SNP: MMP-1 (Matrix metalloproteinase)
    SNP: MTRR (methionine synthase reducatase)
    SNP: MTHFR (Methylene tetrahydrofolate reducatase)
    SNP: TNF-ALPHA (tumor necrosis factor-A)
    SNP: PON-1 (paraoxonase 1)
    SNP: CYP1B2 (aldoteronesynthase)
    SNP: APOB (apolipoprotein B)

That is a mouthfull. The company that does the research and manufacturers the supplements if Genewize. I ordered from a relative who is an affiliate (http://www.lifemapnutrition.com/dnavitaskin)
    The site is salesy but there is interesting information under FREE REPORTs and also NUTRITION section.

Have you heard of them? Since you are in the field, are they reputable. I understand they are publically traded and have been around doing DNA-related research and such for over 15 years. Thanks, I'd value your input.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Not to toss out an advertisement, but just to bring it up for the both of you nutrition buffs.... Look at Reliv. It's a food supplement nutritional powder. That is what my family takes.
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    thanks, will research Reliv.

I notice that the postings go up in West Coast time, so that makes it even more interesting to me that I wasn't hungry before I ate lunch (which was at 2pm east coast time ....)

So far, ate lunch but am still not hungry.

do you find you have less hunger on Reliv? than no supplement, or other supplements? is it vegan, is it whole food? I am just learning about categories. I was pleased to learn about ORAC values and that the supplement I am trying is like having 8 or so fruit and veggies per day in antioxidants and ORAC values, etc. Still learning what that all means.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    [ Feel free to put up the list, and I actually think it would be interesting. My research focuses on the effect of diet in the metabolism of skeletal muscle and I have also worked in nutritional immunology.

SNP: VDR (Vitamin D Receptor)
    SNP: EPHX (Microsomal epoxide hydrolase)
    SNP: NQo1 (coenzyme Q10 reducatase)
    SNP: SOD2 (Mangenese Superoxide Dismutase)
    SNP: GPX1 (glutathione peroxidase 1)
    SNP: MMP-1 (Matrix metalloproteinase)
    SNP: MTRR (methionine synthase reducatase)
    SNP: MTHFR (Methylene tetrahydrofolate reducatase)
    SNP: TNF-ALPHA (tumor necrosis factor-A)
    SNP: PON-1 (paraoxonase 1)
    SNP: CYP1B2 (aldoteronesynthase)
    SNP: APOB (apolipoprotein B)

That is a mouthfull. The company that does the research and manufacturers the supplements if Genewize. I ordered from a relative who is an affiliate (http://www.lifemapnutrition.com/dnavitaskin)
    The site is salesy but there is interesting information under FREE REPORTs and also NUTRITION section.

Have you heard of them? Since you are in the field, are they reputable. I understand they are publically traded and have been around doing DNA-related research and such for over 15 years. Thanks, I'd value your input.

Okay, I'm familiar with NQo10 and SOD2 (which we call by a different name in my lab) and very familiar with TNF-a. Are they testing the amplitude of expression, or just whether you're expressing it? These aren't special genes or anything, and just having them in your genome doesn't mean much. There are different ways to measure gene expression. With DNA, you can only say whether a gene is 'on' or 'off'. You need RNA, which helps make proteins, to determine whether you're expressing a gene a lot or a little bit. With these genes, just expressing them isn't always a problem, while under or overexpression can be bad (or good). SOD2 and NQo10 are related to mitochondrial function, while TNF-a is related to inflammation. But these aren't things that you'd be unique in expressing, which is why it's more important to know to what level they're being expressed.
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    excellent questions, let me first tell you what they say in their interpretation, then tomorrow I will check their website for more info on the DNA testing specific to your question.

If the result was Optimum Genetic Function they said no disadvantaged gene SNP in this nutritional health area (homozygous negative) predicts you do not have the variant SNP and that the gene is functioning optimally to product its specific enzyme, hormone, cytokine or structural protein. Apparently they are testing if either chronosome carries the SNP. (they give you regular nutiritional supplement in this case)

If the result showed one disadvantaged gene SNP from one of parents ... it meant heterozygous positive ... one chromosome carries the SNP. They say that indicates that you have one variant SNP and that the protein molecule expressing a specific enzyme, hormone, cytokin or structural protein is functioning less than optimally. (they add support to the supplement formula to address this)

If the test rest showed two disadvantaged gene SNP's from both parents ,,, homozygonous positive ... two chromozones carries the SNP. It means two variant SNP and that protein molecule expressing a specific enyzme, hormone, cytokine or structural protein is functioning minimally. (they add maximum support to the supplement to address this)
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    Hi songbyrdsweet ... This is how they say they do the testing ... how does this rank with your knowledge of this area? Everything below is quoted from their literature from their website.

What are the details of the SNP analysis process?
    1. A After receiving the swabs, GeneLink’s lab extracts the DNA. (All samples are bar coded for confidentiality and control).
    2. Next, the lab amplifies the region of the DNA containing the SNP (single nucleotide polymorphism) using what is called a PCR (polymerase chain reaction).
    3. T The SNP is measured by a single nucleotide base extensions method called SNP-IT™ Technology.
    4. T The results of these SNP measurements are translated by GeneLink’s computers and developed in to a confidential report called a Nutragenetic Profile™.
    6. How accurate is this testing technology?

There are several types of methods to determine DNA polymorphisms (SNPs). GeneLink utilizes the Single Base Chain Extension (SBCE) assay which is the most accurate method available to detect single nucleotide polymorphisms. The SBCE assay identifies the (SNP) directly on the DNA.
    The profile accuracy is nearly 100%. The assay is performed robotically, which virtually eliminates human error in sample manipulation. In rare instances, when a particular SNP area of a profile ‘does not read’, it is repeated. All repeats thus far have been successful.
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    Today is Wednesday and I have completed 1-1/2 days on DNA-customized supplements ...

so far I am learning a lot from my friends on myfitnesspal ... thank you

I was not particularly hungry yesterday, a change for me. too soon to know if that can be attributed to the supplements, but a surprise still because I am on prednisone which makes me hungrier. Today is my last day on prednisone, I see the allergist Friday so hopefully I will stay off it. And then soon I can begin exercising again and will judge my energy level.

I can say I did not have any cravings yesterday, and that also is a surprise. I have wondered if cravings were related to my body not getting the nutrients it needed. Perhaps I am getting more of the nutrients I need with these supplements.

I will see if I am hungry today ... I did wake up last night (coughing) and was not hungry, no snack, but did have a decaf iced coffee.

Off now to make breakfast, take 5 supplement pills and start my day (a little later than usual)

Everyone have a wonderful day! If you are taking DNA-customized supplements, please tell me how you are doing, if you feel a change. If you are on good supplements, tell me, does it reduce your cravings and hunger in general?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Hi songbyrdsweet ... This is how they say they do the testing ... how does this rank with your knowledge of this area? Everything below is quoted from their literature from their website.

What are the details of the SNP analysis process?
    1. A After receiving the swabs, GeneLink’s lab extracts the DNA. (All samples are bar coded for confidentiality and control).
    2. Next, the lab amplifies the region of the DNA containing the SNP (single nucleotide polymorphism) using what is called a PCR (polymerase chain reaction).
    3. T The SNP is measured by a single nucleotide base extensions method called SNP-IT™ Technology.
    4. T The results of these SNP measurements are translated by GeneLink’s computers and developed in to a confidential report called a Nutragenetic Profile™.
    6. How accurate is this testing technology?

There are several types of methods to determine DNA polymorphisms (SNPs). GeneLink utilizes the Single Base Chain Extension (SBCE) assay which is the most accurate method available to detect single nucleotide polymorphisms. The SBCE assay identifies the (SNP) directly on the DNA.
    The profile accuracy is nearly 100%. The assay is performed robotically, which virtually eliminates human error in sample manipulation. In rare instances, when a particular SNP area of a profile ‘does not read’, it is repeated. All repeats thus far have been successful.

Well if they're just doing regular PCR, there's no way to quantify the amount of gene expression. So you, like everyone else, are expressing these genes. In a PCR you can amplify a region of DNA so you get more of exactly the same thing so that your result is readable on a gel. While it might be accurate, it's not really relevant. Basically they add some things to your DNA that tell the mRNA where to stop and start in producing a protein from a gene, then heat and cool the mixture in cycles so it keeps replicating that gene. With Real-Time PCR, you measure the amount of mRNA correlated to a specific gene of interest; the more RNA, the more the gene is being expressed (not just on and off like DNA).

I'm not saying that a good multivitamin is a useless thing...on the contrary, it's really important especially if you're in a caloric deficit. However, I think it's fairly unreasonable to spend $90 a month on a multivitamin that's 'DNA specific' when the genes they are identifying aren't YOU specific. I'm glad you feel better though!
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    So does this mean I may have the variant of a gene but can't tell if this variant is effecting me without further DNA testing? Or does it mean everyone has this variant ... it is confusing to me. I think I feel more energy today, but can't tell if that is because it is a good quality supplement, more nutrition or what.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    So does this mean I may have the variant of a gene but can't tell if this variant is effecting me without further DNA testing? Or does it mean everyone has this variant ... it is confusing to me. I think I feel more energy today, but can't tell if that is because it is a good quality supplement, more nutrition or what.

They would need RNA from you instead of DNA to measure how much you're expressing these genes. That's what would notify you of a problem (like systemic inflammation, leaky mitochondria, and other phenotypic results of expressing the gene that are underlying causes of metabolic diseases). Like I said a multivitamin is important when you're cutting calories, but to me it sounds like they're overcharging you and making these vitamins seem more personal than they really are. Diet does affect gene expression, so you can do things like reduce inflammation with fish oil, and control insulin sensitivity by keeping blood sugar levels low, but IMO it's not worth $90 when you can do the same thing with store-bought supplements. :smile:
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    I am getting a name of someone at the company to call to ask about this further. I will let you know what I learn. Your comments are above my head but very interesting.

I do think I have more energy now, but again, can't be sure if it's the supplements or I am feeling better from being sick. When I am exercising I think that is the best judge because I was pretty stable at being about to do 30 to 35 lengths in the pool, so improvement could be associated with supplements.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    thanks, will research Reliv.

I notice that the postings go up in West Coast time, so that makes it even more interesting to me that I wasn't hungry before I ate lunch (which was at 2pm east coast time ....)

So far, ate lunch but am still not hungry.

do you find you have less hunger on Reliv? than no supplement, or other supplements? is it vegan, is it whole food? I am just learning about categories. I was pleased to learn about ORAC values and that the supplement I am trying is like having 8 or so fruit and veggies per day in antioxidants and ORAC values, etc. Still learning what that all means.

I know very little about the scientific nature of it. It's soy based, considered a food, manufactured outside of St Louis, facilities checked out by FDA (maybe voluntarily, I dunno). It's billed as the perfect blend of vitamins in one powdered form. They have the classic (base) and then other additional products you can add to boost levels of fiber, stuff for arthritis, other stuffffff....

I'm sorry, I'm just not into nutritional supplements so when my mother starts talking to me about it, I tend to zone out! :laugh: I truly believe it works wonders for a lot of people, helping to increase their nutrition and allowing their bodies to heal (I could tell you amazing stories from the short time I took it), but I hate listening to sales pitches for ANY product.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I am getting a name of someone at the company to call to ask about this further. I will let you know what I learn. Your comments are above my head but very interesting.

I do think I have more energy now, but again, can't be sure if it's the supplements or I am feeling better from being sick. When I am exercising I think that is the best judge because I was pretty stable at being about to do 30 to 35 lengths in the pool, so improvement could be associated with supplements.

Well the improvement can just be improvement. You won't stagnate in your progress unless you're undertraining or severely overtraining. You might try a regular multivitamin next month, then no vitamins after that, and compare that way. Then you'll have something of a 'control' to compare the two vitamins against.

And I'm looking forward to hearing what they say! :smile: