Who is responsible for what we choose to eat?

Options

Replies

• kristin1125
    kristin1125 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Unless you are under the age of 16 or something I think we are all responsible for ourselves.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    it's ronald's fault
    evil-clown-mcdonalds-30871145-320-304.jpg
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    A combination of us (or our parents in the case of children) and also any education system which fails to teach children about good nutrition from the very, very first day of school.

It is a myth that it is cheaper to eat fast food than healthy, square meals. Have you been to McDonalds recently? A full adult-sized meal costs far, far more than the ingredients for most meals you could make at home.
  • KamFit12
    KamFit12 Posts: 43
    Options
    It's really interesting to find that we all feel that we are responsible. Which sort of contradicts the programme which states the government is not making enough regulation on the food industry to ensure to stop obesity.

I guess my stance is everything in moderation. We are responsible but as a consumer I have been misleaded in thinking something is healthy even though this is far from the truth on the labelling. I would say I'm an educated person but I do feel that the government could play a more proactive role in regulating the Industry so it's easier for everyone to make the healthier choice and that labelling would be simpler to understand. Its also interesting in the research showing that people perceive just because it says or assumed as 'healthy' doesn't mean that it's low in calories.

Currently I'm obese in my BMI and have taken the responsibility to change that. :)
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    A major problem for the US is the govenment subsidies to corn and soy (which are used as fillers and for extending the shelf life of processed foods), but not other agriculture, so it is less expensive for those things than produce that is healthier to consume. I don't think it is the fast food industry, as they are just selling what people are buying... supply and demand. I think the government needs to get more involved with education of nutrition, and subsidizing produce that promote a well rounded diet. I really think that a lot of people just don't know what is good and what is bad. My in-laws honestly have no clue. They just buy what is inexpensive, and what they like to eat. Education is key. Price points are key.

this is obvbiously a simplification and just the tip of the iceburg.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Adults know better and can do better. I truly feel sorry for obese and overweight children, though. They are just eating how they've been trained.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    After watching BBC 2 the men who made us fat I was interested to find out who you feel should take responsibility for obesity. Is it us the consumer, food industry for selling unhealthy food or the government for not bringing in tougher regulations on the food industry?

The government bringing tougher regulations on the food industry? That is a slippery slope we don't want to go down. Who do you think stuffs the pockets of the politicians??? At least now I have the choice to eat something healthy if I want it. If we take that road, we are liable to be forced to eat things that are deemed healthy because the government says so because some lobbyist gave them a bunch of money to say it. The sooner you realize that, like it or not, the world we live in revolves around power and the almighty $$, and it is entirely up to you to educate yourself and make choices for yourself, the better off you will be.
  • jasmine12122003
    Options
    I blame my mother. lol Seriously, she would eat a whole bag of mini Mounds candy bars in one sitting right in front of me and then berate me if I tried to get one. We always had fresh fruit and lots of vegies, but the pantry was stocked with cookies and candy! WTH?
    Truthfully, it is solely up to me.
  • KamFit12
    KamFit12 Posts: 43
    Options
    After watching BBC 2 the men who made us fat I was interested to find out who you feel should take responsibility for obesity. Is it us the consumer, food industry for selling unhealthy food or the government for not bringing in tougher regulations on the food industry?
    [/quote

The government bringing tougher regulations on the food industry? That is a slippery slope we don't want to go down. Who do you think stuffs the pockets of the politicians??? At least now I have the choice to eat something healthy if I want it. If we take that road, we are liable to be forced to eat things that are deemed healthy because the government says so because some lobbyist gave them a bunch of money to say it. The sooner you realize that, like it or not, the world we live in revolves around power and the almighty $$, and it is entirely up to you to educate yourself and make choices for yourself, the better off you will be.

Lol I've realised that. But we are paying the price to. Well I know in the uk we are the cost obesity in the NHS. I kind of disagree that I have to just sit back and accept just because they have more money that we have to sit back and watch them no matter what industry. The public can have power if enough people want it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it depends. for the most part it's the individual's responsibility but with that said, some people do have access to better education about nutrition as well as better food in general. basically some people don;t know better and when you dont know there is something better, it doesnt make sense for others to just expect them to some how acquire this information by magic.

like many thing, it's hard for people to see past their experiences unless they are given new experiences

for instance, i was lucky enough to grow up raised by an old school family who lived closer to their food, so we all had gardens, the adults knew people who lived on farms and could get eggs and dairy. we bought our meat from farmers and markets in bulk. i was only allowed candy twice a year (easter and halloween). everything we ate was from scratch, every meal had a meat, a starch and vegetable. we snacked on fruits, nuts and veggies. we never had mcdonalds and the only time i ever did have it as a kid was when i stole $$ from my mom when i was 8 because i wanted to try a big mac. :laugh: of course she saw my theft as a further proof as to why she would never let me eat fast food since it was the devil enticing me to steal and eat :laugh: i never got chips in my lunch until i was 12 and that was 5 years of begging and pleading and alway putting those snack pack thing on my grocery list.

when i got older in my 20's, i met tons of people my age who did not have that background with food. some of them had kids and were teaching their bad habits that they learned to their kids. these were people who's idea of salad was iceberg lettuce and i was like no wonder you hate salad! the first time i made a good friend of mine a delicious salad (with spinach, arugula, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, fennel, sauteed mushrooms, capers, herbs and grilled chicken with a yummy homemade vinaigrette) she was like "OMG this isn't salad this is so good". we were 25 at the time and up until then her experience told her that vegetables just meant - wilted iceberg with thick ranch.

so yeah, we're responsible for what we choose to eat but many of us are limited by our experiences
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    It's really interesting to find that we all feel that we are responsible. Which sort of contradicts the programme which states the government is not making enough regulation on the food industry to ensure to stop obesity.

I guess my stance is everything in moderation. We are responsible but as a consumer I have been misleaded in thinking something is healthy even though this is far from the truth on the labelling. I would say I'm an educated person but I do feel that the government could play a more proactive role in regulating the Industry so it's easier for everyone to make the healthier choice and that labelling would be simpler to understand. Its also interesting in the research showing that people perceive just because it says or assumed as 'healthy' doesn't mean that it's low in calories.

Currently I'm obese in my BMI and have taken the responsibility to change that. :)

I think it's great that you're making the choice to change, but do you really want the government to "protect" you from making your own choices?
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

I agree.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The answer is in the question, "we choose".
  • karadawn14
    karadawn14 Posts: 41
    Options
    I saw a picture on pinterest once that I found interesting... It was a picture of McDonalds or something at McDonalds and said Thanks McDonalds for making our kids fat.

YOU ARE THE DUMBASS THAT TOOK YOUR KID TO MCDONALDS 3+ TIMES A WEEK IN ORDER FOR THEM TO GET FAT.

Vent over.

Its your own decision.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

I think it's great that you're making the choice to change, but do you really want the government to "protect" you from making your own choices?

they do that already. it's called laws:

i cant drink and drive.. i cant take some drugs... i can't get mad at someone and stab them in the neck... i can't walk out of a store with some shoes without paying...some guy just cant see me on the street and go hey i wanna piece of that and then rape me ....

we already have laws in place to protect people from making their own choices. heck we even already have laws involving FOOD that prevent people from making their own choices, so how would this be any different?
  • kaymarie78
    kaymarie78 Posts: 104
    Options

Have you ever read about food deserts? If not, go check it out. I found it to be a very interesting concept when I was researching topics for a thesis.
  • relly1008
    relly1008 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    At some point, you have to take responsibility for yourself, including what you choose to eat...

This!!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

uh ... who is responsible for what I choose to eat?

I'll tell you who it is ... it is that damned sasquatch!

davis.JPG
  • harpercutie
    harpercutie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    the government for providing us with faulsy info.
  • deb_jones
    deb_jones Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    We make our own choices.