5-6 cups of coffee a day..

Options
13»

Replies

• wndfrancis
    wndfrancis Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I drink loads of it, somewhere between 7 and 15 cups a day! I have however recently changed to de-caf because i had an overload of caffeine which was making me really really tired!! i'm not tired anymore unless i have had a late night but then i have 1 'normal' coffee which perks me up.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I dont think the coffee is bad....I am wary of Splenda though. I drink my coffee black but if you need sweetener I'd use Truvia or Stevia its natural.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Is this bad? I drink each with 2 splenda... I can't help myself, I'm a coffee addict.

Yes and No.

1- Splenda...it's 2 molecules from DDT which is used in pest control. Try Truvia
    2- according to Dr. Oz it's ok. Just be careful what you put in it. Non of the flavored crap as that's a lot of wasted calories.

please dont use the 2 molecules away excuse...anyone with a limited science background will disregard everything else you say.

(im not saying its not harmful but you cant look at it that way as the reason it may or may not be)
  • Hadassk
    Hadassk Posts: 63
    Options
    On most days I drink about 3 BIG cups of coffee. I love it and I feel there is no need to cut down. I take mine with fat free half n' half and splenda. I say if it's starting to affect you (jittery and lack of sleep) then you should try to cut down little by little...otherwise happy drinking. :drinker:
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I drink it more for the taste than the energy kick it gives me. Do you think changing to decaf would make any difference?

It wouldn't make any difference in taste, but you wouldn't be giving your body a load of caffeine every day. That's not good in the long run. If you don't want to cut back on coffee (which I wouldn't want), then I'd say give decaf a try.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    But it's so amusing for the rest of us!

My story: I had severe hypertension - I mean, "the red cross wouldn't take my blood" levels - and my doctor knee-jerked me a blood pressure medicine...

But rather than be on drugs for the rest of my life (involuntarily, I mean), I stopped my 6-cup-a-day habit and my blood pressure dropped to normal levels.

I now do 2 cups and all is well.

YMMV of course, that's just one person's story.

I have heard of one other person having a similar experience... although she was drinking hers black, and all she did was start using cream in it; she didn't reduce the amount of coffee at all, and her pressure went down.

I, on the other hand, have blood pressure that is so LOW I've been turned away (the range to give blood is 90/50 to 180/100-anything over or under on any of the numbers-diastolic or systolic can get you turned away). The only time I have normal blood pressure is when I'm pregnant-when lots of women experience problems with high BP. lol And I drink 3 of my travel mugs daily-morning, afternoon, and evening. That's actually about six cups of coffee. If the coffee is raising my blood pressure, then it's helpful to me. :)
  • dunnweb
    dunnweb Posts: 49
    Options
    Trying replacing a few cups with hot green tea. It has a good amount of caffeine in it as well but is overall better for your health/teeth.
  • AngieFlames
    AngieFlames Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I usually have about 3 cups a day. One in the morning with breakfast, sometimes a Timmy's after lunch, and then my after supper cup.
    I always have it with half a teaspoon of sugar - 10 calories and 1 teaspoon of coffee whitener (no name I believe is 20 calories for the low fat kind).

I used to drink 1 to 2 pots per day with way more sugar and creamer and have been slowly cutting down. Definitely can't function unless I have at least 2 cups.
    I drink water and green tea all day at work.
  • katiekrusher
    katiekrusher Posts: 143
    Options
    Now I want some more coffee, haha! Guess I'm making another pot now!
  • Ekoria
    Ekoria Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Fairly standard for me. I drink it black with no sugar/sweetener. Also I drink full caffeinated coffee,no decaff...I crash if I don't drink enough now!
  • nofatpants4me
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. My doctor has warned me that this much caffeine leeches calcium from bones, which may cause early onset of osteoporosis! If you can, try to decrease your intake... or alternate caffeinated and non-caffeinated over the day. Cutting back isn't realistic or sustainable while I'm still in school... but as soon as I'm out, I'm looking to cut the caffeine substantially!
  • nofatpants4me
    Options
    I had to cut back on caffeine 2 years ago because I have been diagnosed with osteopenia. That's why I do the 1/2 caff. Plus, I don't get the jitters if I drink too much. I go for another bone density scan in the fall, we'll see what happens. I do NOT want to take meds for osteo. Everything in moderation & exercise.