C25k~ Running Shoes~ HELP :)

Options
So, I am looking to starting C25K, and have gotten some really good advice from everyone on the site :)
The main thing I keep hearing is GOOD RUNNING SHOES and how important it is! Most say go to a running store, and get fitted and tested for the shoes you need.. Which sounds like a great plan, and I am going to try to do that. But with 2 babies, Idk how going in there with my double stroller and keeping them occupied while I do various running tests and try on multiple pairs of shoes will go. lol

With that said... Are there certain Brands I should be looking for? What are the best? What are the generally good ones, that aren't necessarily the most expensive!? I don't want to walk in looking like I have no clue what I'm doing or looking for and get talked into buying the most expensive pair in the store because I'm distracted and ready to get out of there! LOL

I'm a beginning runner (you could pretty much say I've barely ran a day in my life, except from the cops as a kid lol) and I have a high arch. I do not walk on the inners, or outers of my feet... I walk straight and have no wear on either sides of my normal shoes. Idk if that helps?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• jehembee
    jehembee Posts: 114
    Options
    I am a newbie to running, too (just did week 6 day 1 though!) and I ended up just going to Sports Chek and getting a good pair of New Balance running shoe made for trail running (can't run on a tread mill, and beside, I live about 100 meters from a beautiful trail system.

I have two small children as well, and couldn't justify spending over $100 on a pair of shoes for myself.
  • mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was in and out of my running store in 20 mins with a pair of shoes less than $100. They just had me walk back and forth a few times and gave me 3 pairs to try on. I ran down the sidewalk and back in each one and was surprised at how different they were. You really should have someone fit you for good shoes. It makes a huge difference even if you will only be running a mile or so at the beginning. Good luck!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If you go to a running store, every brand, every shoe is going to be a good shoe. You just have to find the right one for you based on the way you run.

Sounds like you need to take a friend along to entertain the little ones. :)
  • Kunderwood04
    Options
    Where would one find a running store? Mall? Thanks!
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If you go to a running store, every brand, every shoe is going to be a good shoe. You just have to find the right one for you based on the way you run.

Bingo.
    What do your kids do when you take them in other stores?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Where would one find a running store? Mall? Thanks!

Probably not at the mall. RoadRunner Sports and Fleet Feet are two that are semi-national. Check with a local running group to see where they go.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, I spent an hour in the store when I went, but I was talking with the salesperson about running. The actual test and fitting was less than 15 minutes. Just try it. What's the worst that can happen? You have to leave the store? No loss.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The small investment in time to make sure you have the right shoe for you is worth it.
  • franklands
    franklands Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    PLEASE! Go to a running store. A real one. They will likely have the machine to analyze your running pattern, gait, etc and be able to correctly fit you in the right shoe. You will be happy with the results.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    The sales people are not paid on comission. They are paid to help you succeed at running. Many, if not all, of the people are runners themselves and want to see you love it as much as they do. If you have a budget, let them know what that is so they can see if they can find anything in that range.

It's not like going to a car dealership, you won't be taken advantage of.

If you want to be successful at running, you need a good pair of shoes.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options

Bingo.
    What do your kids do when you take them in other stores?

I don't usually take them anywhere with me... I do all errands during baby nap times when my 17 year old babysits.... But he is gone for the summer :(
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Ok... I actually have an all runners store in the next town over from me... my husband ran in there one day to get an Ipod arm carrier, and said they had a treadmill set up with a video camera and stuff inside... I'm assuming its to test your running? Anyway... Running store it is!!!!!! Thanks guys :)
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I went to a local running store. They had me walk around the store for them and asked me what my goals were. Then they brought me like 10 pairs of shoes and we just tried them on, walked around and decided if I liked this one better than that one, etc. It was really good advice. I walked out with some shoes that were a little pricey, but now I don't get shin splints! I think it's worth it.

For what it's worth, I bought Brooks Launch.
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This is a good list of running stores that can help you get fitted: http://www.runnersworld.com/store/search/1,7978,s6-240-417-0-0,00.html
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I'm an Asics kinda gal :-) I love my Asics...New Balance isn't too bad either. I heard Brooks and Nike were good too.

There is no place around me within a hundred miles that do the shoe testing. I had to research and learn what kind of shoe I needed to wear. There is a brown bag and water test that you can do to find your arch and you already seem to know that you are not an over or under pronator (like you said, your old shoes).

I think going to a shoe store for a fitting is your best option, but if you had to do it on your own, I would research it by starting with Runner's World and using their shoe finder: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-240-319--4615-0,00.html

I figured out that I needed a good stability running shoe. I ended up buying new pair of Asic's Gels stability (I forget off hand the exact type) shoe for $60 instead of $140 online.

I love them. They are by far my most favorite shoe and when I put them on, I feel like I'm walking on a cloud. Much better than the New Balance one's I was wearing (They were my first running shoe....I just grabbed them at the shoe store. They worked, but not like the Asics).

Good luck in finding your new shoes!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I went to our local Nordstrom Rack and picked up a pair of NIke Free's that were made for running..and I've never looked back.

They are the most comfortable shoes around.. and I love running outside in them!
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It wasn't feasible for me to go to a running store either (kids, work AND the closest one is 50+ miles). I bought Saucony based on recommendations from runner friends, and love them.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    But with 2 babies, Idk how going in there with my double stroller and keeping them occupied while I do various running tests and try on multiple pairs of shoes will go. lol

Later in the thread, you mentioned that your husband already checked out a running store. Sounds simple enough, take the hubby along and he can watch the kids while you get the shoes fitted properly. Nothing says the kids cannot be entertained for an hour at the local bar, if he has any objections. LOL.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Love my Asics! Do to a high arch I tossed in a second liner and some days I'll chuck in a third if I'm really going to be pounding them out. Great shoes, can't imagine going to anything else... maybe Addidas again if I could find a store that carried them in a good selection around here.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    Brooks Ghost 4s. Or even the 3s. Got fitted for mine at Fleet Feet and they said this shoe is the best all-around shoe for most gait types.