Does exercise really matter?

Options
124»

Replies

• BuckeyeBabe10
    BuckeyeBabe10 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Questioning the need for exercise vs only focusing on caloric intake, is like saying you could "loose 80 pounds overnight," by simply cutting-off both of your legs with a chainsaw...

Haha, by chance were you purposely referencing Dr. Weird from Aqua Teen Hunger Force (because if so, that's awesome!)?
    This grosses me out/cracks me up every time --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUAPDvo2UBM

"All sugars gone...manually!"
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    The more muscle you gain by exercising, the faster the fat is going to burn off because for every pound of muslce, it takes more calories to burn fat which equals faster weight loss. It's also healthier for you. Just keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you really work out like the 30DS then you may not lose any weight, but you will lose fat, and you will look better.

This is what i want :(
  • digitalodin
    digitalodin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    From the different communities I've seen, it's pretty commonly agreed that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. So far I'd have to agree with that completely. Scientifically it's just as simple as calories in / calories out. You can lose the weight on diet alone. I don't recommend it though because exercise is sooooo good for your body and mind. There's research that shows it helps with depression and stress. How awesome is that!

In the end my advice is mainly focus on nutrition first (don't go to the hospital for something stupid like vitamin deficiency), calories second, and then go for a walk if you've got time. Eventually you'll walk at a faster pace and decide you might like jogging, maybe even lifting heavy things! Who knows!?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Cutting calories makes you weak. Exercise makes you STRONG (like bull)!
  • jo_dibs
    jo_dibs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Here is a perfect example of how much exercise matters. If you want to just weigh less, then that's cool, but if you want to look better, I think exercise is essential. Check out this lady. Same weight, but HUGE difference. The number on the scale is such an inconsistent measure of health imo.

http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/06/22/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    If you like to eat like me, exercise definitely makes a difference. You can eat more if you exercise and still lose weight (obviously staying within your calories, of course). I didn't work out tonight and it sucks because I want to relax and snack away....
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    They've actually done studies on this. If you exercise (like, REALLY exercise, not just a brisk walk or a jog), you will actually lose weight slower, but you'll be losing fat just as fast.

Which studies would these be?
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Questioning the need for exercise vs only focusing on caloric intake, is like saying you could "loose 80 pounds overnight," by simply cutting-off both of your legs with a chainsaw...

Pretty much! lol
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I would have never maintained my 70lb weight loss for over 20years without exercise and that is a fact. Exercise is why I don't look 40, which I will be in a few weeks. Exercise is why I don't have diabetes(which is VERY prevalent in my family), cholesterol problems (like my brother has), why I'm not seeing a cardiologist like my brother (he's only 3 yrs older than me), my stress relief since I don't drink anymore, gives me confidence, my anti-depressant. I can go on and on. you can be skinny or you can be healthy..your choice but if you choose skinny then don't expect that to last in your 40s when you start losing muscle and your metabolism slows down.