Keeping weight loss a secret?

Options
I realized the other day that this is a whole new way for me to do things. When I have tried to change my eating habits and lose weight in the past, I would pretty much tell everyone I knew. Of course, I never got where I was going with losing weight and never said anything more about it.

Now that I am really losing weight and making this a new way of life, I am not telling anyone. I usually tell everyone when I am going to lose weight or when I lost weight and this time i am not.

Maybe subconsciously I am afraid that I won't follow through again and look stupid for not succeeding again.
Having said that this time I am committed to doing this and will follow through, but am really not telling many people.

Anyone else keeping this a secret? Or are you telling everyone?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You've got weigh up with the power of peer pressure and accountability, against all the nonsense from experts or jealous saboteurs.

Hopefully you can get all of the good and none of the bad on here.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell people for like 3 months... just didn't talk about it.

It is hard not to now, as it is very noticeable.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I was keeping it from everyone for almost 2 weeks, I just told my mom yesterday, and hours later she brought over cookies and cake... sigh.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I was keeping it from everyone for almost 2 weeks, I just told my mom yesterday, and hours later she brought over cookies and cake... sigh.

See!
  • Spinny13
    Spinny13 Posts: 1
    Options
    I too have decided to make this a private journey and I think for the same reason... When I tell ppl I usually fail and feel worse about myself so this time I am doing it quietly with only the support of my hubby and so far, so good!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    not everyone needs to know. i just tell people i'm being more active. which i am.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options

this is why it isn't anyone else's business!
  • AmyFett
    Options

Yep.. I figured telling my mom would help. I asked her to run to the store to grab bread sticks for dinner, she eats at my place a lot, and she's also been noticing i've been eating less. So I just told her. I'm a bad liar, and there shouldn't be a reason to hide something positive like this! Then last night, she brought over a plastic container of cookies and a whole cake, and cheese filled bread sticks lol
  • AmyFett
    Options

See!

I've also told everyone in the past and this happened.. I didn't even tell my hubby, though he's not completely retarded, he'll figure it out soon enough.
  • TimeToCrackOn
    Options
    Im also keeping it a secret, only people who know are my husband, brother and mother, oh and 1 of my sisters who live miles away, only cause she is also losing weight but almost at her target so shes good support :)

However my other sister lives in spain and has invited us over for a week in september, she hasnt seen me since last year so wanting a decent loss by then see if she notices :) and its top secret for her lol.
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm down to my last 10-15lbs....I'm in a healthy weight range so anytime I say anything I get told I'm crazy and that I shouldn't lose that much, then offer me horrible but oh so good food.... I just feel awkward and don't know what to say, "Um well actually I weighed 15lbs less when I was younger and I looked better then..." Ugh it's such a long story I just don't tell anyone. Besides my husband, he gets all my whining :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Well if you lose weight and it's substantial, it won't end up being a secret long.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • labellavitaxo
    Options
    Usually I don't say anything to anyone for fear of embarrassment if I fail, but this time, I'm telling people what I'm doing. I feel like it makes me more accountable, and also lets people know why I don't wanna order that pizza or come over because I have to work out.
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    not everyone needs to know. i just tell people i'm being more active. which i am.

I have a few people that I talk to about it and a few that know about it but we don't really talk about it. Not everyone needs to know why I am turning down the cookie they are offering me. Or why I would rather walk than drive that few blocks.
  • JasmineRose14
    JasmineRose14 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I used to tell people all the time, but then every time I would eat ANYTHING they didn't consider to be "diet" food (most of my friends are in shape) they would make ridiculous comments. SO, this time, I am just doing it, I'm not hiding it, but I don't talk about it like I used to. You have to gauge every person in your life individually and talk to them differently. Life style changes are a HUGE deal, but not really, it's a weird balance. Just getting used to a whole new way to live is stressfull enough without everyone givng you "advice" or shoving snacks in your face to see if you really have what it takes...
  • BarbBlue
    BarbBlue Posts: 251
    Options
    Thanks, I am glad to know that I am not the only one keeping it a secret. I am sure that when I do lose weight and it is noticeable then it won't be a secret.
  • Bean615
    Bean615 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i never really told anybody i wanted to lose weight i just did it. once i lost the weight everyone realized and was asking what i was doing and blah blah. i kind of dont like talking about it bc it kind of embarasses me in a way idk why that may sound stupid.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am generally kinda private, so I haven't talked about it. My sister was "annoyed" I didn't tell her about my progress. She recently joined and is on her way.

If people notice, then I tell them that I am working on it and exercising more (I didn't change my eating habits much, I am generally a pretty healthy eater).
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell anyone until I actually started losing weight. Then people were like, "Oh wow! You lost so much weight!" After they realized I was losing weight, they were like, "Oh I guess you can't eat this! Eat that, you're so skinny!" Sigh. It's just better that no one knows and I do what I gotta do.
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Yep.. I figured telling my mom would help. I asked her to run to the store to grab bread sticks for dinner, she eats at my place a lot, and she's also been noticing i've been eating less. So I just told her. I'm a bad liar, and there shouldn't be a reason to hide something positive like this! Then last night, she brought over a plastic container of cookies and a whole cake, and cheese filled bread sticks lol

Why the heck do people do this sort of thing? It dumbfounds me. Are they doing it on purpose? Are they so insecure that they want to make sure you don't change? <sigh>