C25k~ Running Shoes~ HELP :)

Options

Replies

• dwurth2
    dwurth2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree with going to the running store to get the proper shoe for your foot, but DON'T buy it there! Go to runningwarehouse.com and buy it there. They usually aways have the same shoe for less $$ and you can almost always google a promo code which will give you an additional $10 off the shoe. I generally save between $30-50 off the cost of what the same shoe would cost me at the running store!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be running regularly, it IS that important to get the proper shoe. Please find time to do it.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what I did...went in with NO clue what I was looking for. They brought out 3 different brands for me and I just tried them all on and decided which was most comfy. I got a pair of Saucony Omni 10s. LOVE LOVE LOVE them! BUT...that's for MY feet. You might decide that the New Balace or Asics they brought me were better. It really is best just to go and ask for help. That's what they're there for!
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I used this Fitness Magazine article to help narrow down brands. http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/gear/running-shoes/2012-sneaker-guide/?sssdmh=dm17.606454&esrc=nwftn070912&email=3089862336

I ended up getting this Saucony shoe http://www.saucony.com/store/SiteController/saucony/productdetails?stockNumber=10121-10&showDefaultOption=true&skuId=***4*******10121-10*M120&productId=4-106890&searched=true

They are down to $68 as of today! I paid that same price in March with a promo code (I bought mine from Footlocker.com though). It's a really good shoe. I have flat feet so I needed something with a lot of arch support. :)

Also, I'm doing C25K and it's been great! There will be some getting used to them (there is a video on the site about why) but I love them!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    You really need to be fitted by a professional. Depending on how you run, and what your legs and feet do during your stride, whether you need arch support or not: it all matters on what shoe you get.!!!!!

If you can't get to a reputable running store with trained professionals, at least use this site to figure out what brands might work.

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor

I had mine fitted by a podiatrist who is a runner. I had to have custom inserts, but most shoes, properly fitted to your gate will be a great advantage.

I am sure you'll get lots of opinions - but your leg geometry and gate are very individual.

Plan on spending $90-$200. Don't overlook brands that are not on this list. For all the purists, it was recommended that I get the Skechers model with the leaf spring which I bought 8 pairs at the mall on sale for $50 each. They last about 500-600 miles. Go figure.

For the kiddies - Goldfish and occasionally vodka. ;)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I agree with going to the running store to get the proper shoe for your foot, but DON'T buy it there! Go to runningwarehouse.com and buy it there. They usually aways have the same shoe for less $$ and you can almost always google a promo code which will give you an additional $10 off the shoe. I generally save between $30-50 off the cost of what the same shoe would cost me at the running store!!

Yes, this is true, but I feel that the store invests a lot of money in hiring and training their employees to assists you and it's only fair that you support them (if you can afford it). We need to keep these kinds of stores in business so that we can continue to have this type of service around. That said, I usually order subsequent pairs of the same shoes off of the internet. I generally check in with a running store every 4-5 years because your body changes over time.
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've had Nike Lunar Glide, Nike Free, Saucony , Brooks, Asics, New Balance and Adidas. All Great shoes but it depends on what your needs are. I have high arches and I over-pronate. I look for shoes made for these issues.
    Also, The Nike Free's I end up wearing to walk around in day to day because they're almost like being barefoot and for running I need extra stability and support.

Find a runner or knowledgeable sales person to fit you and get you what you need because you don't want to end up with a "barefoot shoe" if you land hard and are prone to shin splints.
    Take an old pair of atheltic or running shoes with you so the person fitting you can see the wear and tear on your shoes....they leave signs of how you run or land.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I had the shopping dilema to.

I went into DI CKs Sporting goods and explained that I was looking for a getting started shoe but not a cheap and nasty.

I explained that I was using a treadmill.

Tried on a few and settled for Brooks shoes, and the commitment from the manager that if I used them on the treadmill, didn't scuff them up and didn't like them he'd take them back.

Having the shoe makes a huge difference, now my muscles ache not my knees.

Also I just looked up the shoes on Runningwarehouse.com and they are only $8 cheaper and I'd have had to pay shipping, so I'm happy to pay the $8 try them on and be able to return them.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I couldn't squeeze out the money to get properly fitted for shoes, so I went to the Ross and made a pile of all of the running shoes that were available in my size with supportive arches (plantar faciitis). Just tried each pair on, ran down the back aisle of the store, and tried on the next pair, repeated. I made sure to go while the store was mostly empty, and explained to the clerks what I was doing. I found a great pair for only 30 bucks. Not exactly professional, but it worked for me. Gotta go back and do it again, since after six months mine have finally given out.
    As far as keeping kids occupied while shopping, mine like to play on my phone and goldfish are helpful.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    But with 2 babies, Idk how going in there with my double stroller and keeping them occupied while I do various running tests and try on multiple pairs of shoes will go. lol

Later in the thread, you mentioned that your husband already checked out a running store. Sounds simple enough, take the hubby along and he can watch the kids while you get the shoes fitted properly. Nothing says the kids cannot be entertained for an hour at the local bar, if he has any objections. LOL.

LOL I would love to have him help... unfortunately he just left for a 9 month deployment :( If he were here things would be a lot easier :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    My first few times buying trainers, I actually went into a store and tried on what they had. I went to Modell's. They didn't have a big selection but the prices were good. After that, I started buying online. I think that if you read the reviews and aren't terribly hard to fit, that's good enough.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Shoes are the single largest investment you will make in a running program. You don't need fancy pads, jerseys, sticks, or skates...you just need your shoes and the road. Going to a reputable running store is your best option. Quite often these will be the stores who promote races in your area (check out Active.Com for a listing of races...if you dig deep, you may find some stores sponsoring races in your area. I would suggest you do avoid larger chain stores as they tend to have younger, inexperienced staff... Walmart shoes do not lend themselves to happy feet)

Everyone's feet and gait are different. They will look at your gait and They will make recommendations based upon this. They will likely have you try on 3-4 different shoes to find a comfortable fit.

The best stores I find are the ones that actually have a treadmill and will let you run with the shoes for a few minutes. Its kind of a try before you buy program. Make sure the store also has a reasonable return policy. I've quite often brought home new shoes and found they weren't quite right once I hit the open road. You may want to return them if such is the case.

I can't stress how important your shoes are to a running program... also keep in mind that like any other piece of equipment your shoes will wear out. The recommended abuse cycle for a pair of quality running shoes is 500 miles or less. They can look brand new, but the support will break down on them and can actually lead to injury.

As you are a new runner, You may want to consider logging your mileage while running to track your progress. It helps monitor your shoe life, but is useful in tracking your progression. I usually record how far I've gone, how I've felt and what I thought I could do better. Now that I've been running for several years, I still look back and see what I did when I started. It reassures me of my growth and makes me feel fantastic.

Good Luck!

Enjoy the Road!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to the running store. My first two pair of running shoes were totally different because my running changed the more efficient I got at it. The stores are there to help you.

The idea of someone the watch your little ones is excellent! You need to focus on your needs for a sec. The shoes are going to go a long way towards your success. Take the time and do it right!
  • hypergrl
    hypergrl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have to agree; please go to the running shoe store! Going to a Sport's Authority or something like doesn't help most of the time because the salepeople don't really know what they are talking about...I had to take my shoes back and return them which was a waste of time and money.

I'm a hard fit and it helps to know what "type" of runner you are too so you get the right kind of shoe. I came away with some Brooks that were about $100.00 + tax.
  • krystle_swope
    Options
    So, I am looking to starting C25K, and have gotten some really good advice from everyone on the site :)
    The main thing I keep hearing is GOOD RUNNING SHOES and how important it is! Most say go to a running store, and get fitted and tested for the shoes you need.. Which sounds like a great plan, and I am going to try to do that. But with 2 babies, Idk how going in there with my double stroller and keeping them occupied while I do various running tests and try on multiple pairs of shoes will go. lol

With that said... Are there certain Brands I should be looking for? What are the best? What are the generally good ones, that aren't necessarily the most expensive!? I don't want to walk in looking like I have no clue what I'm doing or looking for and get talked into buying the most expensive pair in the store because I'm distracted and ready to get out of there! LOL

I'm a beginning runner (you could pretty much say I've barely ran a day in my life, except from the cops as a kid lol) and I have a high arch. I do not walk on the inners, or outers of my feet... I walk straight and have no wear on either sides of my normal shoes. Idk if that helps?

Thanks!!!

Way to go to start the committment! I did the running shoe store, assesment thing and honestly I ended up paying $130 for pavement pounders that hurt my ankles after about 6 months (Saucony's).

I ended up going to Finish Line and getting a pair of Brooks which were almost half the price (around $80) plus they are SUPER comfortable and cushion-y. It look my legs awhile to get used to them because I was so used to my other pair but the more I ran the more I got used to them.

I suggest you stay away from Nike's, that's the only other advice I would give. Their running shoes are just... not comfortable. at all.

Happy running! :)
  • _Ivian
    _Ivian Posts: 198
    Options
    I went to our local Nordstrom Rack and picked up a pair of NIke Free's that were made for running..and I've never looked back.

They are the most comfortable shoes around.. and I love running outside in them!

I absolutely love my Nike Free's!!! It's like I transform when I'm running in them! I swear I could hear them yelling at me, "ONE MORE MILE!" :laugh:

These worked for me and Dad but getting a proper fitting is the best thing you can do for yourself and your body. I'm planning on doing it soon but since the Nike's have been working magic for me, I've stuck with them. When they kick the bucket, I'll go get fitted. :smile: Good luck!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've only been running since January, and I've had two pairs of shoes in that time, both Asics. I've always liked the way they fit and have used them for my other workouts, so felt comfortable using them for running when I started, and have had no issues. So if there is a brand that you like and you know fit you well, and you don't have any issues as you go through the program, go with those.

However, after reading SO much advice about getting analyzed and fitted at a running store (and now that I know where the running stores are in my city, and one has the treadmill to do the analysis), I am definitely going in before I buy my next pair of shoes. Curious to see if I can find a shoe that I like even better than my Asics, or if I made the right choice.

Hopefully you can get a friend to go with you and entertain your kids like someone else suggested. :smile: Good luck - and good job going through c25k!
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be running regularly, it IS that important to get the proper shoe. Please find time to do it.

^^THIS^^

Remember = Form/Function over Fashion!!!! Don't pick out a pair of shoes just because you think they are cute! Pick them out because they are the right shoe for you!
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I went to Fleet Feet in my area- the first pair I tried, after running 2x in the indoor track, (wearing them to and from the gym) and they just didn't feel right. So I went back and they took them back no questions asked! They had me run in the other pair, (Saucony's) told me they looked a lot better on my feet when I ran and exchanged them. If you can't afford them now, (which I couldn't the first time) I went in, got fitted, they put them in the computer for me and then I saved up for them. SOOOOOO glad I spent the extra $ on the good shoes. It makes ALL the difference in the world!
  • violanotte12
    violanotte12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    About a year ago, I bought a pair of running shoes from a department store (without a formal fitting) because I didn't want to invest in "real" running shoes if I wasn't going to like running. A year, 3 races, and an episode of shin splints later, I knew I had to go for the real deal.

I was fitted for new shoes this week and I absolutely love them (Mizuno Wave Runner 15's). I also have a high arch, so I also got a pair of inserts to support my arch - they make all the difference in the world.

One tip, if you don't want to invest in $100+ shoes is to go for a fitting, take note of what you like/what they recommend, and look for an older model of the same shoe online. The models don't change much from year to year. However, be prepared to spend ~$40 on inserts to support your arch (but these can be used for 4-5 pairs of shoes, so it's more of a one-time investment).

Good luck!