Cluttered Mess...(NEED TIPS)

Options
LadyBugLex17
LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
SOS.SOS.SOS.SOS.SOS.

Hello MFP Friends,

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ORGANIZING TIPS?

This site has been great to me so far, so now I am looking to you all for help to improve the health of my home.
I am looking for some people with awesome organization skills. My husband and I live in a one bedroom apartment in Northern California and I am trying to find some innovative ways to oraganize our stuff. I HATE clutter. He has inhertired a smidge of the hording passion from his mother (great) :ohwell:
Yeah I know, I could go to The Container Store, but i want some reasonable ideas.

If exhchanging emails and taking and sharing photos of our apartment are neccesary, this can be done.

HELP! we're here for another 9 months.

Thanks so much everyone and anyone!
:drinker:

Replies

• jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This may be like the worst idea ever but... I get all my organizing skills from crafty people on PINTEREST. I don't know if you are on this site or have seen it but it's helped me :)
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You took the words out of my mouth!!! Pinterest!!! They have tons of ideas for EVERYTHING!!!!
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love Pinterest.
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    1. Don't HAVE more than you can KEEP nicely.

2. A piece of furniture should be more than a decorative attraction, it should be functional. With drawers and multiple purposes. Your apartment is too small for any other kind of furniture. There should be drawers under the bed for instance. And a coffee table should store winter blankets inside, if not more.

3. Hang racks inside closet doors and pantry door....a door's inner side is a surface waiting to be used for shoes or spice racks or ziplock bags or any small things that you use frequently and take up floor and drawer space.

4. Some things that are bulky and not used very often, but important to you. The wok, the crock pot, the dutch oven. On top of the fridge they go. Your apartment is too small to think decor, so think function, but neat function. Neatness and cleanliness is its own beauty and reward.

5. Put a laundry basket in the trunk of your car. In goes the junk mail, the newspapers, the magazines....when full, recycle :) Keeps your home free of clutter and gives you a quick place to put it all till you have enough to do something with.

6. And finally, a thought for your husband. "When you buy me a house, you can have your own room!" :) ~lots of giggles~ Good luck!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    www.flylady.net

She is like MFP for your home (and free too!)
  • LadyBugLex17
    LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You took the words out of my mouth!!! Pinterest!!! They have tons of ideas for EVERYTHING!!!!

OH Jesus, MFP and Facebook take up alot of my time already with trying to be more fit and keeping in touch with people, but I mayyyyyyy have to give in! thanks for all the tips ladies. I KNEW i would get some help :)

We have a huge closet space, but get this... the whole shelving and hanger rod as snapped in half and fell... not once, but twice this year!

I was considering getting a storage space as well... but then that leads to collecting too my SH!#.... i love the furniture idea. too awesome!
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If you've not used it or worn it or even thought about it in a year (six months if not clothing) give it away or throw it away. Junk breeds, and lead to an untidy habits and an untidy mind. (I lived with my wife in a apartment that was 22ft by 23ft for seven years)
  • kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    www.flylady.net

This
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I got a huge old style chest. It seriously looks like a treasure chest! It's decorative so works nicely in the alcove on the landing, but is a brilliant storage space for just about anything - bedding and towels are in mine.

i have some stacking crates and have spray painted them to fit in with decor and my makeup, hair care and skincare/bodycare is all tidied away in those put at the side of my wardrobe.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options

OH Jesus, MFP and Facebook take up alot of my time already with trying to be more fit and keeping in touch with people, but I mayyyyyyy have to give in! thanks for all the tips ladies. I KNEW i would get some help :)

We have a huge closet space, but get this... the whole shelving and hanger rod as snapped in half and fell... not once, but twice this year!

I was considering getting a storage space as well... but then that leads to collecting too my SH!#.... i love the furniture idea. too awesome!

on top of ideas for storage they have work outs and "skinny food" recipes too! So you can mix MFP with Pinterest!!!
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I suck at this too.

Love this blog www.unclutterer.com
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Your apartment might not be this small, but they have a lot of great tips on saving space and organizing!

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/tiny-homes-on-at-41195
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    www.flylady.net

This.

Start with the Beginner Babysteps. Don't skip any of the steps! They're all important. And then after you've gotten through the 30 steps, you can start picking and choosing what you need to keep and what doesn't work for you. Like for me, the shoes in the house thing didn't work, but it does help to shower and get dressed and put on an apron in the morning, so I get dressed to apron instead of to shoes. These days I don't do things exactly like she says to do them, and I almost never do the daily missions she sends out, but going through the process has helped me stay on top of things, and now my house is almost never more than 15 minutes from company-ready.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

You need better support for the shelving and rod unit then. Since you rent, talk to your landlord about getting a better one. If he/she doesn't cooperate, alk to someone at the hardware store. They'll help you get something that will be better supported in the center to keep that from happening.
  • Melanie_Robinson
    Melanie_Robinson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    www.flylady.net

You must do this if you don't want to be overwhelmed! She is awesome!
  • BeyondApril
    BeyondApril Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This post caught my eye because I am trying to declutter as well. Sorry, I don't have any tips to offer, except DON'T GIVE UP! DON'T LET THE CLUTTER WIN!!! LOL, and off I go to Pinterest to see what others are doing!!!
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Fly Lady and Pinterest are where I go for help for that! They both help me a TON!!!
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the most organised people EVER (according to my close family) and it's not always meant as a compliment. I can drive them nuts at times so don't think you want to be on the receiving end of emails from me telling you how to organise your home! LOL A lot of the previous suggestions are great ideas though. Good luck.
  • seardefilip
    Options
    pinterest will have a million ideas for you :)
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    We have the same problem (old house, tiny closets -- if there are any at all), and b/c we're renovating the downstairs, we only live UPSTAIRS with 2 kids.

The "furniture is functional" idea is key -- every THING in my house holds something. If it doesn't have a purpose (besides houseplants and family photos), it's not in there.

I also declutter ALL the time. If I bring in a pair of shoes, 1 pair goes out.

My husband has a bit of the hoarding / piling gene himself. To tell you the truth, I can't wait until we move downstairs and I can shove him and his work stuff into his own space so I can shut the DOOR!! :noway: I have no good advice for husbands.