MFP Exercise amounts have changed

Options
I don't know if anyone else noticed by I believe they changed their exercise amounts because usually when I record 25 minutes of walking they say I earned 62 calories but today it says I only burned 59 for the same amount of time. Has anyone else noticed a change in amount

Replies

• ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed a change in the amount and I usually record my walking at lunch with MFP calculations.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    did you recently lose weight? as you lose, you burn fewer calories because it takes less force to propel your body forward.

...or they could have changed it. IDK. :)
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    did you recently lose weight? as you lose, you burn fewer calories because it takes less force to propel your body forward.
    ^This
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    All I know is Friday it said 62 for the amount I walked but today it say 59, I almost didn't notice it cause I don't eat them back. I haven't lost anymore weight recently because I am trying to maintain not lose
  • ebenso1
    ebenso1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

...or they could have changed it. IDK. :)

This exactly! As you lose weight you burn fewer calories with exercise. It's so unfair!
  • bahsukh
    bahsukh Posts: 19
    Options
    I noticed the same thing. Mine used to say 419 for my walk now it is down to 383. Don't know why.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Maybe since I'm keeping it off they reduced the amount cause haven't lost any more lately lol, good thing I don't eat that small amount back I might have went over a few :}
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's happened to me, too, when nothing else has changed. Can't really explain it...
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think it calculates by weight so it will huge as you lose, unless you use an alternate method of tracking like a HRM and manually override with your calculations.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same thing. Mine used to say 419 for my walk now it is down to 383. Don't know why.

Interesting.

So, if you did NOT log a weight loss since that 419, could you check a couple things, I'll see if the math works.

What does MFP have down as your BMR?
    Tools - BMR calc -

What does MFP have down as your daily maintenance?
    Goals - Calories burned from normal daily activity -

How many minutes was the workout that gave 419 and now 383?
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Did your weight change... that causes fluxuations...
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    mfp cal counts are reeeaallly high compared to my heart rate monitor.
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    I get so nervous with the exercise app on here. I mean, are these minimum calories you burn? or maximum? because the effort you put into the workout is going to effect the ammount of calories you burn. I always try to throw myself completely into he workout and burn as much as possible, but still ...
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I track my calories with a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor and when compared to MFP (in the past) they were always to high with calories burned. Maybe they are correcting the errors. Plus they don't take into consideraton sex, age, weight.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    never mind. :happy:
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Want to keep an eye on this one - see what the outcome is (if any!)
  • jojojo909090
    jojojo909090 Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Agreed. It's been a bit of a wake up call now I have a HRM.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    This is a quote from Steven (MFP staff) in another thread related to calorie burn change, though it DOES refer to the daily calorie goal. Since there's some sort of formula used to calculate our burns based on at least weight height and age... and maybe the other factors also... it MAY pair up with this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/660876-weight-increased-daily-allowance-decreased
    These factors determine your calorie goal:

age, height, weight, gender and activity level.

If your age ticked up, not even necessarily by a full year, it can lower your calorie goal just a touch.

And since every one of us has our age ticking up on a daily, hourly, by the second basis it's possible that that's what triggered the change... 3 calories is so absolutely within an allowable error... it's less than a gram worth of carbs or protein that it's not a big deal.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options

Truth.

Buy an HRM...I have probably said it 100 times and I will say it 100 more. There is no way to accurately measure how many calories you burned from a machine or mfp estimates. It doesn't measure "effort" and an HRM does. It could be more, could be less but not knowing could be screwing your cals in/cals out really bad.

Wanna know how bad mine was?
    For every 1000 calories the treadmill said I burned, I only burned 500ish, for every 1000 the elliptical said I burned I only burned around 600ish and for every 850 calories MFP said I burned, I only burned 500-600-that's for "home aerobics".
    Big differences.

Drives me bananas when people think they burned 1200 cals an hour just walking...sigh. :grumble:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    This is a quote from Steven (MFP staff) in another thread related to calorie burn change, though it DOES refer to the daily calorie goal. Since there's some sort of formula used to calculate our burns based on at least weight height and age... and maybe the other factors also... it MAY pair up with this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/660876-weight-increased-daily-allowance-decreased
    These factors determine your calorie goal:

age, height, weight, gender and activity level.

If your age ticked up, not even necessarily by a full year, it can lower your calorie goal just a touch.

And since every one of us has our age ticking up on a daily, hourly, by the second basis it's possible that that's what triggered the change... 3 calories is so absolutely within an allowable error... it's less than a gram worth of carbs or protein that it's not a big deal.

Well, that is the calorie goal, which is based on foundation of BMR, which is based on age, height, weight. 2 of which change and that is correct the goal will change.

But this Topic is referring to the exercise database, which is exactly the same descriptions and burns as other publicly available ones, that only use weight, not the other factors.

I'm wondering if they are automatically deducting something they do know about, the daily maintenance estimate, or the BMR perhaps, from the total calories?