Who is responsible for what we choose to eat?

Options
After watching BBC 2 the men who made us fat I was interested to find out who you feel should take responsibility for obesity. Is it us the consumer, food industry for selling unhealthy food or the government for not bringing in tougher regulations on the food industry?

Replies

• JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen anyone held down and forced to eat a bag of chips, 14 hotdogs, a 2 liter of pop, and a cake.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen anyone held down and forced to eat a bag of chips, 14 hotdogs, a 2 liter of pop, and a cake.

Bingo! McDonalds doesn't hold my family hostage if I don't eat there! It's all about personal knowledge and personal responsibility.
  • Arredondo145
    Arredondo145 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    At some point, you have to take responsibility for yourself, including what you choose to eat...
  • KamFit12
    KamFit12 Posts: 43
    Options
    I agree with your point but it is a lot deeper than that. For example Fatty foods being cheaper than healthier options. False marketing on food which aren't really healthy especially on food targeted towards children.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    It's all us... sure the Hardee's right down the street from my house hasn't helped any... but no one forced me to go there.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I agree with your point but it is a lot deeper than that. For example Fatty foods being cheaper than healthier options. False marketing on food which aren't really healthy especially on food targeted towards children.

there are a lot of relatively in-expensive foods that are also healthy... like dried beans and barley, steal cut oats, etc. plus fruits and veggies are a lot cheaper this time of year at like farmers markets etc too. Do all of these foods take a lot longer to prepare than fast food... yeah... which is why I've had more than my fair share of fast food... It's quick and easy... but you can still eat healthy on a budget.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    At some point, you have to take responsibility for yourself, including what you choose to eat...

Amen! I agree totally..
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have never been held at gun point to go into a fast food joint or eat a bag of chips :)!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    After watching BBC 2 the men who made us fat I was interested to find out who you feel should take responsibility for obesity. Is it us the consumer, food industry for selling unhealthy food or the government for not bringing in tougher regulations on the food industry?

Ultimately we're all responsible for our own choices. I, like many people, know that eating fast foods are not good for me, just like smoking or doing drugs.

That being said, there is still a level of blame to be held by people that mis-educate others which will inevitably lead them to a poor choice. I.e. if you know nothing about cars and I give you a bunch of kooky information that causes you to do damage to your car through a series of choices whose responsible?

I say that to say this....

Besides the obvious people that literally stuff themselves on bad foods, there are a lot of obese and sick people that have heard their entire adult life to eat things that are "light", "lite", "low cal", "fat free", and other labels that didn't realize how those foods were also unhealthy for them. They were actually making "educated" choices.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    People are responsible for themselves. I will also say that good eating habits start early, and if you are fed only junk from the time you are a year old, it can be very, very hard to start eating better as an adult. So, parents are definitely to blame as well.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

The most unhealthy foods also have the longest shelf lives as well.

For a family with two working adults or limited income the idea of buying food that doesn't spoil for 100 years and therefore less waste, is also tempting.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    The only people FORCED to eat bad are children and those who are in severe poverty.

Most people will eat what they like, what tastes good to them and availability.

Responsibility is basically on the person doing the eating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mayraapoppp
    Options
    It's the consumer 100% of time. YES the govt. should make it easier by lowering the costs of say organic foods, BUT It's cheaper to take out the healthy ingredients in foods than to leave them as they are. Isn't that crazy? It is actually cheaper to make white bread than to let it be as natural and as healthy as it comes. We have to remember we are never going to be a perfect world though. They do suck for making a cheeseburger which btw doesn't even contain REAL ingredients cheaper than a bag of apples at a grocery store.
  • farrari17
    farrari17 Posts: 19
    Options
    We personally are responsible for what we choose to eat. We cannot blame advertising, we are the ones who make the decision, we inheritly know that the food advertised is "bad". And "fast food" and "fatty foods" are not always cheaper. There are plenty of cheaper options. Frozen vegetable and fruits are just as nutritious as the fresh ones, and canned foods are ok as long as you read how they are packaged, and they're super cheap. People also need to understand that there is not a list of "healthy" and "unhealthy" foods. Healthy is an objective term, and depends on the person and situation. If you're fat, it's because you made poor choices, you cannot blame anyone but yourself. If you're thin, you also can blame yourself, because you made good choices. Message to take from this: Don't blame others, blame yourself.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of relatively in-expensive foods that are also healthy... like dried beans and barley, steal cut oats, etc. plus fruits and veggies are a lot cheaper this time of year at like farmers markets etc too. Do all of these foods take a lot longer to prepare than fast food... yeah... which is why I've had more than my fair share of fast food... It's quick and easy... but you can still eat healthy on a budget.

bingo ..

also when we choose to eat fast food, no one BUT ourselves makes us eat the amount we do .. my sister is 95-98 pounds (she is short) .. when she does eat mcd's she gets the "all american meal" (kids meal w/o toy) she eats half her burger, half her fries and drinks her lil tiny drink and she is done ..

i go to mcds I get 10pc nugget w/sauce and medium size (used to get super sized plus a double cheeseburger back in the day)

so WE ARE responsible for our choices, no one else
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    It comes down to the individual, of course, but anyone who's ever taken a sociology course should be able to step back and see the bigger picture. I think the root cause lies with the US government promoting dietary and health recommendations wllly nilly without the science to back up those recommendations--and continuing the debacle by not correcting the mistakes they made because of political and economic considerations. It's outrageous.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    WE ARE! It's your life. You can CHOOSE to drive through McDonald's and get a Big Mac, Big Fry, and Big drink and a McFlurry for dessert. Or you can keep driving to your local grocer and buy some chicken breasts and fresh veggies. It's absolutely absurd to blame your choices on the government or food industry!!!!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    The answer is in the topic title. "We choose to eat" whatever it is that we want to eat. Except for children that eat whatever their parents feed them.
  • byersdlt
    byersdlt Posts: 9
    Options
    Yeah, it sucks that there are so many profit machines (corporations, advertisers, etc) out for every dollar they can get at any expensive (like the population of the planet) we need to be diligent in holding them accountable for their part. That being said...WE ARE ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT WE CHOOSE TO EAT! We have a responsibility to know what we eat, where it comes from and whether or not it's even food. Education is paramount to living our lives consciously. Even that is up to us!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    you are.
    and when you were a child, your parents.