Looking for runners, or wannabe runners, or novice runners

Options

Replies

• danimal97
    danimal97 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Any and all...add me. Started running about a year and a half ago, with 5K's and training for a sprint triathlon. Had an injury that sidlined me for about 6 months during which I lost my fitness level and gained back the weight I had lost. I just got started again two weeks ago. "Running" is a very optimistic term for what I do...I currently call my activity "wogging" because my speed falls somewhere between a fast walk and a jog. But, my time gets better everyday!
  • elliehale
    elliehale Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just started running too the past couple of weeks.
    I am struggling to keep going when it starts to hurt.

I really need to motivation and support!!
    I just can't seem to get to the part where I love running and can push through the wall.
    Has anyone else started off hating running and then grown to love it??
    How do you make that happen?

Cheers! Xxx
  • lonestarchica
    Options
    You may add me. I just joined, and I have no friends. I can totally see how the support can help. I used to run until I hurt my back. I hope to start running again within the next month or so. I'm DYING to get back to running!!
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Oh I dream of the day I can get on the path and run from one end of this city to the other. Sadly I'm good for about a quarter mile than my calves (mainly the outter portion) cramp so bad I could cry. My running stops and I have to walk about a 2.5mph pace.

I am determined to hit the 8min mile though! I will succeed! I will NOT FAIL!
  • JIGGLYbellyPUFF
    JIGGLYbellyPUFF Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm a "runner" but I'm trying! I just finished my first 20 minute run earlier today! (doing c25k it's w5d3). I'd love to do the bridge to 10k program after this and then maybe one of those disneyland half marathons. :)

Feel free to add me anyone!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I just started running too the past couple of weeks.
    I am struggling to keep going when it starts to hurt.

I really need to motivation and support!!
    I just can't seem to get to the part where I love running and can push through the wall.
    Has anyone else started off hating running and then grown to love it??
    How do you make that happen?

Cheers! Xxx

I think running is just as mental as it is physical. I used to hate running (and fear it a bit, too) with a passion, but one day, I decided I wanted to face my fear and just do it! I even started dreaming that I could. I started out really slow, but quickly kicked it up to 5k runs. The physical part would have come regardless, but I had to mentally prepare for loving it. It was a conscious decision I had to make. I don't know if it works this way for everyone, but when I put my mind to something, I am pretty darned determined to accomplish it.
  • Stutz77
    Stutz77 Posts: 113
    Options
    I would say I'm a wanna be runner. I am about to start agian next week with C25K, I had gotten 3 weeks into and had to away for work and was not in an area were I could run and there was no gym at the hotel. Then I re-injured my knee that I messed up when I was in the Army. I am all set again in the doctor is okay with me trying again.

Feel free to add me! I need all the help and advice with running!
  • iconnor
    iconnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    hi, feel free to add me! getting back into running, signed up for the marine corps marathon as an attempt to get motivated!
  • freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Please add me. I ran a 5k at 60 because my children thought I could not do it and as it was a charity run pledged £1 for every minute under 60..., that cost them. I liked it and started to run. It has been a bit off and on but more off. Now 65 I have just retired and have a place on a 10 mile run in October( I thought I needed motivation) . I have spent 1 week working in the gym ( it is VERY wet in UK) and realised exactly how unfit I am. I wear galsses and hate runningh in the rain but at the rate this summer is going I will have to get used to it.Tomorrow is supposed to be dry so I am determined to get out and start a walk run programme to get me ready for the race.I did it 3 years agoa nd it took me 2 hours 3 mins so I would love to beat 2 hours and 1 hr 50 would be brilliant.
    Any motivational support would be great, every run starts with the first step.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I added you, and would love some more runner friends! I started running a few months ago as a necessity because I was training for my first triathlon (which is tomorrow - eep!) and I fell in love. Since then, i've done two 5ks, I have one more in July and a 10k in October. Hopefully a few more triathlons in there, too!
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have never thought of myself as a runner but I guess I am. :-). Currently, I do run 3-4 miles around 4/week. A few years ago I trained for a half marathon only to come down with a ferocious norovirus a few days before the race then developed plantar fascitis that sidelined me for a year. So, I am now contemplating my next running goals while slowly gaining mileage (after I lose a little more weight!). Feel free to add me.
  • _canuckrunner_
    _canuckrunner_ Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hey Miguel - feel free to add me. I've been running for a while, training for my first half marathon in October.
  • irishbrat77
    Options
    Just started running under 3 months ago after never having done it in my life and I'm IN LOVE!!! lol I'm up to 5k now but my goal is to eventually run a half marathon, hopefully next year.

Sending you a friend request. Any other runners or wanna be runners out there feel free to add me too :)
  • Chigger56
    Chigger56 Posts: 105
    Options
    Runner here!! Ran alot years ago. Lost weight and started again and did 3 miles today!! YAY FOR ME!!! Dont know if I ever will do halfs or fulls but a 5k could be in my future. If ya want another runner friend feel free to add me.
  • miguelrunner
    miguelrunner Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This is SO COOL! I didn't realize there were so many runners here! Doesn't matter to me whether you're a 1k or Ironman triathlete, just as long as we're all "trying." :smile:

I could only add 5 people at a time before MFP told me to wait 10 mins. If you posted above and I didn't add you, could YOU please add ME? Also, my friends' list are ALL runners! Please connect with them and let's encourage each other.

Thanks again!
    Miguel http://miguelrunner.com
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm a runner, but I run. Actually I had my first race today (6.32Km trail race) I did pretty well for an old guy! :-)
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I'm really looking forward to the day I can honestly say without hesitation...."I am a runner". :)

If you run, then you are a runner. Period. Check out John Bingham; he has some great books and articles on that very subject.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    should we start a group for new runners? what do you all think? I found this one. it looked pretty good

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/47-happy-feet-runners-unite
  • dntworribhappi
    dntworribhappi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hey Miguel. I too am looking for more running friends. I too enjoy running and have run a variety of distance races up to half-marathon distance. I'm looking to increase my speed as I'm slow. I will add you & welcome any adds from other people who run or who want to run.
  • rob021880
    rob021880 Posts: 28
    Options
    One of my favorite running quotes.

"People can't understand why a man runs. They don't see any sport in it. They argue it lacks the sight and thrill of body contact. Yet, the conflict is there, more raw and challenging than any man versus man competition. For, in running it is man against himself, the cruelest of opponents. The other runners are not the real enemies. His adversary lies within him, in his ability, with brain and heart to master himself and his emotions." - Glen Cunningham; 2-time Olympian

I've been running for a few years... started in the military because I had to, but now I run for fun... feel free to add.

Rob