Still want some soda???

Options

Replies

• SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but I used to work in a fairly busy fast food restaurant and it would take us over a month to get through that stack. Anyway, everything in moderation, right? :)

These aren't the flavored syrups that get combined with carbonated water to form your soda. These are the sweeteners that will be sweetening all sodas for the entire restaurant with a new style of machine. These are straight up high fructose corn syrup.

I got my information from the ordering guide that Coke sent with the Freestyle as I was a manager in a restaurant that is installing the system.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me. If you really wanted to turn me off you'd have bathed a chihuahua in the machine's reservoir. Mind you, I once got a green egg from McDonalds. Was so irritated that it was on the sausage muffin rather than the bacon else I'd have spent the day telling everyone about my green eggs and ham for breakfast.

Yum, now I want a large Coke and a sausage and egg muffin. Breakfast of champions!

LMAO... sorry this made me laugh. :D
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    This does not disgust me in the least. And I took a quick nosy peak at your diary and I'm really surprised it disgusts you?

You saw a lot of HFCS and Aspartame in my diary? Please enlighten me?
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but I used to work in a fairly busy fast food restaurant and it would take us over a month to get through that stack. Anyway, everything in moderation, right? :)

These aren't the flavored syrups that get combined with carbonated water to form your soda. These are the sweeteners that will be sweetening all sodas for the entire restaurant with a new style of machine. These are straight up high fructose corn syrup.

I got my information from the ordering guide that Coke sent with the Freestyle as I was a manager in a restaurant that is installing the system.

I don't get what's so bad about it. Either the evil hfcs is in the premixed syrup already or like the cheese it stands alone and is mixed with carbonated water and delicious chemicals and flavourings. Or the chemicals and flavourings go first. Or the water goes first. Either way it's just a soft drink.
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    OMG! There is sweetener in soda???

Seriously. Soda is not the devil. Too much soda is.

Oh, you're quite right! I will occasionally have some Pepsi. I don't ban anything from my diet...

But when you work in fast food and you see the same customers come in every day and get a vat of soda (42 oz is a vat of soda) it kinda disgusts me.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    This does not disgust me in the least. And I took a quick nosy peak at your diary and I'm really surprised it disgusts you?

I think you should check into ingredients in things like Smart Ones, creamers, etc. It just perplexes me when people seem so disgusted by soda but not the corn syrup in those things. I just don't understand it. And I eat my fair share of processed food so I'm not trying to be a hypocrite but I just can't understand the vendetta against soda vs other processed crap. :wink:
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options

I don't get what's so bad about it. Either the evil hfcs is in the premixed syrup already or like the cheese it stands alone and is mixed with carbonated water and delicious chemicals and flavourings. Or the chemicals and flavourings go first. Or the water goes first. Either way it's just a soft drink.

It was just a shock to my system and a wake up call... I never realized just what a large percentage of soda was HFCS.
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options

I think you should check into ingredients in things like Smart Ones, creamers, etc. It just perplexes me when people seem so disgusted by soda but not the corn syrup in those things. I just don't understand it. And I eat my fair share of processed food so I'm not trying to be a hypocrite but I just can't understand the vendetta against soda vs other processed crap. :wink:

It isn't a vendetta. It just simply woke me up. I do check labels and ingredients. The creamer is sweetened with Cane sugar and the Smart Ones were an impulse buy that yes, do have HFCS. I'm not saying I'm perfect but I eat minimally processed and thus mostly stay away from HFCS.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Ah, the McDonalds days...

What always grossed me out was all the GREASE. It would coat the freaking floor and I would always reek of it when I got home...

Unfortunately, I still enjoy the rare McDonalds burger.v:blushing:
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    Ah, the McDonalds days...

What always grossed me out was all the GREASE. It would coat the freaking floor and I would always reek of it when I got home...

Unfortunately, I still enjoy the rare McDonalds burger.v:blushing:

I'm so happy to do be done with fast food and you're just reminding me why... Hopefully random breakouts from working 10 hour shifts in all that grease will be done with too!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Oh, and to the OP...I will definitely start checking ingredients lists for HFCS. Too be honest, I know it's bad for you but never really checked for it.
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    Good post. I don't drink soda at all - NONE. Soda in any form is not what your body needs!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    that's why i don't drink anything diet.. i saw on the dr's yesterday about diet soda and ICK..... glad i have never gotten into that addiction. I will however drink a regular soda but it's in moderation....

AMEN, sista! Preach it!

I wouldn't touch that shiite with a ten-foot pole..............but, to each his/her own :wink: :wink:

Oh, and we call it POP in Northern Minnesota :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    Scary to think how many soft drinks I've had in my life. Probably way more than what's on that pallet. Makes me glad I gave them up for New Years this year. Seven months later and I'm still not craving them!

Great accomplishment that's a great resolution!
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    that's why i don't drink anything diet.. i saw on the dr's yesterday about diet soda and ICK..... glad i have never gotten into that addiction. I will however drink a regular soda but it's in moderation....

AMEN, sista! Preach it!

I wouldn't touch that shiite with a ten-foot pole..............but, to each his/her own :wink: :wink:

Oh, and we call it POP in Northern Minnesota :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I'm originally from Michigan but have been in Maryland for the last 2 years. I got a lot of teasing for calling it pop and eventually forced myself to say soda, lol! Oh and suckers are suckers... not lollipops, they can't get me to change that habit!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

It isn't a vendetta. It just simply woke me up. I do check labels and ingredients. The creamer is sweetened with Cane sugar and the Smart Ones were an impulse buy that yes, do have HFCS. I'm not saying I'm perfect but I eat minimally processed and thus mostly stay away from HFCS.

yea I try to keep the junk to a minimum too but i do have a soda everyday and usually some junko crackers. lol
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    But hfcs is just sugar with a different makeup and a bad rep. Personally I try to stay away from any foods made with sugar because, for the most part, they're processed and I can't justify the cost (here in Australia it's far more expensive to eat processed food than fresh).

I'd never advocate eating McCrap more than once a week or so and I certainly can't understand guzzling litres of soft drink daily, but the occasional Coke, as long as it fits into your calories, isn't going to see your insides melting into a big pile of pink goo. By all means, avoid hfcs and sugar and honey, and concentrated fruit juice and brown rice syrup and all the sugar alcohols and agave syrup and by god there are loads more but buggered if I can think of all the names we have for what is essentially sugar, but there's nothing wrong with including a small amount of the evil stuff in your diet.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I'll have a diet soda. OH NO! All full of poison. I'm dead!
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    But hfcs is just sugar with a different makeup and a bad rep. Personally I try to stay away from any foods made with sugar because, for the most part, they're processed and I can't justify the cost (here in Australia it's far more expensive to eat processed food than fresh).

I'd never advocate eating McCrap more than once a week or so and I certainly can't understand guzzling litres of soft drink daily, but the occasional Coke, as long as it fits into your calories, isn't going to see your insides melting into a big pile of pink goo. By all means, avoid hfcs and sugar and honey, and concentrated fruit juice and brown rice syrup and all the sugar alcohols and agave syrup and by god there are loads more but buggered if I can think of all the names we have for what is essentially sugar, but there's nothing wrong with including a small amount of the evil stuff in your diet.

Right, although most days I have 1/2 tablespoons of honey to sweeten my Plain Greek Yogurt along with fruit.

I'm not saying that HFCS is the devil... just that these stacks freaked me out.
  • tzeoli86
    tzeoli86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump