Eat Prior to Workout? Protein Shakes? Thoughts??

Options

Replies

• Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I workout at 5 AM. Personally, I find that I have to eat something light before strength training but not when I do cardio. If I do strength training on an empty stomach I get very light headed and have no energy.
    I think you need to find what is comfortable for you.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I run in the mornings pretty much within 30 minutes of waking up. I have hypothyroidism and have to take my pill first thing in the morning on an empty stomach....then I have to wait at least 30 minutes before eating. I"m not going to wait for my pills, eat food, wait for it to digest then go run. I would have to get up 2 hours early (and I get up at 530 am).

My dr said that it was fine to run without eating first thing in the morning as long as I refuel soon after. I usually refuel with a protein shake, walk to work then eat breakfast.

Good luck!
  • HeidiYogi
    HeidiYogi Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi. I also work out early morning before work - usually getting up between 4 - 4:15 a.m. and jogging for about an hour. I also have a hard time eating before I go. Not sure if it's just a mental thing - worrying about needing a bathroom when there are none on my route - lol - or if I really "can't". When I get done, I'll chug down 20 oz of water and half a protein bar, then make my egg whites on a sandwich thin and take that to work.

This is great, Chelle, thanks! It's just so dang early to eat!! Love your breakfast option! :-)
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I usually wake up at 5:30 to workout and don't normally eat beforehand...but maybe I should. I think I will try a tbsp of peanut butter or something to get me going. Usually afterward I make a home-made shake with Isopure protein powder. It's a little pricey, but has a lot of protein, zero fat and not high on cals. I mix with FF milk, ice, Splenda, a banana and a little peanut butter.
  • HeidiYogi
    Options
    One more thing is that GNC can be a little on the pricey, hard to believe what you're getting front. I went in there recently to buy some glutamine and was talked into a month's supply of whey+AA combination powder that barely lasted me a month and cost over $50. Not only was this frustrating but I gained weight from drinking what I bought. I've now gone back to buying my Whey from Costco and my glutamine separate. Sorry GNC -- but I don't sense you're out to help me get through a tough economy with important supplements.

Hi! I like the idea of adding the granola - that was recommended somewhere else as well, I am going to try that, great idea!! Thanks for your response. I have a really good rep at GNC that gives me an awesome discount on the Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 mix - it's normally over $70 but he drops it down to $49.99 and it lasts me a long time as I'm not doing 3 scoops every time.....thank you for your suggestions!! :)
  • HeidiYogi
    Options
    Shakeology is outstanding, if you can afford it. At about $120 a bag, it is by far the most expensive protein/supplement shake I have ever tried. I only use half a scoop at a time mixed with some other protein. If they could come down on the price to about 30$ a bag, then I would be consuming this stuff daily, and making sure every one else does too. ;)

Yes, it IS really expensive!! I agree with you because it looks like there are a lot of great things in it! :)
  • HeidiYogi
    Options
    Before workouts, I do great with a couple of boiled eggs and some protein powder mixed with water & coconut milk. I do good with protein before a workout and protein after a workout, so nuts afterwards are good.

If I was doing an afternoon workout this would totally work but at 4:30 in the morning?! No way but I do like the nuts idea - thanks!!
  • HeidiYogi
    Options
    According to livestrong.com, the American Council on Exercise recommends eating a light meal 30-60 minutes before a workout consisting of a ratio of roughly 1:3 protein-carbs. An ideal example of which is a small piece of fruit and a piece of string cheese.
    Thank you - this is a great idea and I've done this before - banana and string cheese but again - I'm already getting up at 4:30am - now I have to get up at 4am just to eat?? Maybe on my sleeping in days, this will work - thank you!! :smile:
  • gkbanister
    gkbanister Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    EAT PROTEIN AFTER WORKING OUT. MAKE THE MUSCLES RECOVER, CARB B4 FOR ENERGY
  • HeidiYogi
    Options
    I too workout early in the morning. 99% of the time I do not eat before my morning workout, however, my morning workouts usually consist of mostly cardio. I prefer to do my cardio and/or HIIT training on an empty stomach, but that is me. Although I do lift in the mornings, I feel I get a better strength training session in the afternoons/evenings when my body has had plenty of fuel throughout the day.
    Before my morning cardio/HIIT, I take my supplements and drink a Pre-workout Amino Complex drink. But I refuel my body within 30-60 minutes after my workout with a protein shake and a high protein (or oatmeal) breakfast.

Listen to your body, if you can't eat before hand, eat afterwards. The first hour after a workout is crucial time to refuel.

Best of luck to ya!

Hi krhyme!

What is the pre-workout amino complex drink you drink prior to your workout? I might look into that.....thanks!!
  • HeidiYogi
    Options
    Our bodies are depleted when we wake up so it is important to get some kind of nutrition in before hand. I am the same in where I can't eat much that early either. I usually stick to a protein bar or a banana and tablespoon of peanut butter. Just enough to get me going, then when I return from my workout I have my protein shake. There are many different personal trainers that have blogs on the internet that discuss morning workouts and nutrition. If you are running, I would suggest searching for that specific topic. Alot of it is trial and error as we learn our own bodies :)

These are great ideas for beforehand - I can totally handle bananas - peanut butter (or almond butter in my case) is a great and easy idea - thank you!! :smile:
  • HeidiYogi
    Options
    One thing I like to do is make a protein shake using a flavor that mixes well with fruit punch flavor gatorade. Vanilla is a good choice because it makes a cool strawberries and cream flavor. I will combine one scoop of protein shake mix with a serving of gatorade, drink approximately 1/3 of it before my workout, and the rest after.

Thank you!! Great suggestions!! I'm loving it - thank you all!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Shoot for 1g protein per lb of lean body mass; and .35g of fat per lb of body weight. Fill in the rest however you want. Use whatever meal frequency you feel best with. Don't worry about pre-workout or post workout nutrition. That's it.
  • HeidiYogi
    Options
    I workout at 5 AM. Personally, I find that I have to eat something light before strength training but not when I do cardio. If I do strength training on an empty stomach I get very light headed and have no energy.
    I think you need to find what is comfortable for you.

Hi Bubs05! I am the same way - I get VERY light-headed and that can't be a good thing - it depends on how long my workout is. If I'm doing a quick 30-minute strength workout sometimes I'll be fine but sometimes it'll just hit me and I have to stop......thanks for your support!
  • HeidiYogi
    Options
    I run in the mornings pretty much within 30 minutes of waking up. I have hypothyroidism and have to take my pill first thing in the morning on an empty stomach....then I have to wait at least 30 minutes before eating. I"m not going to wait for my pills, eat food, wait for it to digest then go run. I would have to get up 2 hours early (and I get up at 530 am).

My dr said that it was fine to run without eating first thing in the morning as long as I refuel soon after. I usually refuel with a protein shake, walk to work then eat breakfast.

Good luck!

Yes, thank you MtnKat! I am good with the refueling as I've been doing my whey protein shake but am just questioning the eating prior - yes, I agree with you! We're already getting up super early, I have to get up even EARLIER just to eat?! :smile: THanks for your comments!!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I run fasted first thing in the morning. I drink some coffee and some water before then I eat a bunch when I get back.

I do light strength training later in the day, so I've already eaten breakfast and a snack or two by then. I do have some protein bars I've been eating afterward, but I'm not going to buy anymore of those after I run out of the ones I have.
  • HeidiYogi
    Options
    I usually wake up at 5:30 to workout and don't normally eat beforehand...but maybe I should. I think I will try a tbsp of peanut butter or something to get me going. Usually afterward I make a home-made shake with Isopure protein powder. It's a little pricey, but has a lot of protein, zero fat and not high on cals. I mix with FF milk, ice, Splenda, a banana and a little peanut butter.

Hi butterfli! Yes, I feel the same way - I feel like I *should* be eating something so it's good to read your comments also.......I'm also doing a post-workout high protein shake which I LOVE! :smile: Thanks for your recipe - sounds YUMMY!!
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I always work out first thing in the morning, while in a fasting state; and I only take in water during the workout. After my workout, I suck down about 550 calories in a post-workout shake for breakfast.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Shoot for 1g protein per lb of lean body mass; and .35g of fat per lb of body weight. Fill in the rest however you want. Use whatever meal frequency you feel best with. Don't worry about pre-workout or post workout nutrition. That's it.
    This. Meal frequency and nutrient timing is 100% personal preference.

THE LAWS OF NUTRIENT TIMING
    The first law of nutrient timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The second law of nutrient timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    -Alan Aragon
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

Hi butterfli! Yes, I feel the same way - I feel like I *should* be eating something so it's good to read your comments also.......I'm also doing a post-workout high protein shake which I LOVE! :smile: Thanks for your recipe - sounds YUMMY!!

There was a study that showed that runners who swished a glucose solution around in their mouths and then spit it out were able to run as far/strong/fast/etc. as runners who actually took in carbs prior to the run. Apparently, there's a mechanism that's triggered just by having the carbs in your mouth.

You don't need to eat before you workout, but what the heck, you can if you want.

If you're going to eat before you workout, really, anything other than carbs doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. PB, for example, will just sit in your stomach. What does that do for you? But you can argue that carbs will give you an energy boost.