What's in your salad?

Options

Replies

• caraguard
    caraguard Posts: 41
    Options
    I like making my own salads with a little bit of EVOO and an infused vinegar. You can find all sorts of delicious balsamic vinegars (light and dark) infused with different fruit and herb blends. It can make a great switch-up for a boring salad! I found a cranberry-pear white balsamic at a local oil & vinegar emporium near me and it rocks my world!
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe online (on pinterest as a matter of fact) and I tried it out with spicy cauliflower bites. I'm a ranch lover but I avoid it now because how terrible it is. This recipe lets me do my dipping and I don't notice much of a difference. I think everyone needs to play with the recipe to get his/her level of thickness. Worth trying for those ranch lovers out there...

1 cup Dannon Oikos plain nonfat greek yogurt
    1 packet hidden valley ranch (dressing, not dip)
    1/2 cup 1% milk

Whisk together in bowl and chill for 1 hour before serving. (Fills a small mason jar.) There is a lot of talk about HOW much milk to use, to get the right consistency and I found this dead on for 'regular' ranch or any other creamy dressing. The best part....this ENTIRE jar of dressing, is only 255 calories, 1.75 grams of fat, 42 carbs and 34 protein. That calculates to 8pts on the new points plus system. For an entire jar of dressing. I would hazard a guess that this would yield about 20-24 servings.
  • LeeshaNichole
    LeeshaNichole Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My new favroite type of salad is:

Spring mix
    baby spinach
    Fuji apple cut in small pieces
    Strawberries cut in small pieces
    dried cran cherries
    Almond slices
    A tiny bit of Wishbone Raspberry hazelnut vinaigrette

I put the apple and strawberries in a bowl about 20-30 mins before I am gonna eat, I toss them around together every few minutes. This gets the juice from both in the bottom of the bowl and gives it a natural dressing, so you can use even less of the bottled stuff. Plus it just makes it taste better!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    romaine
    baby spinach
    flowers
    cranberries
    mushrooms
    purple onions
    shredded carrots
    egg whites
    bell peppers
    tomatoes
    feta
    black olives
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I love salads and I'll put everything in my fridge's veggie draws into it, top with nuts and grapes and frozen (defrosted) peas! A sprinkle of some kind of cheese and voila!!! Dressing: Bob Evans Fat Free Ranch.................so good!!! or whatever I have on hand.
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Everything!! It really depends what is in my CSA basket each week, but this week it has been:

Romaine
    beet chips
    kohlrabi
    peas
    carrots
    radish
    tomato
    cucumbers

to that I will add one or more of the following:
    chicken
    avocado
    egg
    feta
    pecans/almonds/walnuts
    fruit
    steak

I love Newman's Own Light Lime dressing, or just lemon and olive oil.
  • Boobookittyfq
    Boobookittyfq Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    i looooooooove salads! :heart:

Spring mix, mango,avacado,almond slices, feta cheese, olive oil, pomegranate vinegar (add shrimp or chicken)

Spinach,tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, purple onions, basalmic vinegar,olive oil (usually pair it with rotisserie chicken)

Spring mix, asian pears, dried craberries, sliced almonds, feta cheese, low fat greek dressing 2 tablespoons
    (grilled chicken)

spring mix, strawberries, feta cheese, pecans, purple onions, low fat greek dressing

the list goes on>>>>>>>> ....lol
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Love my "big-*kitten* salad" every day! Warning, this isn't "low-calorie" by any means. It's usually between 800-1200. And I love every bite!

Broccoli slaw (shredded broccoli), shredded cabbage, baby spinach, whatever leftover meat I have (usually ribeye steak or wild salmon), green onions, cherry tomatoes, carrots and whatever optional stuff I feel like (below). I make my own AWESOME dressing, I call it "inferno dressing" because it has a big kick: 2-3 TBS olive oil and/or macadamia nut oil, 1 TBS apple cider vinegar, 1 TBS water, salt/pepper, lots of garlic, parsley, thyme, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, squirt of siracha, 2-3 TBS wholly guacamole.

Optional add-ins depending on what I feel like:
    feta or goat cheese
    walnuts or almonds
    blueberries or cranberries or chopped apples or dried cherries
    hard-boiled egg whites
    red onions
    bacon
    cucumbers
    red or green peppers
  • chinita96
    chinita96 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I make a few salads:

Pear Salad:
    Spinach or Spring Mix
    chopped pears
    carmelized pecans
    goat/blue cheese
    sliced almonds
    store bought pear vinegarette

Regular salad:
    Spring Mix with Romaine Lettuce
    Broccoli Slaw
    Cherry/Grape Tomatoes
    Cucumbers if I have them
    Vinegarette of some kind or light ranch

Sometimes I will add a mixture of the following: cranberries, pine nuts, sliced almonds, chopped pecans, mandarin oranges, artichoke hearts, edamame, soybeans, strawberries, salmon, and steak.
  • pinballwizzo
    Options
    I actually eat this salad very very often: Iceberg lettuce, avocado, and sliced tomato. But I try and mix it up, I use seeds, pepper, zucchini, or boca burger pieces as an add-on (or a replacement for avocado).

I like to use Brianna's Poppy Seed Dressing, mustard, or a mix of olive oil and vinegar.
  • EastCincyDad
    EastCincyDad Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's got to have tomatoes. And banana peppers rock! Mushrooms rock almost as much as banana peppers.

Any type of lettuce. Carrots, broccoli, cauliflower.

Just about any other vegetable is welcome.

Low cal ranch or italian dressing.

Meat (turkey, chicken) is welcome but not necessary with all the above. Cheese is OK but not missed at all (so why put it on?).
  • TheBigBoots
    TheBigBoots Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My go-to salad is:

arugula
    orange bell pepper
    red onion
    celery
    shaved fennel
    cucumber
    black olives
    Avocado
    Nutritional yeast (on top)
    Some kind of lean protein
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    romaine lettuce or a baby lettuce mix
    baby spinach
    cucumbers
    red(or yellow or orange) peppers
    tomatoes
    sometimes I add shredded red cabbage
    for protein I sometimes add a can of albacore tuna in water, caned chicken, rotisserie chicken, either chicken or turkey from the deli
    hard boiled eggs
    lately I have been enjoying toasted walnuts, a bit of crumbled feta, and dried cranberries on top
    I also like roasted red peppers
    For dressing, I usually just drizzle evoo and balsamic vinegar with some salt and pepper. If I am feeling adventurous I will make an actual oil and vinegar dressing to which I add mustard and honey and some italian herbs.
  • owndbycatz
    owndbycatz Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Salads are a staple in my diet these days. They allow me to eat a lot of bulk, are nutrient rich, and low cal.

I generally make up a huge portion (about 12-16 cups) of salad at a time, minus any "wet" items like tomatoes and store it in covered containers in the fridge. This lets me take out one serving at a time and add protein (tuna, chicken breast, etc.) and any high cal items like olives in controlled amounts. I store the ingredients of each new mega salad as a recipe in MFP and assume 2 cups makes up a single serving to add to my diary.

It's made up of a variety of items, depending on what vegies I have on hand at the time, but generally includes baby spinach or spring salad mix as a base, to which I add sweet peppers (red, green, orange, yellow), shredded red cabbage, baby bok choy, napa cabbage, celery, red onions, scallions, etc.

And, ever since I learned what a rich source of calcium it is, I ALWAYS add arugula.

I generally use plain rice vinegar as a dressing, but if I want something with more flavor, I add to the rice vinegar: crushed garlic and dijon or wasabi mustard.
  • SordidEuphemism
    Options
    This is not a bookmark.
    (This is a bookmark.)
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Lettuce, carrots, red cabbage, mushrooms, pepperocinis, cheddar cheese, couple croutons, bacon (real), Breakstone's LiveActive cottage cheese (this is my "dressing"), red wine vinegar.

AND there's another that has

Lettuce, onion, carrots, cranberries, smoked chicken, walnuts, shredded coconut, balsamic vinegar, barbecue sauce
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My perfect salad (which I make quite often):

Spring mix
    4oz. Baked chicken seasoned with pepper and a little bit of garlic
    1 whole sliced pear
    2 Tbsp crumbly gorgonzola cheese
    1 Tbsp dried cranberries
    1 Tbsp pecans
    2 Tbsp lite balsamic vinagrette

So good!

This sound so yummy! Thank You for posting!

My personal Favorite:

Romaine or spring mix
    Chick Peas (Garbanzo) 1/4th cup
    Cherry Tomatoes
    Red Onion
    Starkist White Albacore Pouch Tuna
    Ken's Lite Oil & Vinegar
  • glennaparks
    glennaparks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Fresh Express Harvest Originals (mix of four heads of exotic lettuces)
    Broccoli
    Celery
    Parsley

Top with chicken, walnuts, and a garlicky dressing!
  • ethansmug
    ethansmug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Lettuce, tomato, sprinkle of cheese, and a burrito.
  • comet_wow
    comet_wow Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bumping for ideas :)