Cluttered Mess...(NEED TIPS)

Options
2»

Replies

• KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I love ripping a room apart and putting back together all neat-like. (I know, sick in the head).

The best single piece of advice I can give you, is if you haven't touched it in a year, you probably don't need it. Have a garage sale, post on kijiji, donate, whatever, but get rid of it.

Also, invest in some storage - rubbermaid containers, under-bed containers, that sort of thing. Sometimes when they're on sale, you can get screamin' deals. Not sure where you live, but check out Walmart, box hardware stores, that kind of thing.

When you do decide to tackle the job, take it one room at a time. It's so easy to get overwhelmed, and that's usually when people tend to just say "eff it". (or that's how I used to be, anyhow!)

Best of luck to you :-)
  • ladymember
    Options
    We have a small 1200 sq. ft home.

Husbands are something else.
    He has our whole garage filled - plus a boat in the driveway.
    He has a storage barn filled.
    He has 3 closets in the house filled.
    He has one spare room filled, even a dresser and a stackable drawers thingy.

Fishing stuff, hunting stuff, camping stuff, golf stuff, and pictures, newspaper clippings, and you name it, he's got it.

He had to have an automatic coin sorter machine, now he wants a 500 lb gun cabinet !
    We are never going to be able to move!
  • Turtlehurdle
    Turtlehurdle Posts: 412
    Options
    www.flylady.net

She is like MFP for your home (and free too!)

Agreed
  • BeyondApril
    BeyondApril Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    LOL, love your post, I had to give my husband his own coat closet! The rest of the family (4 of us) have to share the other coat closet. Too funny!:smile:
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Bump, bump, bada-bump! Need to check out this fly lady site. And don't get me started on Pinterest :love: ....I would get home from work, get on the computer, and all of a sudden it was 10PM! No wonder I gained weight and my back hurt :laugh:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Two words... ok really one, but two words flows better...

FlyLady.... seriously, that woman is helping me keep my house organized and decluttered.. and then for storage ideas and the like, Pinterest is my other place to go.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Buahahahaha... I guess I should have read the comments past the first one...
  • LadyBugLex17
    LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    We have a small 1200 sq. ft home.

Husbands are something else.
    He has our whole garage filled - plus a boat in the driveway.
    He has a storage barn filled.
    He has 3 closets in the house filled.
    He has one spare room filled, even a dresser and a stackable drawers thingy.

Fishing stuff, hunting stuff, camping stuff, golf stuff, and pictures, newspaper clippings, and you name it, he's got it.

He had to have an automatic coin sorter machine, now he wants a 500 lb gun cabinet !
    We are never going to be able to move!

LMAO

and for you my dear I have sympathys. We're both young in our early 20's so I'm trying to learn together.

Thank you all for your tips. I'm really excited to just devote a month of Saturdays with my husband. One room a day and just measure and design what we need.

The closet snapped since I have been gone on deployment and I said " Please have the thing fixed by the time I get home"
    It's crazy to me HOW MUCH stress clutter makes in your life.

Definitely going to head to IKEA and see what I can find for functional furniture.

THANK YOU ALL! I AM SO APPRECIATIVE OF EVERYONES TIPS!!! :)
  • LadyBugLex17
    Options
    Bump, bump, bada-bump! Need to check out this fly lady site. And don't get me started on Pinterest :love: ....I would get home from work, get on the computer, and all of a sudden it was 10PM! No wonder I gained weight and my back hurt :laugh:

technology has had it's way with me for far tooooo LONG! sad isn't it? I'm thinking about canceling my cable when I get back home, but then what will my husband do? LMAO :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I understand your pain. I learned how to keep things to a minimum a long time ago....I moved every couple years and got tired of packing stuff up that I never used. When my guy and I moved in together we had a lot of duplicates of stuff so we had a garage sale. What was left after the sale went to the local thrift store. The one (well many) things I can't get my guy to do is get rid of is boxes. Empty boxes. I know...right???! He has got to keep the original boxes of things he has purchased....(car stereo, blue ray player, computer, etc) just in case he has to return it. I'm like...the warranty has expired, if it breaks now you can't return it! But the boxes stay in the closet. I finally got him to toss a couple boxex for things that he hasn't had for 5 years....stuff he sold at the garage sale!! His other main clutter item is clothes....he has more than I do! I have half a closet, he has 2 1/2 full closets (and 2 chest of drawers) of stuff....many he hasn't looked at much less worn in years! Will he ever fit into them again...no way! I can understand wanting to keep an old uniform from the Navy, but come on....the underwear and t-shirts too?? 2 seabags full of stuff? Clothes he wore in high school and college? The man is 42! :noway: :ohwell:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOVE throwing stuff away. But my husband keeps threatening me to not touch his stuff. So I understand your pain. His night stand is ridiculous.

Everyone has already given great advice....and I am happy I checked this thread to see the flylady.com suggestion. I've never heard of it. I'm excited! haha
  • LadyBugLex17
    Options
    I understand your pain. I learned how to keep things to a minimum a long time ago....I moved every couple years and got tired of packing stuff up that I never used. When my guy and I moved in together we had a lot of duplicates of stuff so we had a garage sale. What was left after the sale went to the local thrift store. The one (well many) things I can't get my guy to do is get rid of is boxes. Empty boxes. I know...right???! He has got to keep the original boxes of things he has purchased....(car stereo, blue ray player, computer, etc) just in case he has to return it. I'm like...the warranty has expired, if it breaks now you can't return it! But the boxes stay in the closet. I finally got him to toss a couple boxex for things that he hasn't had for 5 years....stuff he sold at the garage sale!! His other main clutter item is clothes....he has more than I do! I have half a closet, he has 2 1/2 full closets (and 2 chest of drawers) of stuff....many he hasn't looked at much less worn in years! Will he ever fit into them again...no way! I can understand wanting to keep an old uniform from the Navy, but come on....the underwear and t-shirts too?? 2 seabags full of stuff? Clothes he wore in high school and college? The man is 42! :noway: :ohwell:

LOL I told my husband.. seeing as the closet is broken... go through your stuff NOW while it's a hot *kitten* mess. Lord be with our hoarding me...